Universal service financing in competitive postal markets: one size does not fit all
In the postal sector, the net cost of universal service depends on the content of the service, the postal market characteristics and the country s geographical configuration. These three groups of factors affect both the direct cost of providing the service and the extent of competition on the market. In this paper, we consider countries with different geographical characteristics and we show that the choice of an appropriate mechanism to share the cost of universal service between market participants depends on the country configuration. Thus, for universal service financing, one size does not fit all.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Giorgio 12, I-09124 Cagliari|
Web page: http://www.crenos.unica.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D’ALCANTARA, Gonzales & GAUTIER, Axel, .
"National postal strategies after a full postal market opening,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gonzales dâ€™Alcantara & Axel Gautier, 2008. "National Postal Strategies after a Full Postal Market Opening," Chapters, in: Competition and Regulation in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 12 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Philippe Choné & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 1999.
"Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market,"
99-55, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Philippe Chone & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 2000. "Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0213, Econometric Society.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-2006 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2005.
"Regulating Access to Stimulate Competition in Postal Markets,"
2005-026, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2006. "Regulating access to stimulate competition in postal markets?," Other publications TiSEM 21b1fca3-5f00-4ffa-849d-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cns:cnscwp:201014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.