Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach
The paper presents the basic approaches to calculate the cost of the USO and compares them with the requirements of the 3rd postal directive. We conclude that the profitability cost approach will lead to consistent estimations if it is applied in a global way. We illustrate our findings with an econometric estimation of the net costs of Swiss Post’s obligation to provide a nationwide post office network for postal and financial services. We finally illustrate that the financing mechanism in place must be considered as well as there are important drawbacks on the cost of the USO.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in Progress in the Competitive Agenda in the Postal and Delivery Sector, edited by Crew, M A; Kleindorfer, P R., Cheltenham, 113-127|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.swiss-economics.ch|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massimo Filippini & Marika Zola, 2005. "Economies of scale and cost efficiency in the postal services: empirical evidence from Switzerland," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(7), pages 437-441.
- Christian Jaag, 2007.
"Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 261-282, September.
- Christian Jaag, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," Working Papers 0006, Swiss Economics.
- Jaag, Christian, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," MPRA Paper 6121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Urs Trinkner, 2006. "Economies of scale, density and scope in Swiss Post’s Mail Delivery," Working Papers 0005, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- C. Jaag & U. Trinkner, 2009. "Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 10(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries," Working Papers 0013, Swiss Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Urs Trinkner & Reto Bleisch, 2004. "Liberalization and Regulation of the Swiss Letter Market," Working Papers 0001, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2005.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand," Working Papers 0008, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Joan Calzada & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2010. "Universal service auctions in liberalized postal markets," Chapters, in: Heightening Competition in the Postal and Delivery Sector, chapter 17 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Joan Calzada & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "Universal Service Auctions in Liberalized Postal Markets," Working Papers 0014, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2009.