Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: Theoretical Models and Empirical Evidence
Over the past decades, growth in foreign direct investment (FDI) has stimulated significant attempts at developing theories that explain this trend. One line of this research explores the relationship between exchange rates and FDI. There is no consensus about the nature of this relationship in either the theoretical or empirical work. In this article, we critically appraise this body of work, and find the theoretical studies to be making ground in exploring the complexities of FDI, but the empirical evidence to be constrained by data problems.
Volume (Year): ()
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.infoEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xing, Yuqing & Wan, Guanghua, 2004. "Exchange Rates and Competition for FDI," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2003. "A theory of the spatial distribution of foreign direct investment," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 149-169.
- Yulin Ning & Michael R. Reed, 1995. "Locational determinants of the US direct foreign investment in food and kindred products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 77-85.
- Carlo Altomonte & Enrico Pennings, 2004.
"The Hazard Rate of Foreign Direct Investment: A Structural Estimation of a Real Option Model,"
259, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Enrico Pennings & Carlo Altomonte, 2006. "The Hazard Rate of Foreign Direct Investment: A Structural Estimation of a Real-option Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(5), pages 569-593, October.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger & Michael Ryan, 2010. "Bilateral and Third-Country Exchange Rate Effects on Multinational Activity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 1012-1027, November.
- Yuqing Xing & Laixun Zhao, 2003.
"Reverse Imports, Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rates,"
EMS_2003_03, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Xing, Yuqing & Zhao, Laixun, 2008. "Reverse imports, foreign direct investment and exchange rates," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 275-289, March.
- Nigel Pain & Desirée Van Welsum, 2003. "Untying The Gordian Knot: The Multiple Links Between Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 823-846, December.
- McAleer, Michael & Pagan, Adrian, 1985.
"What Will Take the Con Out of Econometrics?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
39, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Lipworth, Gabrielle, 1998.
"Japanese foreign direct investment and regional trade,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 581-607.
- Gabrielle Lipworth & Tamim Bayoumi, 1997. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Trade," IMF Working Papers 97/103, International Monetary Fund.
- Michal Brzozowski, 2003.
"Exchange Rate Variability and Foreign Direct Investment - