Radial and nonradial static efficiency decompositions: a focus on congestion measurement
We summarize and extend the existing frontier literature by outlining proper ways of decomposing efficiency using both radial and nonradial efficiency measures when using nonparametric, deterministic frontier models. Our contribution relates to a recent paper of Viton (Transportation Research-B 31, 23-39, 1997) analysing the efficiency of U.S. multi-mode bus transit systems. In particular, the author evaluates the technical efficiency, congestion and scale properties of these companies. Due to a methodological mistake he could not detect congestion in his sample. Our proposals remedy this problem and focus on the underexplored issue of proper congestion measurement in general and in transport in particular.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 32 (1998)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viton, Philip A., 1997. "Technical efficiency in multi-mode bus transit: A production frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 23-39, February.
- Viton, Philip A., 1992. "Consolidations of scale and scope in urban transit," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 25-49, March.
- FERRIER, Gary & KERSTENS, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1994.
"Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on a DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison using US Banking Data,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ferrier, G. D. & Kerstens, K. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., "undated". "Radial and nonradial technical efficiency measures on a DEA reference technology: a comparison using US banking data," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1156, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gary D. FERRIER & Kristiaan KERSTENS & Philippe VANDEN EECKAUT, 1994. "Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison Using US Banking Data," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1994043, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Marchand, M. & Mintz, J. & Pestieau, P., 1984.
"Shadow pricing of labour and capital in an economy with unemployed labour,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 239-252, July.
- Marchand, M. & Mintz, J. & Pestieau, P., "undated". "Shadow pricing of labour and capital in an economy with unemployed labour," CORE Discussion Papers RP 628, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- KERSTENs, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1995. "Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA and FDH : A Reconsideration of the Axiomatic Literature," CORE Discussion Papers 1995013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lovell, C A Knox, 1983. " The Structure of Technical Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 181-190.
- Wilson, Paul W., 1991. "The highway speed-volume relationship revisited," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 202-206, March.
- John McDonald, 1996. "Note: A Problem with the Decomposition of Technical Inefficiency into Scale and Congestion Components," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 473-474, March.
- Patricia Byrnes & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & C. A. Knox Lovell, 1988. "The Effect of Unions on Productivity: U.S. Surface Mining of Coal," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(9), pages 1037-1053, September.
- Ray, Subhash C. & Kim, Hiung Joon, 1995. "Cost efficiency in the US steel industry: A nonparametric analysis using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 654-671, February.
- Isabelle Piot-Lepetit & Dominique Vermersch & Robert Weaver, 1997. "Agriculture's environmental externalities: DEA evidence for French agriculture," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 331-338.
- Chu, Xuehao & Fielding, Gordon J. & Lamar, Bruce W., 1992. "Measuring transit performance using data envelopment analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 223-230, May.
- Zieschang, Kimberly D., 1984. "An extended farrell technical efficiency measure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-396, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:32:y:1998:i:5:p:299-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.