Why Labor Market Response Differed in the Great Recession: The Impact of Institutions and Policy
This paper investigates the performance of labor markets during the recent crisis for 28 industrialized countries, specifically the reaction of employment and unemployment indicators relative to output changes.We construct a composite indicator for output as well as labor market performance. The determinants of cross-country differences we chose are regulation, flexicurity elements and contracts. We find robust positive impact from labor market regulation, while the impact of flexicurity strategies and contracts are difficult to pin down econometrically. Finally, we venture a tentative look at the ongoing recovery.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 466-72, May.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2008.
"Las secuelas de las crisis financieras
[The aftermath of financial crisis]," MPRA Paper 13695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 14656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," Scholarly Articles 11129155, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 7209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2008. "Las secuelas de las crisis financieras
- John Martin & Stefano Scarpetta, 2012.
"Setting It Right: Employment Protection, Labour Reallocation and Productivity,"
Springer, vol. 160(2), pages 89-116, June.
- Martin, John P. & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2011. "Setting It Right: Employment Protection, Labour Reallocation and Productivity," IZA Policy Papers 27, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2009.
"Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the 2008 Crisis: Early Warning,"
NBER Working Papers
15357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2009. "Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the 2008 Crisis: Early Warning," CEPR Discussion Papers 7354, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2009. "Cross-country causes and consequences of the 2008 crisis: early warning," Working Paper Series 2009-17, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, . "Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the 2008 Crisis: Early Warning," Working Papers 6, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Karl Aiginger, 2009. "Strengthening the resilience of an economy," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 44(5), pages 309-316, September.
- Gian M Milesi-Ferretti & Philip R. Lane, 2010.
"The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis,"
IMF Working Papers
10/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2010. "The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 7954, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2010. "The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp333, IIIS.
- Franz Traxler, 2003. "Bargaining (De)centralization, Macroeconomic Performance and Control over the Employment Relationship," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(1), pages 1-27, 03.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Cottarelli, Carlo & Spilimbergo, Antonio & Symansky, Steven, 2009.
"Fiscal Policy for the Crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7130, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999.
"Labor market institutions and economic performance,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Jean-Claude Barbier & Fabrice Colomb & Per Kongshøj Madsen, 2009. "Flexicurity - an open method of coordination, at the national level?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09046, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Karl Aiginger, 2010. "Post Crisis Policy: Some Reflections of a Keynesian Economist," WIFO Working Papers 371, WIFO.
- Berkmen, S. Pelin & Gelos, Gaston & Rennhack, Robert & Walsh, James P., 2012.
"The global financial crisis: Explaining cross-country differences in the output impact,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 42-59.
- R. G Gelos & Robert Rennhack & James P Walsh & Pelin Berkmen, 2009. "The Global Financial Crisis - Explaining Cross-Country Differences in the Output Impact," IMF Working Papers 09/280, International Monetary Fund.
- Howell David R. & Baker Dean & Glyn Andrew & Schmitt John, 2007. "Are Protective Labor Market Institutions at the Root of Unemployment? A Critical Review of the Evidence," Capitalism and Society, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-73, May.
- Karl Aiginger, 2011. "Why Performance Differed Across Countries in the Recent Crisis. How Country Performance in the Recent Crisis Depended on Pre-crisis Conditions," WIFO Working Papers 387, WIFO.
- Stijn Claessens & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2010. "Cross-country experiences and policy implications from the global financial crisis," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 267-293, 04.
- AIGINGER Karl, 2011. "Why Performance Differed Across Countries In The Recent Crisis," Revista Economica, Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences, vol. 55(2), pages 20-27.
- Aiginger, Karl, 2010. "The Great Recession versus the Great Depression: stylized facts on siblings that were given different foster parents," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cmn:journl:y:2012:i:3:p:1-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zuzana Machova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.