The impact of E. Coli O157:H7 recalls on live cattle futures prices: Revisited
Meat recalls have the potential to adversely affect the demand for meat due to the associated decline in consumers and investors’ confidence. The objective of this study is to investigate the impacts of Escherichia Coli O157:H7 recall announcements on the nearby cattle futures prices using data from the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food Safety Inspection Services (FSIS) and Chicago Mercantile Exchange Live Cattle futures. The results show that E. Coli O157:H7 recalls have adverse impacts on the nearby cattle futures prices, but the impacts are short-lived.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2000.
"Effects Of Meat Recalls On Futures Market Prices,"
2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois
18925, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Spencer Henson & Mario Mazzocchi, 2002. "Impact of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy on Agribusiness in the United Kingdom: Results of an Event Study of Equity Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 370-386.
- Michael R. Thomsen & Andrew M. McKenzie, 2001. "Market Incentives for Safe Foods: An Examination of Shareholder Losses from Meat and Poultry Recalls," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 526-538.
- Nicholas E. Piggott & Thomas L. Marsh, 2004. "Does Food Safety Information Impact U.S. Meat Demand?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 154-174.
- Tonsor, Glynn T. & Mintert, James R. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2010. "U.S. Meat Demand: Household Dynamics and Media Information Impacts," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Paiva, Newton N., 2003. "The Effects of Mad Cow Disease on U.S. Live Cattle Futures Price," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(02), August.
- Crowley, Christian S.L. & Shimazaki, Yoshiaki, 2005. "Measuring the Impact of a BSE Announcement on U.S. Retail Beef Sales: A Time-Series Analysis," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 23(1).
- McKenzie, Andrew M. & Thomsen, Michael R., 2001. "The Effect Of E. Coli O157:H7 On Beef Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:42:y:2013:i:c:p:81-87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.