Labour Market Policies in Times of Crisis: A Comparison of the 1992-1993 and 2008-2010 Recessions
This article examines the reaction function of labour market expenditure to the economic cycle and especially to the labour market situation in 24 OECD countries, over the period 1985 to 2010. The level of public debt is also introduced as a potential determinant of labour market policy expenditures. Using a fixed effect model with interacting terms, it focuses on two periods of crisis (1992-1993 and 2007-2009). The results indicate that the level of reactivity of labour market expenditure did in general decrease between the early 1990s and the 2008 downturn. This could result from important reforms in this field, over the last 20 years.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cazes, Sandrine, 2009. "Labour market policies in times of crisis," ILO Working Papers 434163, International Labour Organization.
- Karl Aiginger & Thomas Horvath & Helmut Mahringer, .
"Why Labour Market Response Differed in the Great Recession: The Impact of Institutions and Policy,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Karl Aiginger & Thomas Horvath & Helmut Mahringer, 2012. "Why Labor Market Response Differed in the Great Recession: The Impact of Institutions and Policy," DANUBE: Law and Economics Review, European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 3, pages 1-19, September.
- Marion Cochard & Gerard Cornilleau & Eric Heyer, 2010.
"Les marchés du travail dans la crise,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Ohlsson, Henry, 1992.
"Job creation measures as activist fiscal policy -- an empirical analysis of policy reaction behavior,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 269-280, May.
- Ohlsson, H., 1990. "Job Creation Measures As Activist Fiscal Policy: An Empirical Analysis Of Policy Reaction Behavior," Papers 1990d, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Forslund, Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Vikström, Johan, 2011.
"What active labor market policy works in a recession?,"
Research Papers in Economics
2011:9, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Forslund, Anders & Fredriksson, Peter & Vikström, Johan, 2011. "What active labor market policy works in a recession?," Working Paper Series 2011:2, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- David Howell, Bert M. Azizoglu, 2011.
"Unemployment Benefits and Work Incentives: The U.S. Labor Market in the Great Recession,"
SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization.
2011-7, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- David R. Howell & Bert M. Azizoglu, 2011. "Unemployment benefits and work incentives: the US labour market in the Great Recession," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 221-240.
- Anxo, Dominique & Niklasson, Harald, 2006.
"The Swedish Model in Turbulent Times: Decline or Renaissance?,"
CAFO Working Papers
2006:6, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
- Dominique ANXO & Harald NIKLASSON, 2006. "The Swedish model in turbulent times: Decline or renaissance?," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 145(4), pages 339-371, December.
- John Grahl & Paul Teague, 2013. "Reconstructing the eurozone: the role of EU social policy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 677-692.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- John Schmitt, 2011. "Labor Market Policy in the Great Recession: Some Lessons from Denmark and Germany," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2011-12, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Eamets, Raul, 2013. "Labour Market and Labour Market Policies During the Great Recession: The Case of Estonia," IZA Policy Papers 60, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:13060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.