Universal service financing in competitive postal markets : one size does not fill all
In the postal sector, the net cost of universal service depends on the content of the service, the postal market characteristics and the countryâ€™s geographical configuration. These three groups of factors affect both the direct cost of providing the service and the extent of competition on the market. In this paper, we consider countries with different geographical characteristics and we show that the choice of an appropriate mechanism to share the cost of universal service between market participants depends on the country configuration. Thus, for universal service financing, one size does not fit all.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2006.
"Regulating access to stimulate competition in postal markets?,"
Other publications TiSEM
21b1fca3-5f00-4ffa-849d-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & van Damme, E.E.C. & Larouche, P., 2005. "Regulating Access to Stimulate Competition in Postal Markets," Discussion Paper 2005-026, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Dâ€™ALCANTARA, Gonzales & GAUTIER, Axel, .
"National postal strategies after a full postal market opening,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gonzales dâ€™Alcantara & Axel Gautier, 2008. "National Postal Strategies after a Full Postal Market Opening," Chapters, in: Competition and Regulation in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 12 Edward Elgar.
- Philippe Chone & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 2000.
"Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0213, Econometric Society.
- Philippe Choné & Laurent Flochel & Anne Perrot, 1999. "Allocating and Funding Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Network Market," Working Papers 99-55, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-2006 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2010032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.