Time-Varying Mixing Weights in Mixture Autoregressive Conditional Duration Models
Financial market price formation and exchange activity can be investigated by means of ultra-high frequency data. In this article, we investigate an extension of the Autoregressive Conditional Duration (ACD) model of Engle and Russell (1998) by adopting a mixture of distribution approach with time-varying weights. Empirical estimation of the Mixture ACD model shows that the limitations of the standard base model and its inadequacy of modelling the behavior in the tail of the distribution are suitably solved by our model. When the weights are made dependent on some market activity data, the model lends itself to some structural interpretation related to price formation and information diffusion in the market.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1-3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/LECR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ken Nyholm, 2003. "Inferring the private information content of trades: a regime-switching approach The views presented in the paper are not necessarily shared by the European Central Bank," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 457-470.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Winkler, Robert L, 1976. "Optimal Speculation against an Efficient Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(1), pages 49-61, March.
- Robert F. Engle & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2003.
"A Multiple Indicators Model for Volatility Using Intra-Daily Data,"
NBER Working Papers
10117, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Gallo, Giampiero M., 2006. "A multiple indicators model for volatility using intra-daily data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 3-27.
- Robert F. Engle & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2003. "A Multiple Indicators Model For Volatility Using Intra-Daily Data," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2003_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Eric Ghysels & Christian Gourieroux & Joanna Jasiak, 1997.
"Stochastic Volatility Duration Models,"
97-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero Gallo, 2006.
"Financial Econometric Analysis at Ultra–High Frequency: Data Handling Concerns,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2006_03, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Brownlees, C.T. & Gallo, G.M., 2006. "Financial econometric analysis at ultra-high frequency: Data handling concerns," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2232-2245, December.
- Zhang, Michael Yuanjie & Russell, Jeffrey R. & Tsay, Ruey S., 2001. "A nonlinear autoregressive conditional duration model with applications to financial transaction data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 179-207, August.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Luc BAUWENS & Pierre GIOT, 2000.
"The Logarithmic ACD Model: An Application to the Bid-Ask Quote Process of Three NYSE Stocks,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 60, pages 117-149.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre, . "The logarithmic ACD model: an application to the bid-ask quote process of three NYSE stocks," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1497, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
- Giovanni De Luca & Paola Zuccolotto, 2003. "Finite and infinite mixtures for financial durations," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 431-455.
- Ken Nyholm, 2002. "Estimating the Probability of Informed Trading," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 485-505.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996.
Cahiers de recherche
9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CORE Discussion Papers 1995069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," Papers 95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Éric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- BAUWENS, Luc & VEREDAS, David, 1999.
"The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent factor model for the analysis of financial durations,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1999058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & David Veredas, 2004. "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent factor model for the analysis of financial durations," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136234, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- De Luca Giovanni & Gallo Giampiero M., 2004. "Mixture Processes for Financial Intradaily Durations," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-20, May.
- Ghysels, Eric, 2000. "Some Econometric Recipes for High-Frequency Data Cooking," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(2), pages 154-63, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:emetrv:v:28:y:2009:i:1-3:p:102-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.