Les inégalités spatiales dans l'usage des tic. Le cas des firmes industrielles françaises
In this paper, we consider the factors influencing the adoption of Information and Communication Technologies (ict) by firms and intend to identify the sources of inequalities in this process. We test the influence of organizational and spatial factors on the intensity of ict use by French industrial firms, and notably the influence of the more or less urban nature (vs rural) of their location. We then examine the determinants of firms? behavior according to their location. We find that being located in a rural area ?size and sector effects being controlled for? reduces the probability of ict adoption and the intensity of their use. Beyond the existence of this technological gap between urban and rural areas, the results also highlight the influence of the qualification level of labour in firms and more globally of their structural attributes and modes of organization. Classification JEL : L20, O18, O33, R11
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dupuy, Claude & Gilly, Jean-Pierre, 1999. "Industrial Groups and Territories: The Case of Matra-Marconi-Space in Toulouse," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 207-23, March.
- Nathalie Greenan & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2005.
"Informatique, organisation du travail et interactions sociales,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 387(1), pages 35-63.
- Nathalie Greenan & Emmanuelle Walkowiak, 2005. "Informatique, organisation du travail et intéractions sociales," Econometrics 0505008, EconWPA.
- Brousseau, Eric, 1994. "EDI and inter-firm relationships: toward a standardization of coordination processes?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(3-4), pages 319-347, December.
- Antonio Ciccone, 1998.
"Agglomeration-effects in Europe,"
Economics Working Papers
499, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1999.
- Anders Malmberg & Bo Malmberg & Per Lundequist, 2000. "Agglomeration and firm performance: economies of scale, localisation, and urbanisation among Swedish export firms," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(2), pages 305-321, February.
- Danielle Galliano & Pascale Roux & Maryline Filippi, 2001. "Organisational and spatial determinants of ICT adoption: the case of French industrial firms," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(9), pages 1643-1663, September.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003.
"Multivariate probit regression using simulated maximum likelihood,"
United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003
10, Stata Users Group.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003. "Multivariate probit regression using simulated maximum likelihood," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(3), pages 278-294, September.
- Sylvie Charlot & Gilles Duranton, 2006.
"Les modes de communication et leurs combinaisons. Quand l'espace compte toujours,"
9309, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Sylvie Charlot & Gilles Duranton, 2006. "Les modes de communication et leurs combinaisons. Quand l'espace compte toujours," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(6), pages 1427-1447.
- Nathalie Greenan, 2003. "Organisational change, technology, employment and skills: an empirical study of French manufacturing," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 287-316, March.
- Chris Forman & Avi Goldfarb & Shane Greenstein, 2003. "How did Location Affect Adoption of the Commercial Internet? Global Village, Urban Density, and Industry Composition," NBER Working Papers 9979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David A. McGranahan, 2002. "Local Context and Advanced Technology Use by Small, Independent Manufacturers in Rural Areas," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1237-1245.
- N Alderman & M M Fischer, 1992. "Innovation and technological change: an Austrian - British comparison," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(2), pages 273-288, February.
- H. Frederick Gale, 1998. "Rural Manufacturing on the Crest of the Wave: A Count Data Analysis of Technology Use," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 347-359.
- Ota, Mitsuru & Fujita, Masahisa, 1993. "Communication technologies and spatial organization of multi-unit firms in metropolitan areas," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 695-729, December.
- Jane Sneddon Little & Robert K. Triest, 1996. "Technology diffusion in U.S. manufacturing: the geographic dimension," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 40(Jun), pages 215-268.
- Michel Gollac & Nathalie Greenan & Sylvie Hamon-Cholet, 2000. "L'informatisation de l'« ancienne » économie : nouvelles machines, nouvelles organisations et nouveaux travailleurs," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 339(1), pages 171-201.
- Gale, H. Frederick, Jr., 1997. "Is There A Rural-Urban Technology Gap? Results of the ERS Rural Manufacturing Survey," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33709, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Emmanuelle Chevassus-Lozza & Danielle Galliano, 2003. "Local Spillovers, Firm Organization and Export Behaviour: Evidence from the French Food Industry," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-158.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2001. "The Microeconomics of Technological Systems," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245536, March.
- Danielle Galliano & Roux, 2003. "Espaces, organisations et TIC : les enseignements d'une comparaison intersectorielle," Working Papers 155625, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:recosp:reco_576_1449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.