Semi-radial technical efficiency measurement
Semi-radial efficiency measurement combines technical efficiency, as captured by the classical Farrell measure, with an economically meaningful mix efficiency component. The semi-radial evaluation we propose proceeds in two steps. First, we build on the price interpretation of the generally accepted Koopmans efficiency notion to characterize appropriate benchmarks. Next, we present both a quantity-based distance measure and its dual (price-based) equivalent to evaluate the mix efficiency factor. The type of measures we propose may, e.g., be used to provide a price rationale for the Zieschang technical efficiency evaluation procedure.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters,in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lovell, C A Knox, 1983. " The Structure of Technical Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 181-190.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2001.
"Product mixes as objects of choice in non-parametric efficiency measurement,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 287-295, July.
- Laurens Cherchye & Tom Vanpuyenbroeck, 1999. "Product mixes as objects of choice in nonparametric efficiency measurement," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces9901, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Tom VAN PUYENBROECK, 1999. "Product Mixes as Objects of Choice in Nonparametric Efficiency Measurement," Working Papers Department of Economics ces9901, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, April.
- Salnykov, Mykhaylo & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2005. "On the Commensurability of Directional Distance Functions," MPRA Paper 7068, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2005. "Profitability of a sample of Portuguese bank branches and its decomposition into technical and allocative components," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 850-866, May.
- J. v. Neumann, 1945. "A Model of General Economic Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 1-9.
- Zieschang, Kimberly D., 1984. "An extended farrell technical efficiency measure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-396, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:193:y:2009:i:2:p:616-625. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.