Geometric Representation of the Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Frontier Based upon the Shortage Function
The literature suggests that investors prefer portfolios based on mean, variance and skewness rather than portfolios based on mean-variance (MV) criteria solely. Furthermore, a small variety of methods have been proposed to determine mean-variance-skewness (MVS) optimal portfolios. Recently, the shortage function has been introduced as a measure of efficiency, allowing to characterize MVS optimalportfolios using non-parametric mathematical programming tools. While tracing the MV portfolio frontier has become trivial, the geometric representation of the MVS frontier is an open challenge. A hitherto unnoticed advantage of the shortage function is that it allows to geometrically represent the MVS portfolio frontier. The purpose of this contribution is to systematically develop geometric representations of the MVS portfolio frontier using the shortage function and related approaches.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, rue de la Digue, FR-59000 Lille|
Web page: http://www.ieseg.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Kerstens, 2005.
"Mean-Variance Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging:A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach,"
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2007. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 135-149, January.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2005. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Working Papers 2005-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens & O. Jokung, 2007. "Mean-variance-skewness portfolio performance gauging: A general shortage function and dual approach," Post-Print hal-00211572, HAL.
- Kane, Alex, 1982. "Skewness Preference and Portfolio Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 15-25, March.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Ferrier, G. D. & Kerstens, K. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., .
"Radial and nonradial technical efficiency measures on a DEA reference technology: a comparison using US banking data,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1156, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- FERRIER, Gary & KERSTENS, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1994. "Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on a DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison using US Banking Data," CORE Discussion Papers 1994023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gary D. FERRIER & Kristiaan KERSTENS & Philippe VANDEN EECKAUT, 1994. "Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison Using US Banking Data," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1994043, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Andre F. Perold, 1984. "Large-Scale Portfolio Optimization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(10), pages 1143-1160, October.
- Enrique Sentana & Javier Mencía, 2008.
"Multivariate Location-Scale Mixtures Of Normals And Mean-Variance-Skwness Portfolio Allocation,"
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2009. "Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 105-121, December.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2009. "Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation," Working Papers 0909, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015.
"The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Arditti, Fred D., 1975. "Skewness and Investors' Decisions: A Reply," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 173-176, March.
- Rubinstein, Mark E., 1973. "The Fundamental Theorem of Parameter-Preference Security Valuation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 61-69, January.
- Todd Mitton & Keith Vorkink, 2007. "Equilibrium Underdiversification and the Preference for Skewness," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1255-1288.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Leopold, 2006. "A robust nonparametric approach to evaluate and explain the performance of mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 516-542, November.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Jean Baptiste Lesourd, 2001. "Single Period Markowitz Portfolio Selection, Performance Gading and Duality: A Variation on Luenberger'a Shortage Function," Working Papers 0203, Departament Empresa, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, revised Apr 2002.
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
- Briec, W., 2000. "An extended Fare-Lovell technical efficiency measure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 191-199, April.
- Joseph Eisenhauer & Luigi Ventura, 2003. "Survey measures of risk aversion and prudence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(13), pages 1477-1484.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Sun, Qian & Yan, Yuxing, 2003. "Skewness persistence with optimal portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1111-1121, June.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Joro, Tarja & Na, Paul, 2006. "Portfolio performance evaluation in a mean-variance-skewness framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 446-461, November.
- Bertrand Maillet & Emmanuel Jurczenko, 2006. "Multi-moment Asset Allocation and Pricing Models," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00308990, HAL.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2007.
"Portfolio selection in multidimensional general and partial moment space,"
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2010. "Portfolio selection in multidimensional general and partial moment space," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 636-656, April.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2010. "Portfolio selection in multidimensional general and partial moment space," Post-Print halshs-00473219, HAL.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2009. "Portfolio Selection in Multidimensional General and Partial Moment Space," Working Papers 2009-ECO-08, IESEG School of Management.
- Jondeau, E. & Rockinger, M., 2004.
"Optimal Portfolio Allocation Under Higher Moments,"
108, Banque de France.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1976. "Skewness Preference and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1085-1100, September.
- Prakash, Arun J. & Chang, Chun-Hao & Pactwa, Therese E., 2003. "Selecting a portfolio with skewness: Recent evidence from US, European, and Latin American equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1375-1390, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ies:wpaper:e200817. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Marin)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.