Finding Closest Targets in Non-Oriented DEA Models: The Case of Convex and Non-Convex Technologies
This paper draws attention for the fact that traditional Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) models do not provide the closest possible targets (or peers) to inefficient units, and presents a procedure to obtain such targets. It focuses on non-oriented efficiency measures (which assume that production units are able to control, and thus change, inputs and outputs simultaneously) both measured in relation to a Free Disposal Hull (FDH) technology and in relation to a convex technology. The approaches developed for finding close targets are applied to a sample of Portuguese bank branches. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/microeconomics/journal/11123/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zieschang, Kimberly D., 1984. "An extended farrell technical efficiency measure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-396, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Yu, Gang & Wei, Quanling & Brockett, Patrick & Zhou, Li, 1996. "Construction of all DEA efficient surfaces of the production possibility set under the Generalized Data Envelopment Analysis Model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 491-510, December.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Tom VAN PUYENBROECK, 1999.
"Product Mixes as Objects of Choice in Nonparametric Efficiency Measurement,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
ces9901, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2001. "Product mixes as objects of choice in non-parametric efficiency measurement," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 287-295, July.
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Vanpuyenbroeck, 1999. "Product mixes as objects of choice in nonparametric efficiency measurement," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces9901, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Lukas Steinmann & Peter Zweifel, 2001. "The Range Adjusted Measure (RAM) in DEA: Comment," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 139-144, March.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Laurens Cherchye & Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post, 2001. "FDH Directional Distance Functions with an Application to European Commercial Banks," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 201-215, January.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B., 1993. "Bank efficiency derived from the profit function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 317-347, April.
- William Cooper & Kyung Park & Jesus Pastor, 2001. "The Range Adjusted Measure (RAM) in DEA: A Response to the Comment by Steinmann and Zweifel," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 145-152, March.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Colwell, R J & Davis, E P, 1992. " Output and Productivity in Banking," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages 111-129, Supplemen.
- Robert Chambers & Thomas Mitchell, 2001. "Homotheticity and Non-Radial Changes," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 31-39, January.
- O. B. Olesen & N. C. Petersen, 1996. "Indicators of Ill-Conditioned Data Sets and Model Misspecification in Data Envelopment Analysis: An Extended Facet Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(2), pages 205-219, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Ruggiero, John & Bretschneider, Stuart, 1998. "The weighted Russell measure of technical efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 438-451, July.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:19:y:2003:i:2:p:251-269. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.