Portfolio Selection with Higher Moments: A Polynomial Goal Programming Approach to ISE-30 Index
The aim of this paper is to propose a portfolio selection model which takes into account the investors preferences for higher return moments such as skewness and kurtosis. In the presence of skewness and kurtosis, the portfolio selection problem can be characterized with multiple conflicting and competing objective functions such as maximizing expected return and skewness, and minimizing risk and kurtosis, simultaneously. By constructing polynomial goal programming, in which investor preferences for skewness and kurtosis incorporated, a Turkish Stock Market example will be presented for the period from January 2005 to December 2010.
Volume (Year): 13 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (Special Issue of 12th International Symposium on Econommetrics, Operation Research and Statistics)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://eidergisi.istanbul.edu.tr|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kane, Alex, 1982. "Skewness Preference and Portfolio Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 15-25, March.
- Peiro, Amado, 1999. "Skewness in financial returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 847-862, June.
- Markus Haas, 2007. "Do investors dislike kurtosis?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(2), pages 1-9.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2007:i:2:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
- Bertrand Maillet & Emmanuel Jurczenko, 2006. "Multi-moment Asset Allocation and Pricing Models," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00308990, HAL.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1976. "Skewness Preference and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1085-1100, September.
- Scott, Robert C & Horvath, Philip A, 1980. " On the Direction of Preference for Moments of Higher Order Than the Variance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 915-19, September.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Siddique, Akhtar, 1999. "Autoregressive Conditional Skewness," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 465-487, December.
- Arditti, Fred D., 1971. "Another Look at Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 909-912, June.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ist:ancoec:v:13:y:2011:i:1:p:41-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kutluk Kagan Sumer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.