Persistence in Intertrade Durations
This paper examines long-term dependence in times between trades on financial markets. The autocorrelation functions of several intertrade duration series show a slow, hyperbolic rate of decay typical for long memory processes. For example, a shock to times between trades of the Alcatel stock on the Paris Stock Exchange (SBF Paris Bourse) may persist in the transactions time for a long period of 1000 or 2000 ticks. With an average duration of 52 seconds between transactions this may amount to sixteen or thirty two hours in calendar time. This paper introduces a fractionally integrated autoregressive conditional duration (FIACD) model for intertrade duration series. It also examines transformed duration processes representing times between consecutive returns to states of null, positive or negative returns. This approach captures the relationship between the duration persistence and return dynamics. The times elapsed between returns to various states feature very similar autocorrelation patterns and do not possess the long memory property. The persistence in durations is also determined by the times spent within specific states of returns. The average visiting time is state dependent, features intraday variation and may be considered as an instantaneous measure of state persistence. The long memory patterns are examined in data on the Alcatel and IBM stocks traded on the SBF Paris Bourse and NYSE.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1996|
|Date of revision:||Mar 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3|
Phone: (416) 736-5083
Fax: (416) 736-5987
Web page: http://dept.econ.yorku.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984.
"Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 681-700, May.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna, 1999.
"Nonlinear innovations and impulse responses,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Crato, Nuno & Rothman, Philip, 1994. "Fractional integration analysis of long-run behavior for US macroeconomic time series," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 287-291.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Serge Darolles & Christian Gouriéroux & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2000.
"Intraday Transaction Price Dynamics,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 60, pages 207-238.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna & Le Fol, Gaelle, 1999.
"Intra-day market activity,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 193-226, August.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
- Baillie, R.T. & Bollerslev, T., 1989. "Intra Day And Inter Market Volatility In Foreign Exchange Rates," Papers 8811, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lee, Sang-Won & Hansen, Bruce E., 1994. "Asymptotic Theory for the Garch(1,1) Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 29-52, March.
- Baillie, Richard T., 1996. "Long memory processes and fractional integration in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 5-59, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi & Lin, Wen-Ling, 1990.
"Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 525-42, May.
- Robert F. Engle & Takatoshi Ito & Wen-Ling Lin, 1988. "Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-Daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," NBER Working Papers 2609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yca:wpaper:1999_8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Support)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.