Entry Deterrence and the Calculation of the Net Cost of Universal Service Obligations
This paper relates to the current discussion about how to measure the net cost and the unfair burden of universal service provision in network industries. The established profitability cost approach compares the profit of a universal service provider (USP) with and without a universal service obligation (USO). This paper argues that the net cost of universal service provision critically depends on the regulatory counterfactual and hence the USPs strategy space without USO. On the one hand, a strong USO limits the USPs means to position itself in the market, which offers cream-skimming opportunities and invites competition. On the other hand, a simple game-theoretic entry analysis shows that the USO may effectively serve as a valuable strategic commitment device to deter entry. Hence, the USO may be valuable to the USP despite causing inefficient operations. From a policy perspective, this constitutes a counter-intuitive result for the definition of the USO: the stricter it is regulated, the more detrimental it may be to competition and, therefore, the smaller is its burden on the USP.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/rne|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Michael Spence, 1977. "Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 534-544, Autumn.
- Panzar, John C., 2000. "A methodology for measuring the costs of universal service obligations," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 211-220, September.
- Boldron, François & Cremer, Helmuth & De Donder, Philippe & Joram, Denis & Roy, Bernard, 2007.
"Social costs and benefits of the universal service obligation in the postal market,"
IDEI Working Papers
456, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Helmuth Cremer & Philippe De Donder & FranÃ§ois Boldron & Bernard Roy, 2008. "Social Costs and Benefits of the Universal Service Obligation in the Postal Market," Chapters, in: Competition and Regulation in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Valletti, Tommaso M & Hoernig, Steffen & Barros, Pedro P, 2002.
"Universal Service and Entry: The Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 169-90, March.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Hoernig, Steffen & Valletti, Tommaso, 2001. "Universal Service and Entry: the Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401.
- Harstad, Ronald M & Crew, Michael A, 1999. "Franchise Bidding without Holdups: Utility Regulation with Efficient Pricing and Choice of Provider," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 141-63, March.
- Christian Jaag, 2007.
"Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations,"
0006, Swiss Economics.
- Christian Jaag, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 261-282, September.
- Jaag, Christian, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," MPRA Paper 6121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C. Jaag & U. Trinkner, 2009.
"Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 10(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries," Working Papers 0013, Swiss Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008.
"Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand,"
in: Handbook of Worldwide Postal Reform, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand," Working Papers 0008, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2008.
"Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach,"
0010, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach," Chapters, in: Progress in the Competitive Agenda in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Claire Borsenberger & Helmuth Cremer & Philippe De Donder & Denis Joram & Bernard Roy, 2010. "Funding the cost of universal service in a liberalized postal sector," Chapters, in: Heightening Competition in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 14 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Crew, Michael A & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1998. "Efficient Entry, Monopoly, and the Universal Service Obligation in Postal Service," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 103-25, September.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Robert Cohen & Charles McBride & John C. Panzar, 2010. "The cost of the USO in the United States," Chapters, in: Heightening Competition in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 16 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:rneart:v:10:y:2011:i:1:n:4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.