Geometric representation of the mean-variance-skewness portfolio frontier based upon the shortage function
The literature suggests that investors prefer portfolios based on mean, variance and skewness rather than portfolios based on mean-variance (MV) criteria solely. Furthermore, a small variety of methods have been proposed to determine meanvariance-skewness (MVS) optimal portfolios. Recently, the shortage function has been introduced as a measure of efficiency, allowing to characterize MVS optimal portfolios using non-parametric mathematical programming tools. While tracing the MV portfolio frontier has become trivial, the geometric representation of the MVS frontier is an open challenge. A hitherto unnoticed advantage of the shortage function is that it allows to geometrically represent the MVS portfolio frontier. The purpose of this contribution is to systematically develop geometric representations of the MVS portfolio frontier using the shortage function and related approaches.
|Date of creation:||18 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://research.hubrussel.be|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Kane, Alex, 1982. "Skewness Preference and Portfolio Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 15-25, March.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Joseph Eisenhauer & Luigi Ventura, 2003. "Survey measures of risk aversion and prudence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(13), pages 1477-1484.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2010.
"Portfolio selection in multidimensional general and partial moment space,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 636-656, April.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2009. "Portfolio Selection in Multidimensional General and Partial Moment Space," Working Papers 2009-ECO-08, IESEG School of Management.
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
- Joro, Tarja & Na, Paul, 2006. "Portfolio performance evaluation in a mean-variance-skewness framework," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 446-461, November.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Leopold, 2006. "A robust nonparametric approach to evaluate and explain the performance of mutual funds," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 516-542, November.
- Todd Mitton & Keith Vorkink, 2007. "Equilibrium Underdiversification and the Preference for Skewness," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1255-1288.
- FERRIER, Gary & KERSTENS, Kris & VANDENÂ EECKAUT, Philippe, 1994.
"Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on a DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison using US Banking Data,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gary D. FERRIER & Kristiaan KERSTENS & Philippe VANDEN EECKAUT, 1994. "Radial and Nonradial Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA Reference Technology : A Comparison Using US Banking Data," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1994043, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2007.
"Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach,"
INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 135-149, January.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2005. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Working Papers 2005-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2009.
"Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0909, Banco de Espa�a.
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2009. "Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 105-121, December.
- Enrique Sentana & Javier Mencía, 2008. "Multivariate Location-Scale Mixtures Of Normals And Mean-Variance-Skwness Portfolio Allocation," Working Papers wp2008_0805, CEMFI.
- Rubinstein, Mark E., 1973. "The Fundamental Theorem of Parameter-Preference Security Valuation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 61-69, January.
- Arditti, Fred D., 1975. "Skewness and Investors' Decisions: A Reply," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 173-176, March.
- Andre F. Perold, 1984. "Large-Scale Portfolio Optimization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(10), pages 1143-1160, October.
- Prakash, Arun J. & Chang, Chun-Hao & Pactwa, Therese E., 2003. "Selecting a portfolio with skewness: Recent evidence from US, European, and Latin American equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1375-1390, July.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens & O. Jokung, 2007. "Mean-variance-skewness portfolio performance gauging: A general shortage function and dual approach," Post-Print hal-00211572, HAL.
- Briec, W., 2000. "An extended Fare-Lovell technical efficiency measure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 191-199, April.
- Eric Jondeau & Michael Rockinger, 2006.
"Optimal Portfolio Allocation under Higher Moments,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(1), pages 29-55.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Sun, Qian & Yan, Yuxing, 2003. "Skewness persistence with optimal portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1111-1121, June.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1976. "Skewness Preference and the Valuation of Risk Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1085-1100, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hub:wpecon:200861. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.