The role of speculation in international futures markets on commodity prices
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Robert F. Engle & Jose Gonzalo Rangel, 2008. "The Spline-GARCH Model for Low-Frequency Volatility and Its Global Macroeconomic Causes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(3), pages 1187-1222, May.
- Büyükşahin, Bahattin & Robe, Michel A., 2014. "Speculators, commodities and cross-market linkages," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 38-70.
- A. Anzuini & M. J. Lombardi & P. Pagano, 2013.
"The Impact of Monetary Policy Shocks on Commodity Prices,"
International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(3), pages 125-150, September.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Pagano, Patrizio & Anzuini, Alessio, 2010. "The impact of monetary policy shocks on commodity prices," Working Paper Series 1232, European Central Bank.
- Alessio Anzuini & Marco J. Lombardi & Patrizio Pagano, 2012. "The impact of monetary policy shocks on commodity prices," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 851, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Christopher L. Gilbert, 2010. "How to Understand High Food Prices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 398-425, June.
- Aboura, Sofiane & Chevallier, Julien, 2015.
"Volatility returns with vengeance: Financial markets vs. commodities,"
Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 334-354.
- Sofiane Aboura & Julien Chevallier, 2015. "Volatility returns with vengeance: Financial markets vs. commodities," Post-Print hal-01529747, HAL.
- Creti, Anna & Joëts, Marc & Mignon, Valérie, 2013.
"On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 16-28.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-42, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2013. "On the links between stock and commodity markets’ volatility," Post-Print hal-01385868, HAL.
- Anna Creti & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility," Working Papers 2012-20, CEPII research center.
- Christopher Gilbert & Wyn Morgan, 2010. "Has food price volatility risen?," Department of Economics Working Papers 1002, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Dwight R. Sanders & Scott H. Irwin, 2010.
"A speculative bubble in commodity futures prices? Cross‐sectional evidence,"
Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(1), pages 25-32, January.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Irwin, Scott H. & Merrin, Robert P., 2009. "A Speculative Bubble in Commodity Futures Prices? Cross-Sectional Evidence," 2009 Conference, April 20-21, 2009, St. Louis, Missouri 53050, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Cartwright, Phillip A. & Riabko, Natalija, 2015. "Measuring the effect of oil prices on wheat futures prices," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 355-369.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/14980 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schalck, Christophe & Chenavaz, Régis, 2015.
"Oil commodity returns and macroeconomic factors: A time-varying approach,"
Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 290-303.
- Christophe Schalck & Régis Chenavaz, 2015. "Oil commodity returns and macroeconomic factors: A time-varying approach," Post-Print hal-01457334, HAL.
- Hayo, Bernd & Kutan, Ali M. & Neuenkirch, Matthias, 2012.
"Communication matters: US monetary policy and commodity price volatility,"
Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 247-249.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan & Matthias Neuenkirch, 2011. "Communication Matters: U.S. Monetary Policy and Commodity Price Volatility," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201105, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- CARPANTIER, Jean-François & DUFAYS, Arnaud, 2012. "Commodities volatility and the theory of storage," LIDAM Discussion Papers CORE 2012037, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Norman V. Loayza & Romain Rancière & Luis Servén & Jaume Ventura, 2007.
"Macroeconomic Volatility and Welfare in Developing Countries: An Introduction,"
World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(3), pages 343-357, October.
- Norman V. Loayza & Romain Rancière & Luis Servén & Jaume Ventura, 2007. "Macroeconomic Volatility and Welfare in Developing Countries: an Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00754201, HAL.
- Berna Karali & Gabriel J. Power, 2013.
"Short- and Long-Run Determinants of Commodity Price Volatility,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(3), pages 724-738.
- Karali, Berna & Power, Gabriel J., 2009. "What Explains High Commodity Price Volatility? Estimating a Unified Model of Common and Commodity-Specific, High- and Low-Frequency Factors," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49576, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Brunetti, Celso & Reiffen, David, 2014. "Commodity index trading and hedging costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 153-180.
- Dietrich Domanski & Alexandra Heath, 2007. "Financial investors and commodity markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Demirer, Rıza & Lee, Hsiang-Tai & Lien, Donald, 2015. "Does the stock market drive herd behavior in commodity futures markets?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 32-44.
- Nicole M. Aulerich & Scott H. Irwin & Philip Garcia, 2014.
"Bubbles, Food Prices, and Speculation: Evidence from the CFTC's Daily Large Trader Data Files,"
NBER Chapters, in: The Economics of Food Price Volatility, pages 211-253,
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicole M. Aulerich & Scott H. Irwin & Philip Garcia, 2013. "Bubbles, Food Prices, and Speculation: Evidence from the CFTC's Daily Large Trader Data Files," NBER Working Papers 19065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Stephan, Patrick M., 2013. "Does Futures Speculation Destabilize Spot Prices? New Evidence for Commodity Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1-21, November.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Stephan, Patrick M., 2013. "Does Futures Speculation Destabilize Spot Prices? New Evidence for Commodity Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(4), pages 595-616, November.
- Shaun K. Roache, 2010. "What Explains the Rise in Food Price Volatility?," IMF Working Papers 10/129, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/13359 is not listed on IDEAS
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shank, Corey A. & Vianna, Andre C., 2016. "Are US-Dollar-Hedged-ETF investors aggressive on exchange rates? A panel VAR approach," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 430-438.
- Juan Ignacio Guzmán & Enrique Silva, 2018. "Copper price determination: fundamentals versus non-fundamentals," Mineral Economics, Springer;Raw Materials Group (RMG);Luleå University of Technology, vol. 31(3), pages 283-300, October.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2016. "Stock markets’ bubbles burst and volatility spillovers in agricultural commodity markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 277-285.
- Zhu, Xuehong & Zhang, Hongwei & Zhong, Meirui, 2017. "Volatility forecasting using high frequency data: The role of after-hours information and leverage effects," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 58-70.
- Karyotis, Catherine & Alijani, Sharam, 2016. "Soft commodities and the global financial crisis: Implications for the economy, resources and institutions," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 350-359.
- Mohanty, Sunil K. & Mishra, Sibanjan, 2020. "Regulatory reform and market efficiency: The case of Indian agricultural commodity futures markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(C).
- Elie Bouri & Imad Kachacha & Donald Lien & David Roubaud, 2017. "Short- and long-run causality across the implied volatility of crude oil and agricultural commodities," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 37(2).
- Zhou, Liyun & Zhang, Rixin & Huang, Jialiang, 2019. "Investor trading behavior on agricultural future prices," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 365-379.
More about this item
KeywordsAgricultural commodities; Futures markets; Financialization; Asset returns;
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:37:y:2016:i:c:p:49-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.