Reforming the postal universal service
The postal sector has undergone dramatic changes over the recent years under the double effect of ongoing liberalization and increased competition with alternative communication channels (e-substitution). As a result, the mail volume handled by the historical operator has declined sharply while the latter’s ability to match the same standard of universal service may be under threat. Thus, a reform of the postal universal service is on the agenda. This paper examines possible reforming options ranging from keeping universal service within the postal sector to redefining universal service as spanning postal and electronic technologies.
|Date of creation:||22 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Billon, Margarita & Marco, Rocio & Lera-Lopez, Fernando, 0. "Disparities in ICT adoption: A multidimensional approach to study the cross-country digital divide," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10-11), pages 596-610, November.
- GAUTIER, Axel & PAOLINI, Dimitri, .
"Universal service financing in competitive postal markets: one size does not fit all,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2336, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gautier Axel & Paolini Dimitri, 2011. "Universal Service Financing in Competitive Postal Markets: One Size Does Not Fit All," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-30, September.
- GAUTIER, Axel & PAOLINI, Dimitri, 2010. "Universal service financing in competitive postal markets : one size does not fill all," CORE Discussion Papers 2010032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- A. Gautier & D. Paolini, 2010. "Universal service financing in competitive postal markets: one size does not fit all," Working Paper CRENoS 201014, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Axel Gautier & Dimitri Paolini, 2010. "Universal service financing in competitive postal markets:One size does not fit all," CREPP Working Papers 1004, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Calzada, Joan, 2009. "Universal service obligations in the postal sector: The relationship between quality and coverage," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 10-20, February.
- Gideon, Carolyn & Gabel, David, 2011. "Disconnecting: Understanding decline in universal service," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 737-751, September.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2011. "The future of the USO - Economic rationale for universal services and implications for a future-oriented USO," Working Papers 0026, Swiss Economics.
- H. Cremer & F. Gasmi & A. Grimaud & J. J. Laffont, 2001. "Universal Service: An economic perspective," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(1), pages 5-43, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2013024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.