The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent factor model for the analysis of financial durations
A new model for the analysis of durations, the stochastic conditional duration (SCD) model, is introduced. This model is based of the assumption that the durations are generated by a latent stochastic factor that follows a first order autoregressive process. The latent factor is pertubed multiplicatively by an innovation distributed as aWeibull or gamma variable. The model can capture a wide range of shapes of hazard functions. The estimation of the parameters is performed by quasi-maximum likelihood, after transforming the original nonlinear model into a space state representation and using the Kalman filter. The model is applied to stock market price-durations, looking at the relation between price durations, volume, spread and trading intensity.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in: Journal of econometrics (2004) v.119 n° 2,p.381-412|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Ghysels Eric & Jasiak Joanna, 1998. "GARCH for Irregularly Spaced Financial Data: The ACD-GARCH Model," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-19, January.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003.
"Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, . "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1670, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- Eric Ghysels & Joanna Jasiak, 1997. "GARCH for Irregularly Spaced Data: The ACD-GARCH Model," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-06, CIRANO.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Eric Ghysels & Christian Gourieroux & Joanna Jasiak, 1997.
"Stochastic Volatility Duration Models,"
97-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 2002.
"Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna & Le Fol, Gaëlle, 1999.
"Intra-day market activity,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5478, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ruiz, Esther, 1994. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 289-306, July.
- J. Grammig & K. Maurer, 1999. "Non-Monotonic Hazard Functions and the Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,50, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joann Jasiak, 1996. "Persistence in Intertrade Durations," Working Papers 1999_8, York University, Department of Economics, revised Mar 1999.
- repec:fth:inseep:9633 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luc BAUWENS & Pierre GIOT, 2000.
"The Logarithmic ACD Model: An Application to the Bid-Ask Quote Process of Three NYSE Stocks,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 60, pages 117-149.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, . "The logarithmic ACD model: an application to the bid-ask quote process of three NYSE stocks," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1497, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 1999. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,21, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Jeffrey R. Russell & Robert F. Engle, 1998.
"Econometric Analysis of Discrete-valued Irregularly-spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model,"
CRSP working papers
470, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Russell, Jeffrey & Engle, Robert F, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of Discrete-Valued Irregularly-Spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt00m2c5hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulb:ulbeco:2013/136234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.