Off-farm employment and time allocation in on-farm work in rural China from gender perspective
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Cai, Fang & Wang, Meiyan, 2010. "Growth and structural changes in employment in transition China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 71-81, March.
- Qiaolun Ye & Scott Rozelle, 1994. "Fertilizer Demand in China's Reforming Economy," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 42(2), pages 191-207, July.
- Mu, Ren & van de Walle, Dominique, 2011.
"Left behind to farm? Women's labor re-allocation in rural China,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages 83-97.
- Mu, Ren & van de Walle, Dominique, 2009. "Left behind to farm ? women's labor re-allocation in rural China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5107, The World Bank.
- Alan De Brauw, 2010. "Seasonal Migration and Agricultural Production in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 114-139.
- Zhang, Linxiu & de Brauw, Alan & Rozelle, Scott, 2004. "China's rural labor market development and its gender implications," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 230-247.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2013.
"Migration, Remittances, and Rural Employment Patterns: Evidence from China,"
Research in Labor Economics, in: Corrado Giulietti & Konstantinos Tatsiramos & Klaus F. Zimmermann (ed.), Labor Market Issues in China, volume 37, pages 31-63,
Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- Sylvie Démurger & Li Shi, 2012. "Migration, Remittances and Rural Employment Patterns : Evidence from China," Working Papers 1230, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique Lyon St-Étienne (GATE Lyon St-Étienne), Université de Lyon.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2013. "Migration, remittances and rural employment patterns : Evidence from China," Post-Print halshs-00799514, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2012. "Migration, Remittances and Rural Employment Patterns: Evidence from China," Post-Print halshs-00744438, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Shi Li, 2012. "Migration, remittances and rural employment patterns: Evidence from China," Post-Print halshs-00957595, HAL.
- Michael Lokshin & Elena Glinskaya, 2009. "The Effect of Male Migration on Employment Patterns of Women in Nepal," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 23(3), pages 481-507, November.
- Jian Zhang & Linxiu Zhang & Scott Rozelle & Steve Boucher, 2006. "Self-Employment With Chinese Characteristics: The Forgotten Engine Of Rural China'S Growth," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(3), pages 446-458, July.
- Alberto Alesina & Paola Giuliano & Nathan Nunn, 2013.
"On the Origins of Gender Roles: Women and the Plough,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 128(2), pages 469-530.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Giuliano, Paola & Nunn, Nathan, 2011. "On the origins of gender roles: women and the plough," CEPR Discussion Papers 8418, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alesina, Alberto & Giuliano, Paola & Nunn, Nathan, 2011. "On the Origins of Gender Roles: Women and the Plough," IZA Discussion Papers 5735, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Alberto F. Alesina & Paola Giuliano & Nathan Nunn, 2011. "On the Origins of Gender Roles: Women and the Plough," NBER Working Papers 17098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paola Giuliano, 2012. "On The Origins Of Gender Roles: Women And The Plough," 2012 Meeting Papers 1186, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Palacios-Lopez, Amparo & Christiaensen, Luc & Kilic, Talip, 2017.
"How much of the labor in African agriculture is provided by women?,"
Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 52-63.
- Palacios-Lopez,Amparo & Christiaensen,Luc & Kilic,Talip, 2015. "How much of the labor in African agriculture is provided by women ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7282, The World Bank.
- Huayong Zhi & Zhurong Huang & Jikun Huang & Scott D. Rozelle & Andrew D. Mason, 2013. "Impact of the Global Financial Crisis in Rural China: Gender, Off-farm Employment, and Wages," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 238-266, July.
- Binzel, Christine & Assaad, Ragui, 2011.
"Egyptian men working abroad: Labour supply responses by the women left behind,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(S1), pages 98-114.
- Binzel, Christine & Assaad, Ragui, 2011. "Egyptian Men Working Abroad: Labor Supply Responses by the Women Left Behind," IZA Discussion Papers 5589, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Casper Hansen & Peter Jensen & Christian Skovsgaard, 2015. "Modern gender roles and agricultural history: the Neolithic inheritance," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 365-404, December.
- Alan de Brauw & Jikun Huang & Linxiu Zhang & Scott Rozelle, 2013.
"The Feminisation of Agriculture with Chinese Characteristics,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(5), pages 689-704, May.
- de Brauw, Alan & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2012. "The Feminization of Agriculture with Chinese Characteristics:," IFPRI discussion papers 1189, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lisa Pfeiffer & Alejandro López‐Feldman & J. Edward Taylor, 2009. "Is off‐farm income reforming the farm? Evidence from Mexico," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 125-138, March.
- C. Cindy Fan, 2003. "Rural‐urban migration and gender division of labor in transitional China," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(1), pages 24-47, March.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Susan Pozo, 2006. "Migration, Remittances, and Male and Female Employment Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Yi Che & Yan Zhang & Linhui Yu, 2015. "The development of farm labor market in rural China," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 280-302, May.
- Guy Stecklov & Calogero Carletto & Carlo Azzarri & Benjamin Davis, 2010. "Gender and migration from Albania," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 47(4), pages 935-961, November.
- Ji, Yueqing & Yu, Xiaohua & Zhong, Funing, 2012.
"Machinery investment decision and off-farm employment in rural China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 71-80.
- Ji, Yueqing & Zhong, Funing & Yu, Xiaohua, 2011. "Machinery investment decision and off-farm employment in rural China," IAMO Forum 2011: Will the "BRICs Decade" Continue? – Prospects for Trade and Growth 5, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- repec:hrv:faseco:33077826 is not listed on IDEAS
- Qiang Li & Jikun Huang & Renfu Luo & Chengfang Liu, 2013. "China's Labor Transition and the Future of China's Rural Wages and Employment," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 21(3), pages 4-24, May.
- Mendola, Mariapia & Carletto, Calogero, 2012. "Migration and gender differences in the home labour market: Evidence from Albania," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 870-880.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Xuan & Vuong, Nguyen, 2018. "Climate and Off-farm Labor Supply of Agricultural Households: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," 2018 Annual Meeting, August 5-7, Washington, D.C. 274187, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Renwick, A. & Ma, W. & Nie, P. & Tang, J., 2018. "The Joint Effects of Off-farm Work and Smartphone Use on Household Income in Rural China," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277304, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ma, Wanglin & Zhou, Xiaoshi & Renwick, Alan, 2019. "Impact of off-farm income on household energy expenditures in China: Implications for rural energy transition," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 127(C), pages 248-258.
- Ma, Wanglin & Renwick, Alan & Nie, Peng & Tang, Jianjun & Cai, Rong, 2018. "Off-farm work, smartphone use and household income: Evidence from rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 80-94.
More about this item
KeywordsOff-farm employees; Left behind farmers; On-farm working days; Gender difference;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:chieco:v:41:y:2016:i:c:p:34-45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/chieco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.