Oil prices -- Brownian motion or mean reversion? A study using a one year ahead density forecast criterion
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Akgiray, Vedat & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1988. "The Stable-Law Model of Stock Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(1), pages 51-57, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-883, November.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1992.
"On the Behaviour of Commodity Prices,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, pages 1-23.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1990. "On The Behavior of Commodity Prices," NBER Working Papers 3439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Verhoeven, Peter & McAleer, Michael, 2004.
"Fat tails and asymmetry in financial volatility models,"
Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM),
Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 351-361.
- Peter Verhoeven & Michael McAleer, 2003. "Fat Tails and Asymmetry in Financial Volatility Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-211, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Ye, Michael & Zyren, John & Shore, Joanne, 2006. "Forecasting short-run crude oil price using high- and low-inventory variables," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 2736-2743, November.
- David Cabedo, J. & Moya, Ismael, 2003. "Estimating oil price 'Value at Risk' using the historical simulation approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, pages 239-253.
- Kon, Stanley J, 1984. " Models of Stock Returns-A Comparison," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 147-165, March.
- Melick, William R. & Thomas, Charles P., 1997. "Recovering an Asset's Implied PDF from Option Prices: An Application to Crude Oil during the Gulf Crisis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 91-115, March.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao & Zhao, Feng, 2007. "Can the random walk model be beaten in out-of-sample density forecasts? Evidence from intraday foreign exchange rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 736-776, December.
- Tucker, Alan L & Pond, Lallon, 1988. "The Probability Distribution of Foreign Exchange Price Changes: Tests of Candidate Processes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, pages 638-647.
- Panayiotis Theodossiou, 1998. "Financial Data and the Skewed Generalized T Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, pages 1650-1661.
- Egorov, Alexei V. & Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao, 2006. "Validating forecasts of the joint probability density of bond yields: Can affine models beat random walk?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 255-284.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-157, April.
- Dr. James Mitchell, 2005. "Evaluating, comparing and combining density forecasts using the KLIC with an application to the Bank of England and NIESR ÔfanÕ charts of inflation," National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) Discussion Papers 253, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Eduardo Schwartz & James E. Smith, 2000. "Short-Term Variations and Long-Term Dynamics in Commodity Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, pages 893-911.
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Lorenzo Naranjo, 2006. "An N‐factor Gaussian model of oil futures prices," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(3), pages 243-268, March.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Peter Ritchken & Zhiqiang Sun, 2006. "Approximating Garch-Jump Models, Jump-Diffusion Processes, And Option Pricing," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 21-52.
- Manmohan S. Kumar, 1992. "The Forecasting Accuracy of Crude Oil Futures Prices," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(2), pages 432-461, June.
- McDonald, James B. & Newey, Whitney K., 1988. "Partially Adaptive Estimation of Regression Models via the Generalized T Distribution," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 428-457, December.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg, 1999. "Generalized Hyperbolic Diffusion Processes with Applications in Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 183-201.
- Paul Stevens, 2005. "Oil Markets," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 19-42, Spring.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2004. "Volatility and commodity price dynamics," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(11), pages 1029-1047, November.
- Yongmiao Hong, 2005. "Nonparametric Specification Testing for Continuous-Time Models with Applications to Term Structure of Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, pages 37-84.
- Bauwens, Luc & Giot, Pierre & Grammig, Joachim & Veredas, David, 2004.
"A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 589-609.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2000. "A Comparison of Financial Duration Models via Density Forecasts," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0810, Econometric Society.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecast," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136218, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1746, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS , Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, 2000. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers 2000060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- James Mitchell & Stephen G. Hall, 2005. "Evaluating, Comparing and Combining Density Forecasts Using the KLIC with an Application to the Bank of England and NIESR 'Fan' Charts of Inflation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(s1), pages 995-1033, December.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2006.
"Predictive density and conditional confidence interval accuracy tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 187-228.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2004. "Predective Density and Conditional Confidence Interval Accuracy Tests," Departmental Working Papers 200423, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Roman Liesenfeld & Robert C. Jung, 2000.
"Stochastic volatility models: conditional normality versus heavy-tailed distributions,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., pages 137-160.
