On the links between stock and commodity markets' volatility
This paper investigates the links between price returns for 25 commodities and stocks over the period from January 2001 to November 2011, by paying a particular attention to energy raw materials. Relying on the dynamic conditional correlation (DCC) GARCH methodology, we show that the correlations between commodity and stock markets evolve through time and are highly volatile, particularly since the 2007-2008 financial crisis. The latter has played a key role, emphasizing the links between commodity and stock markets, and underlining the financialization of commodity markets. At the idiosyncratic level, a speculation phenomenon is highlighted for oil, coffee and cocoa, while the safe-haven role of gold is evidenced.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ke Tang & Wei Xiong, 2010. "Index Investment and Financialization of Commodities," NBER Working Papers 16385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Choi, Kyongwook & Hammoudeh, Shawkat, 2010. "Volatility behavior of oil, industrial commodity and stock markets in a regime-switching environment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 4388-4399, August.
- Du, Xiaodong & Yu, Cindy L. & Hayes, Dermot J., 2009.
"Speculation and Volatility Spillover in the Crude Oil and Agricultural Commodity Markets: A Bayesian Analysis,"
2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
49276, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Du, Xiaodong & Yu, Cindy L. & Hayes, Dermot J., 2011. "Speculation and volatility spillover in the crude oil and agricultural commodity markets: A Bayesian analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 497-503, May.
- Xiaodong Du & Cindy L. Yu & Dermot J. Hayes, 2009. "Speculation and Volatility Spillover in the Crude Oil and Agricultural Commodity Markets: A Bayesian Analysis," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 09-wp491, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Xiaodong Du & Cindy L. Yu & Dermot J. Hayes, 2009. "Speculation and Volatility Spillover in the Crude Oil and Agricultural Commodity Markets: A Bayesian Analysis," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 09-wp491, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Dramane Coulibaly, 2012.
"Index Trading and Agricultural Commodity Prices: A Panel Granger Causality Analysis,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Dramane Coulibaly, 2011. "Index Trading and Agricultural Commodity Prices: A Panel Granger Causality Analysis," Working Papers 2011-28, CEPII research center.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Bahattin Buyuksahin & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2011. "Do Speculators Drive Crude Oil Futures Prices?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 167-202.
- Jones, Charles M & Kaul, Gautam, 1996. " Oil and the Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 463-91, June.
- Mohsin S. Khan, 2009. "The 2008 Oil Price "Bubble"," Policy Briefs PB09-19, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2011-q2-3-126-127-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baur, Dirk G. & McDermott, Thomas K., 2010.
"Is gold a safe haven? International evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1886-1898, August.
- Dirk G. Baur & Thomas K. McDermott, . "Is gold a safe haven? International evidence," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp310, IIIS.
- Matteo Manera & Marcella Nicolini & Ilaria Vignati, 2012.
"Returns in commodities futures markets and financial speculation: a multivariate GARCH approach,"
Quaderni di Dipartimento
170, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Matteo Manera & Marcella Nicolini & Ilaria Vignati, 2012. "Returns in Commodities Futures Markets and Financial Speculation: A Multivariate GARCH Approach," Working Papers 2012.23, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Annastiina Silvennoinen & Susan Thorp, 2010.
"Financialization, Crisis and Commodity Correlation Dynamics,"
Research Paper Series
267, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Thorp, Susan, 2013. "Financialization, crisis and commodity correlation dynamics," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 42-65.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 1999. "Oil price shocks and stock market activity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 449-469, October.
- Dirk G. Baur & Brian M. Lucey, 2010.
"Is Gold a Hedge or a Safe Haven? An Analysis of Stocks, Bonds and Gold,"
The Financial Review,
Eastern Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 217-229, 05.
- Dirk G. Baur & Brian M. Lucey, 2007. "Is Gold a Hedge or a Safe Haven? An Analysis of Stocks, Bonds and Gold," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp198, IIIS.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2011-q2-3-126-127 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gian Piero Aielli, 2011. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: On properties and estimation," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0142, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Vivian, Andrew & Wohar, Mark E., 2012. "Commodity volatility breaks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 395-422.
- Papapetrou, Evangelia, 2001. "Oil price shocks, stock market, economic activity and employment in Greece," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 511-532, September.
- Malik, Farooq & Ewing, Bradley T., 2009. "Volatility transmission between oil prices and equity sector returns," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 95-100, June.
- Chiou, Jer-Shiou & Lee, Yen-Hsien, 2009. "Jump dynamics and volatility: Oil and the stock markets," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 788-796.
- Christopher Gilbert & Wyn Morgan, 2010. "Has food price volatility risen?," Department of Economics Working Papers 1002, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Dibooglu, Sel & Aleisa, Eisa, 2004. "Relationships among U.S. oil prices and oil industry equity indices," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 427-453.
- Alexandra Dwyer & George Gardner & Thomas Williams, 2011. "Global Commodity Markets - Price Volatility and Financialisation," RBA Bulletin, Reserve Bank of Australia, pages 49-58, June.
- Irwin, Scott H. & Sanders, Dwight R., 2012. "Testing the Masters Hypothesis in commodity futures markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 256-269.
- Stout Lynn A., 2011. "Risk, Speculation, and OTC Derivatives: An Inaugural Essay for Convivium," Accounting, Economics, and Law, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Park, Jungwook & Ratti, Ronald A., 2008. "Oil price shocks and stock markets in the U.S. and 13 European countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2587-2608, September.
- Filis, George & Degiannakis, Stavros & Floros, Christos, 2011. "Dynamic correlation between stock market and oil prices: The case of oil-importing and oil-exporting countries," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 152-164, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2012-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.