Developing Universal Postal Services in Latin America – an Economic Perspective
The paper first analyzes if there is a need to develop universal postal services in developing countries. We conclude that postal services serve vital functions in economies now and for the foreseeable future. We then discuss regulatory remedies that will foster the evolution of universal postal services in developing countries.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2008|
|Publication status:||Published as “El desarrollo de servicios postales universales en América Latina: una perspectiva económica" in Más allá del mercado. Las políticas de servicio universal en América Latina, edited by Calzada, J., A. Costas and J. Jordana. Barcelona, Fundación CIDOB, 377-406|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.swiss-economics.ch|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dietl Helmut & Grütter Andreas & Lutzenberger Martin, 2008. "Deregulation of Letter Markets and its Impact on Process and Product Innovation," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008.
"Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries,"
0013, Swiss Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- C. Jaag & U. Trinkner, 2009. "Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 10(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Joan Calzada Aymerich, 2004.
"Worksharing and access discounts in the postal sector with asymmetrics information,"
Working Papers in Economics
112, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Joan Calzada, 2006. "Worksharing and Access Discounts in the Postal Sector with Asymmetric Information," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 69-102, 01.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Urs Trinkner & Reto Bleisch, 2004. "Liberalization and Regulation of the Swiss Letter Market," Working Papers 0001, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2005.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007.
"Pricing in competitive two-sided mail markets,"
0007, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2007.
- Catia Felisberto & Matthias Finger & Beat Friedli & Daniel Kraehenbuehl & Urs Trinkner, 2005. "Pricing the last mile in the postal sector," Working Papers 0003, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2005.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008.
"Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand,"
in: Handbook of Worldwide Postal Reform, chapter 5
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand," Working Papers 0008, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2008.
"Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach,"
0010, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach," Chapters, in: Progress in the Competitive Agenda in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Urs Trinkner, 2006. "Economies of scale, density and scope in Swiss Post’s Mail Delivery," Working Papers 0005, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- Christian Jaag, 2007.
"Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations,"
0006, Swiss Economics.
- Christian Jaag, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 261-282, September.
- Jaag, Christian, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," MPRA Paper 6121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calzada, Joan, 2009. "Universal service obligations in the postal sector: The relationship between quality and coverage," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 10-20, February.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Andreas Grütter & Martin Lutzenberger & Catia Felisberto & Matthias Finger, 2008. "The Effect of Entry Regulation on Process Innovation in the Swiss Mail Industry," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(I), pages 37-55, March.
- repec:rne:rneart:v:7:y:2008:i:2:p:231-246 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chc:wpaper:0012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Jaag)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.