Pooling in manufacturing: do opposites attract?
In a stochastic environment pooling naturally leads to economies of scale, but heterogeneity can also create variability. In this article, we investigate this trade-off in the case of a manufacturing environment. Pooling for queueing systems has been widely investigated while much less attention has been given to manufacturing systems where jobs are given a due date upon arrival. In such system it is not the elapsed time until the actual completion of the job that counts, but rather the lead time that can be promised to the customer in order to guarantee a high service level. In this paper, we study the benefits of pooling stochastic systems in such manufacturing setting with multiple customer types. Our results demonstrate that, in stark contrast with what was previously observed in service environments, heterogeneity is generally not deteriorating performance. Furthermore, our analytical and simulation studies reveal that the benefits of pooling in terms of the expected sojourn time can serve as a good prediction for the benefits of pooling on the average due-date lead time in a wide range of situations.
|Date of creation:||23 Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- So, Kut C. & Song, Jing-Sheng, 1998. "Price, delivery time guarantees and capacity selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 28-49, November.
- Koulamas, Christos & Kyparisis, George J., 2008. "Single-machine scheduling with waiting-time-dependent due dates," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 577-581, December.
- Avishai Mandelbaum & Martin I. Reiman, 1998. "On Pooling in Queueing Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 971-981, July.
- Jain, Apurva, 2007. "Value of capacity pooling in supply chains with heterogeneous customers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 239-260, February.
- FÖRSTER, Manuel & GRABISCH, Michel & RUSINOWSKA, Agnieszka, 2013.
"Anonymous social influence,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2013028, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Manuel Förster & Michel Grabisch & Agnieszka Rusinowsk, 2013. "Anonymous Social Influence," Working Papers 2013.51, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Manuel Förster & Michel Grabisch & Agnieszka Rusinowska, 2012. "Ordered Weighted Averaging in Social Networks," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12056, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521887427 is not listed on IDEAS
- WANG, Kent & WANG, Shin-Huei & PAN, Zheyao, 2013. "Can federal reserve policy deviation explain response patterns of financial markets over time?," CORE Discussion Papers 2013029, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Diwakar Gupta & Yigal Gerchak, 2002. "Quantifying Operational Synergies in a Merger/Acquisition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(4), pages 517-533, April.
- Lawrence M. Wein, 1991. "Due-Date Setting and Priority Sequencing in a Multiclass M/G/1 Queue," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(7), pages 834-850, July.
- Sridharan, V. & Li, Xiaoming, 2008. "Improving delivery reliability by a new due-date setting rule," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(3), pages 1201-1211, May.
- Lawrence M. Wein & Philippe B. Chevalier, 1992. "A Broader View of the Job-Shop Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(7), pages 1018-1033, July.
- Vinod, V. & Sridharan, R., 2011. "Simulation modeling and analysis of due-date assignment methods and scheduling decision rules in a dynamic job shop production system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 127-146, January.
- Cheng, T. C. E. & Gupta, M. C., 1989. "Survey of scheduling research involving due date determination decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 156-166, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521715348 is not listed on IDEAS
- John A. Buzacott, 1996. "Commonalities in Reengineered Business Processes: Models and Issues," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(5), pages 768-782, May.
- Ananth V. Iyer & Apurva Jain, 2004. "Modeling the Impact of Merging Capacity in Production-Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(8), pages 1082-1094, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2013040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.