A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts
Using density forecasts, we compare the predictive performance of duration models that have been developed for modelling intra-day data on stock markets. The compared models are the autoregressive conditional duration (ACD) models, their logarithmic versions, in each case with three distributions (Burr, Weibull, and exponential), and the stochastic volatility duration (SVD) model. A pilot Monte Carlo study is conducted to illustrate the relevance of the approach. The evaluation is done on transaction, price, and volume durations of 4 stocks listed at the NYSE. The results lead us to conclude that ACD and Log-ACD models often capture the dependence in the data in a satisfactory way, that they fit correctly the distribution of volume durations, that they fail to do so for trade durations, while the evidence is mixed for price durations.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Gourieroux & Joann Jasiak, 2001.
"Dynamic Factor Models,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 385-424.
- BAUWENS, Luc & VEREDAS, David, 1999.
"The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent factor model for the analysis of financial durations,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1999058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & David Veredas, 2004. "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent factor model for the analysis of financial durations," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136234, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 361-393.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9908 is not listed on IDEAS
- Song Chen, 2000. "Probability Density Function Estimation Using Gamma Kernels," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 52(3), pages 471-480, September.
- Rombouts, Jeroen V. K. & Bauwens, Luc, 2004.
2004,33, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Feike C. Drost & Bas J. M. Werker, 2000. "Efficient Estimation in Semiparametric Time Series: the ACD Model," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0836, Econometric Society.
- Francis X. Diebold & Todd A. Gunther & Anthony S. Tay, 1997.
"Evaluating Density Forecasts,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0215, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis X. Diebold & Todd A. Gunther & Anthony S. Tay, 1997. "Evaluating Density Forecasts," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-37, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Francis X. Diebold & Todd A. Gunther & Anthony S. Tay, 1997. "Evaluating density forecasts," Working Papers 97-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Francis X. Diebold & Todd A. Gunther & Anthony S. Tay, . "Evaluating Density Forecasts," CARESS Working Papres 97-18, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Olivier Renault & Jean-Luc Prigent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000.
"An Autoregressive Conditional Binomial Option Pricing Model,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp364, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean -Luc Prigent & Olivier Renault & Olivier Scaillet, 1999. "An Autoregressive Conditional Binomial Option Pricing Model," Working Papers 99-65, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995.
CORE Discussion Papers
1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 2000. "Market microstructure: A survey," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-258, August.
- Granger, C.W.J. & Pesaran, H., 1996. "A Decision_Theoretic Approach to Forecast Evaluation," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9618, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2005.
"Nonparametric specification tests for conditional duration models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 35-68, July.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2003. "Nonparametric specification tests for conditional duration models," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 502, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Fernandes, M. & Grammig, J., 2000. "Non-Parametric Specification Tests for Conditional Duration Models," Economics Working Papers eco2000/4, European University Institute.
- Marcelo Fernandes & Joachim Grammig, 2000. "Non-Parametric Specification Tests For Conditional Duration Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 40, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ghysels, Eric & Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joann, 2004.
"Stochastic volatility duration models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 413-433, April.
- David Veredas & Juan Rodriguez-Poo & Antoni Espasa, 2001.
"On the (Intradaily) Seasonality and Dynamics of a Financial Point Process : A Semiparametric Approach,"
2001-19, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Espasa, Antoni & Rodríguez Poo, Juan M. & Veredas, David, 2001. "On the (intradaily) seasonality and dynamics of a financial point process: a semiparametric approach," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws013321, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- VEREDAS, David & RODRIGUEZ-POO, Juan & ESPASA, Antoni, 2002. "On the (intradaily) seasonality and dynamics of a financial point process: a semiparametric approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2002023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Testing Density Forecasts, with Applications to Risk Management," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 465-74, October.
- Engle, Robert F. & Russell, Jeffrey R., 1997. "Forecasting the frequency of changes in quoted foreign exchange prices with the autoregressive conditional duration model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 187-212, June.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9633 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5478 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhang, Michael Yuanjie & Russell, Jeffrey R. & Tsay, Ruey S., 2001. "A nonlinear autoregressive conditional duration model with applications to financial transaction data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 179-207, August.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Christian Gourieroux, 1999.
"Intra-day market activity,"
- Easley, David, et al, 1996. " Liquidity, Information, and Infrequently Traded Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1405-36, September.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- GIOT, Pierre, 1999. "Time transformations, intraday data and volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 1999044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Goodhart, Charles A. E. & O'Hara, Maureen, 1997. "High frequency data in financial markets: Issues and applications," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 73-114, June.
- J. Grammig & K. Maurer, 1999. "Non-Monotonic Hazard Functions and the Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,50, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:20:y:2004:i:4:p:589-609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.