The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent factor model for the analysis of financial durations
A new model for the analysis of durations, the stochastic conditional duration (SCD) model, is introduced. This model is based of the assumption that the durations are generated by a latent stochastic factor that follows a first order autoregressive process. The latent factor is pertubed multiplicatively by an innovation distributed as aWeibull or gamma variable. The model can capture a wide range of shapes of hazard functions. The estimation of the parameters is performed by quasi-maximum likelihood, after transforming the original nonlinear model into a space state representation and using the Kalman filter. The model is applied to stock market price-durations, looking at the relation between price durations, volume, spread and trading intensity.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Publication status:||Published in: Journal of econometrics (2004) v.119 n° 2,p.381-412|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP135, 50, avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Grammig & K. Maurer, 1999. "Non-Monotonic Hazard Functions and the Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,50, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot, 2003.
"Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models,"
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 709-731, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, "undated". "Asymmetric ACD models: Introducing price information in ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1670, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 2002. "Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-87, January.
- Jacquier, Eric & Polson, Nicholas G & Rossi, Peter E, 1994. "Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 371-389, October.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna & Le Fol, Gaelle, 1999. "Intra-day market activity," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 193-226, August.
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Christian Gourieroux, 1999. "Intra-day market activity," Post-Print halshs-00536268, HAL.
- Ghysels, Eric & Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joann, 2004. "Stochastic volatility duration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 413-433, April.
- Eric Ghysels & Christian Gourieroux & Joanna Jasiak, 1997. "Stochastic Volatility Duration Models," Working Papers 97-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Ghysels Eric & Jasiak Joanna, 1998. "GARCH for Irregularly Spaced Financial Data: The ACD-GARCH Model," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-19, January.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9633 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert F. Engle, 2000. "The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996. "The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data," NBER Working Papers 5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russell, Jeffrey & Engle, Robert F, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of Discrete-Valued Irregularly-Spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt00m2c5hk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Jeffrey R. Russell & Robert F. Engle, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of Discrete-valued Irregularly-spaced Financial Transactions Data Using a New Autoregressive Conditional Multinomial Model," CRSP working papers 470, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
- Ruiz, Esther, 1994. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of stochastic volatility models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 289-306, July.
- repec:bla:restud:v:65:y:1998:i:3:p:361-93 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joann Jasiak, 1996. "Persistence in Intertrade Durations," Working Papers 1999_8, York University, Department of Economics, revised Mar 1999.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-155, January.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 1999. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,21, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Eric Ghysels & Joanna Jasiak, 1997. "GARCH for Irregularly Spaced Data: The ACD-GARCH Model," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-06, CIRANO. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulb:ulbeco:2013/136234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.