The option of joint purchase in vertically differentiated markets
Within the framework proposed by Mussa and Rosen (1978) for modelling quality differentiation, we allow consumers to buy simultaneously different variants of the same indivisible good. We call this the "joint purchase option". We show that this option dramatically affects price competition: while a unique equilibrium always prevails when consumers are assumed to make mutually exclusive purchases, either uniqueness, or multiplicity, or absence of price equilibrium arise when the joint purchase option is opened depending on the utility attached to joint purchase relative to separate purchases.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||In : Economic Theory, 22, 817-829, 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabszewicz, Jean & Sonnac, Nathalie & Wauthy, Xavier, 2001.
"On price competition with complementary goods,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 431-437, March.
- Jean Gabszewicz & Nathalie Sonnac & Xavier Wauthy, 2000. "On Price Competition with Complementary Goods," Working Papers 2000-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GABZEWICZ, Jean & SONNAC, Nathalie & WAUTHY, Xavier, . "On price competition with complementary goods," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1505, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & WAUTHY, Xavier, 2000. "Another perverse effect of monopoly power," CORE Discussion Papers 2000062, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvrp:1667. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.