Universal Service Financing in Competitive Postal Markets: One Size Does Not Fit All
In the postal sector, the financial burden of the universal service depends on its content, the postal market characteristics and the countrys geographical configuration. These three groups of factors affect both the direct cost of providing the service and the extent of competition on the market. In this paper, we consider countries with different geographical characteristics and we show that the choice of an appropriate mechanism to share the burden of universal service between market participants depends on the country configuration. Thus, for universal service financing, one size does not fit all.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/rne|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2005.
"Regulating Access to Stimulate Competition in Postal Markets,"
2005-026, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2006. "Regulating access to stimulate competition in postal markets?," Other publications TiSEM 21b1fca3-5f00-4ffa-849d-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-2006 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philippe Choné & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 1999.
"Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market,"
99-55, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Philippe Chone & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 2000. "Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0213, Econometric Society.
- Gonzales dâ€™Alcantara & Axel Gautier, 2008.
"National Postal Strategies after a Full Postal Market Opening,"
in: Competition and Regulation in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 12
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- D’ALCANTARA, Gonzales & GAUTIER, Axel, . "National postal strategies after a full postal market opening," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:rneart:v:10:y:2011:i:3:n:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.