Universal Service Obligation and Loyalty Effects: An Agent-Based Modelling Approach
In network industries, a Universal Service Obligation (USO) is often seen as a burden on an incumbent, which requires compensation for the net cost of such service provision. This paper estimates the effects of consumer loyalty as an intangible benefit of USO in the postal sector. In doing so, the agent-based modelling (ABM) approach is applied, which makes it possible to model the behaviour of boundedly rational consumers and is thus particularly appropriate for taking into account intangibles considerations. The analysis shows that loyalty is crucial to whether the USO uniform pricing constraint results in loss-making or profitability. Under certain conditions and in the presence of a loyalty parameter, uniform pricing gives a USO provider an advantage, when the size of the rural area is sufficiently big and a disadvantage, if its size is too small. This finding is counterintuitive as USO providers in countries with sparsely populated areas are typically expected to incur a significant net cost of USO.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Yearbook of Antitrust and Regulatory Studies 2012.5(7)(2012): pp. 125-141|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Donder Philippe & Cremer Helmuth & Dudley Paul & Rodriguez Frank, 2011.
"Welfare and Pricing of Mail in a Communications Market,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-24, September.
- Cremer, Helmuth & De Donder, Philippe & Dudley, Paul & Rodriguez, Frank, 2010. "Welfare and Pricing of Mail in a Communications Market," IDEI Working Papers 601, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Cremer, Helmuth & De Donder, Philippe & Dudley, Paul & Rodriguez, Frank, 2010. "Welfare and Pricing of Mail in a Communications Market," TSE Working Papers 10-148, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2008.
"Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach,"
0010, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach," Chapters, in: Progress in the Competitive Agenda in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
- Calzada, Joan, 2009. "Universal service obligations in the postal sector: The relationship between quality and coverage," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 10-20, February.
- Fratini Alessandra, 2011. "The Universal Postal Service after the Lisbon Treaty: a True Step Forward?," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-18, September.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2011. "The interaction between universal service costing and financing in the postal sector: a calibrated approach," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 89-110, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:48549. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.