The asymmetry of inflation adjustment in Turkey
We investigated the dynamic behavior of the overall inflation rate, its subgroups, and inflation rates of traded and non-traded goods in Turkey between 1994:M1 and 2012:M5 by using a quantile autoregression approach developed by Koenker and Xiao (2004). This method makes no assumptions about the distribution of inflation rates and allowed us to analyze possible asymmetry in mean reversion toward the equilibrium for inflation rates. Our results revealed an asymmetric speed in the inflation adjustment process across different quantiles before and after an inflation targeting (IT) regime (implicit and explicit); persistence relatively decreased after adoption of implicit IT in 2002 or explicit IT and inflation rates became much more mean reverting.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerard O'Reilly & Karl Whelan, 2004.
"Has Euro-area inflation persistence changed over time?,"
Open Access publications
10197/251, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Gerard O'Reilly & Karl Whelan, 2005. "Has Euro-Area Inflation Persistence Changed Over Time?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 709-720, November.
- Gerard O'Reilly & Karl Whelan, 2005. "Has Euro-area inflation persistence changed over time?," Open Access publications 10197/211, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- O'Reilly,Gerard & Whelan, Karl, 2004. "Has Euro-Area Inflation Persistence Changed Over Time?," Research Technical Papers 4/RT/04, Central Bank of Ireland.
- O'Reilly, Gerard & Whelan, Karl, 2004. "Has euro-area inflation persistence changed over time?," Working Paper Series 0335, European Central Bank.
- Laurence Ball & Niamh Sheridan, 2003.
"Does Inflation Targeting Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
9577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bilke, Laurent, 2005. "Break in the mean and persistence of inflation: a sectoral analysis of French CPI," Working Paper Series 0463, European Central Bank.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Guy Debelle, 2005.
"Has the inflation process changed?,"
BIS Working Papers
185, Bank for International Settlements.
- Crowder, William J & Hoffman, Dennis L, 1996. "The Long-Run Relationship between Nominal Interest Rates and Inflation: The Fisher Equation Revisited," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 102-18, February.
- Bilke, L., 2005. "Break in the Mean and Persistence of Inflation: a Sectoral Analysis of French CPI," Working papers 122, Banque de France.
- Nikolaou, Kleopatra, 2008. "The behaviour of the real exchange rate: Evidence from regression quantiles," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 664-679, May.
- Koenker, Roger & Xiao, Zhijie, 2006. "Quantile Autoregression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 980-990, September.
- Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2004. "Unit Root Quantile Autoregression Inference," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 775-787, January.
- Andrew T. Levin & Jeremy M. Piger, 2003.
"Is inflation persistence intrinsic in industrial economies?,"
2002-023, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Andrew Levin & Jeremy Piger, 2003. "Is Inflation Persistence Intrinsic in Industrial Economies?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 298, Society for Computational Economics.
- Levin, Andrew T. & Piger, Jeremy M., 2004. "Is inflation persistence intrinsic in industrial economies?," Working Paper Series 0334, European Central Bank.
- Christopher F. Baum & John T. Barkoulas & Mustafa Caglayan, 1999.
"Persistence in International Inflation Rates,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 900-913, April.
- Batini, Nicoletta, 2002.
"Euro area inflation persistence,"
Working Paper Series
0201, European Central Bank.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Beechey, Meredith & Österholm, Pär, 2009. "Time-varying inflation persistence in the Euro area," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 532-535, March.
- Tsong, Ching-Chuan & Lee, Cheng-Feng, 2011. "Asymmetric inflation dynamics: Evidence from quantile regression analysis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 668-680.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Camarero, M. & Esteve, V. & Tamarit, C., 1996.
"Price Convergence of Periphical European Countries on the Way to the EMU: A Time Series Approach,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
96-2, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Miriam Camarero & Vicente Esteve & Cecilio Tamarit, 2000. "Price convergence of peripheral European countries on the way to the EMU: A time series approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 149-168.
- I Paya & A Duarte & K Holden, 2006.
"On the relationship between inflation persistence and temporal aggregation,"
578936, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Ivan Paya & Agustin Duarte & Ken Holden, 2007. "On the Relationship between Inflation Persistence and Temporal Aggregation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(6), pages 1521-1531, 09.
- Timothy Cogley & Thomas Sargent, .
"Drifts and Volatilities: Monetary Policies and Outcomes in the Post WWII US,"
2133503, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Timothy Cogley & Thomas J. Sargent, 2005. "Drift and Volatilities: Monetary Policies and Outcomes in the Post WWII U.S," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(2), pages 262-302, April.
- Timothy Cogley & Thomas J. Sargent, 2003. "Drifts and volatilities: monetary policies and outcomes in the post WWII U.S," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2003-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Baillie, Richard T & Chung, Ching-Fan & Tieslau, Margie A, 1996. "Analysing Inflation by the Fractionally Integrated ARFIMA-GARCH Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, Jan.-Feb..
- Çiçek, Serkan, 2012. "Globalization and flattening of Phillips Curve in Turkey between 1987 and 2007," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1655-1661.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Luc Aucremanne & Michael Ehrmann & Jordi Galí & Andrew Levin & Frank Smets, 2006.
"New Evidence on Inflation Persistence and Price Stickiness in the Euro Area: Implications for Macro Modeling,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 562-574, 04-05.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Luc Aucremanne & Michael Ehrmann & Jordi Galí & Andrew Levin & Frank Smets, 2005. "New Evidence on Inflation Persistence and Price Stickiness in the Euro Area: Implications for Macro Modelling," Working Papers 242, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ignazio Angelloni & Luc Aucremanne & Michael Ehrmann & Jordi Galí & Andrew Levin & Frank Smets, 2005. "New evidence on inflation persistence and price stickiness in the Euro area: Implications for macro modelling," Economics Working Papers 910, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- William J. Crowder & Mark E. Wohar, 1999. "Are Tax Effects Important in the Long-Run Fisher Relationship? Evidence from the Municipal Bond Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 307-317, 02.
- G. William Schwert, 1988.
"Tests For Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwert, G William, 1989. "Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-59, April.
- Schwert, G William, 2002. "Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 5-17, January.
- Wojciech Charemza & Daniela Hristova & Peter Burridge, 2005. "Is inflation stationary?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 901-903.
- Pivetta, Frederic & Reis, Ricardo, 2007. "The persistence of inflation in the United States," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1326-1358, April.
- Zhang, Chengsi & Clovis, Joel, 2010. "China inflation dynamics: Persistence and policy regimes," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 373-388, May.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1998. "Two Crises: Inflationary Inertia and Credibility," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 680-702, May.
- Tsung-wu Ho, 2009. "The inflation rates may accelerate after all: panel evidence from 19 OECD economies," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 55-64, February.
- Oguz Atuk & Beyza Pinar Ural, 2002. "Seasonal Adjustment Methods : An Application to the Turkish Monetary Aggregates," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 2(1), pages 21-37.
- C. Emre Alper & Murat Ucer, 1998. "Some Observations on Turkish Inflation: A ''Random Walk'' Down the Past Decade," Working Papers 1998/02, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:31:y:2013:i:c:p:104-118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.