- Liesenfeld, Roman & Jung, Robert C., 1997. "Stochastic volatility models: Conditional normality versus heavy tailed distributions," Tübinger Diskussionsbeiträge 103, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Subu Venkataraman, 1997. "Value at risk for a mixture of normal distributions: the use of quasi- Bayesian estimation techniques," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Mar, pages 2-13.
- Ignacio Mauleon & Javier Perote, 2000.
"Testing densities with financial data: an empirical comparison of the Edgeworth-Sargan density to the Student's t,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, pages 225-239.
- Bertrand Maillet & Thierry Michel, 2000. "Further Insights on the Puzzle of Technical Analysis Profitability," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00308986, HAL.
- Blattberg, Robert C & Gonedes, Nicholas J, 1974. "A Comparison of the Stable and Student Distributions as Statistical Models for Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 244-280, April.
- Cortazar, Gonzalo & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1998. "Monte Carlo evaluation model of an undeveloped oil field," Journal of Energy Finance & Development, Elsevier, pages 73-84.
- Rapach, David E. & Wohar, Mark E., 2006. "The out-of-sample forecasting performance of nonlinear models of real exchange rate behavior," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 341-361.
- Clements, Michael P & Hendry, David F, 1996. "Intercept Corrections and Structural Change," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 475-494, Sept.-Oct.
- Panas, Epaminondas & Ninni, Vassilia, 2000. "Are oil markets chaotic? A non-linear dynamic analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, pages 549-568.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xu, Weijun & Sun, Qi & Xiao, Weilin, 2012. "A new energy model to capture the behavior of energy price processes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1585-1591.
- Julio Alonso Cifuentes & Andrés Arcila Vásquez, 2012. "Un modelo de predicciones diarias para contratos de futuros de azúcar," REVISTA ECONOMÍA & REGIÓN, UNIVERSIDAD TECNOLÓGICA DE BOLÍVAR, vol. 6(2), pages 33-51, December.
- repec:eee:pacfin:v:45:y:2017:i:c:p:186-210 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jin, Xiaoye & Xiaowen Lin, Sharon & Tamvakis, Michael, 2012. "Volatility transmission and volatility impulse response functions in crude oil markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, pages 2125-2134.
- Kovacevic, Raimund M. & Paraschiv, Florentina, 2012. "Medium-term Planning for Thermal Electricity Production," Working Papers on Finance 1220, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Chen, Ruoran & Deng, Tianhu & Huang, Simin & Qin, Ruwen, 2015. "Optimal crude oil procurement under fluctuating price in an oil refinery," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 245(2), pages 438-445.
- Meade, Nigel & Islam, Towhidul, 2015. "Modelling European usage of renewable energy technologies for electricity generation," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, pages 497-509.
- Work, J. & Qiu, F. & Luckert, M.K., 2016. "Examining hardwood pulp and ethanol prices for improved poplar plantations in Canada," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 9-15.
- Adcock, C J & Meade, N, 2017. "Using parametric classification trees for model selection with applications to financial risk management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 259(2), pages 746-765.
- repec:spr:cejnor:v:26:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1007_s10100-017-0475-x is not listed on IDEAS
- Karl Inderfurth & Peter Kelle & Rainer Kleber, 2014. "The Effect of Material Price and Product Demand Correlations on Combined Sourcing and Inventory Management," FEMM Working Papers 140013, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Calili, Rodrigo F. & Souza, Reinaldo C. & Galli, Alain & Armstrong, Margaret & Marcato, André Luis M., 2014. "Estimating the cost savings and avoided CO2 emissions in Brazil by implementing energy efficient policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 4-15.
- Daniel Ziegler & Katrin Schmitz & Christoph Weber, 2012. "Optimal electricity generation portfolios," Computational Management Science, Springer, pages 381-399.
- Sun, Qi & Xu, Weijun & Xiao, Weilin, 2013. "An empirical estimation for mean-reverting coal prices with long memory," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 174-181.
- Hahn, Warren J. & DiLellio, James A. & Dyer, James S., 2014. "What do market-calibrated stochastic processes indicate about the long-term price of crude oil?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, pages 212-221.
More about this item
KeywordsTime series Density forecasting Commodity prices;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:32:y:2010:i:6:p:1485-1498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.