Price Regulation and the Financing of Universal Services in Network Industries
This article explores the complementary roles of price regulation and universal service regulation in network industries. It analyzes compensation for the universal service provider (USP) by public finances and a fund to which operators contribute. As long as the USP enjoys market power, price regulation may serve as a means to finance universal services. This implies allowing for price increases to compensate for the net cost of the universal service obligation. It releases competing operators or the general government budget from contributing to its financing but results in distorted pricing and reduced overall welfare due to inefficient entry. The analysis shows that current practices of costing and financing universal services may result in unintended market distortions. The article quantifies these effects and demonstrates how such distortions can be avoided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/rle|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Jaag, 2007.
"Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 261-282, September.
- Christian Jaag, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," Working Papers 0006, Swiss Economics.
- Jaag, Christian, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," MPRA Paper 6121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tardiff Timothy J. & Taylor William E., 2003. "Aligning Price Regulation with Telecommunications Competition," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-17, December.
- Panzar, John C., 2000. "A methodology for measuring the costs of universal service obligations," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 211-220, September.
- De Villemeur Etienne Billette & Cremer Helmuth & Boldron Francois & Roy Bernard, 2008. "Worksharing: A Calibrated Model," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-22, June.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1990. "The regulation of multiproduct firms : Part II: Applications to competitive environments and policy analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 37-66, October.
- Billette de Villemeur, Etienne, et al, 2003. "Optimal Pricing and Price-Cap Regulation in the Postal Sector," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 49-62, July.
- Jaag Christian, 2011. "What is an Unfair Burden? Compensating the Net Cost of Universal Service Provision," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-32, September.
- Beat Friedli & Christian Jaag & Daniel Kraehenbuehl & Ole Bach Nielsen & Søren-Michael Pihl & Urs Trinkner, 2006. "Consumer preferences and last mile pricing in the postal sector," Working Papers 0004, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- Christian Jaag & Helmut Dietl, 2011. "Postal and Regulatory Reform in Intermodal Competition," Working Papers 0031, Swiss Economics.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Hoernig, Steffen & Valletti, Tommaso, 2001.
"Universal Service and Entry: the Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Valletti, Tommaso M & Hoernig, Steffen & Barros, Pedro P, 2002. "Universal Service and Entry: The Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 169-90, March.
- Armstrong Mark, 2008.
"Access Pricing, Bypass and Universal Service in Post,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2006. "Access pricing, bypass and universal service in post," MPRA Paper 62, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael A. Crew & Paul R. Kleindorfer (ed.), 2009. "Progress in the Competitive Agenda in the Postal and Delivery Sector," Books, Edward Elgar, number 13248, April.
- GAUTIER, Axel & PAOLINI, Dimitri, 2010.
"Universal service financing in competitive postal markets : one size does not fill all,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2010032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gautier Axel & Paolini Dimitri, 2011. "Universal Service Financing in Competitive Postal Markets: One Size Does Not Fit All," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-30, September.
- GAUTIER, Axel & PAOLINI, Dimitri, . "Universal service financing in competitive postal markets: one size does not fit all," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2336, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Axel Gautier & Dimitri Paolini, 2010. "Universal service financing in competitive postal markets:One size does not fit all," CREPP Working Papers 1004, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- A. Gautier & D. Paolini, 2010. "Universal service financing in competitive postal markets: one size does not fit all," Working Paper CRENoS 201014, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2011. "The interaction between universal service costing and financing in the postal sector: a calibrated approach," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 89-110, February.
- Jaag Christian, 2011.
"Entry Deterrence and the Calculation of the Net Cost of Universal Service Obligations,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Christian Jaag, 2010. "Entry Deterrence and the Calculation of the Net Cost of Universal Service Obligations," Working Papers 0020, Swiss Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:rlecon:v:9:y:2013:i:1:p:125-150:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.