The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent factor model for the analysis of financial durations
A new model for the analysis of durations, the stochastic conditional duration (SCD) model, is introduced. This model is based of the assumption that the durations are generated by a latent stochastic factor that follows a first order autoregressive process. The latent factor is pertubed multiplicatively by an innovation distributed as aWeibull or gamma variable. The model can capture a wide range of shapes of hazard functions. The estimation of the parameters is performed by quasi-maximum likelihood, after transforming the original nonlinear model into a space state representation and using the Kalman filter. The model is applied to stock market price-durations, looking at the relation between price durations, volume, spread and trading intensity.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Grammig & K. Maurer, 1999. "Non-Monotonic Hazard Functions and the Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,50, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003.
"Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, "undated". "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1670, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Russell, Jeffrey & Engle, Robert F, 1998.
"Econometric Analysis of Discrete-Valued Irregularly-Spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt00m2c5hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Jeffrey R. Russell & Robert F. Engle, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of Discrete-valued Irregularly-spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model," CRSP working papers 470, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 2002.
"Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Christian Gourieroux, 1999.
"Intra-day market activity,"
- repec:bla:restud:v:65:y:1998:i:3:p:361-93 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghysels, Eric & Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joann, 2004.
"Stochastic volatility duration models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 413-433, April.
- Joann Jasiak, 1996. "Persistence in Intertrade Durations," Working Papers 1999_8, York University, Department of Economics, revised Mar 1999.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-155, January.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Ghysels Eric & Jasiak Joanna, 1998. "GARCH for Irregularly Spaced Financial Data: The ACD-GARCH Model," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-19, January.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9633 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 1-22, January.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 1999. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,21, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Ruiz, Esther, 1994. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 289-306, July.
- Eric Ghysels & Joanna Jasiak, 1997. "GARCH for Irregularly Spaced Data: The ACD-GARCH Model," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-06, CIRANO.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:1999058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.