Axiomatic Foundations of Efficiency Measurement on Data-Generated Technologies
Dmitruk and Koshevoy [1991 JET] provided a complete characterization of the class of technologies for which there exists an efficiency index satisfying the Fare-Lovell [1978 JET] axioms. The technologies implicit in the standard mathematical-programming methods of measuring efficiency, data envelopment analysis (DEA) and free-disposal-hull (FDH) analysis, belong to this class. We assess the ability of three well-known indexes, the Debreu-Farrell index, the Fare-Lovell index, and the Zieschang index, to satisfy not only the Fare-Lovell axioms but also continuity axioms (for technologies as well as input quantities), on this restricted class of technologies. Our principal conclusions are that (a) restriction to these data-based technologies adds continuity in input quantities to the properties satisfied by the Fare-Lovell and the Zieschang indexes (thus eliminating a salient advantage of the Debreu-Farrell index), but (b) none of the indexes satisfies all Fare-Lovell axioms (nor all continuity axioms) on either DEA or FDH technologies, and hence (c) trade-offs among the indexes remain. These findings provide motivation for the search for an index that does satisfy these axioms on DEA and FDH technologies.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052|
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Daniel J. Henderson & R. Robert Russell, 2005. "Human Capital And Convergence: A Production-Frontier Approach ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1167-1205, November.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-571 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pollitt, Michael G, 1996.
"Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 342-360, April.
- Pollitt, M.G., 1995. "Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9518, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- R. Robert Russell & William Schworm, 2009. "Axiomatic Foundations of Inefficiency Measurement on Space," Discussion Papers 2009-07, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Zieschang, Kimberly D., 1984. "An extended farrell technical efficiency measure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-396, August.
- Robert Russell, R., 1990. "Continuity of measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 255-267, August.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, October.
- Dmitruk, Andrei V. & Koshevoy, Gleb A., 1991. "On the existence of a technical efficiency criterion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 121-144, October.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:swe:wpaper:2007-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.