Axiomatic foundations of efficiency measurement on data-generated technologies
Dmitruk and Koshevoy [1991 JET] provided a complete characterization of the class of technologies for which there exists an efficiency index satisfying the Fare-Lovell [1978 JET] axioms. The technologies implicit in the standard mathematical-programming methods of measuring efficiency, data envelopment analysis (DEA) and free-disposal-hull (FDH) analysis, belong to this class. We assess the ability of three well-known indexes, the Debreu-Farrell index, the Fare-Lovell index, and the Zieschang index, to satisfy not only the Fare-Lovell axioms but also continuity axioms (for technologies as well as input quantities), on this restricted class of technologies. Our principal conclusions are that (a) restriction to these data-based technologies adds continuity in input quantities to the properties satisfied by the Fare-Lovell and the Zieschang indexes (thus eliminating a salient advantage of the Debreu-Farrell index), but (b) none of the indexes satisfies all Fare-Lovell axioms (nor all continuity axioms) on either DEA or FDH technologies, and hence (c) trade-offs among the indexes remain. These findings provide motivation for the search for an index that does satisfy these axioms on DEA and FDH technologies.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollitt, M.G., 1995.
"Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9518, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pollitt, Michael G, 1996. "Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 342-60, April.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- R. Robert Russell & William Schworm, 2009. "Axiomatic Foundations of Inefficiency Measurement on Space," Discussion Papers 2009-07, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Zieschang, Kimberly D., 1984. "An extended farrell technical efficiency measure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 387-396, August.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dmitruk, Andrei V. & Koshevoy, Gleb A., 1991. "On the existence of a technical efficiency criterion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 121-144, October.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-571 is not listed on IDEAS
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Robert Russell, R., 1990. "Continuity of measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 255-267, August.
- Daniel J. Henderson & R. Robert Russell, 2005. "Human Capital And Convergence: A Production-Frontier Approach ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1167-1205, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:31:y:2009:i:2:p:77-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.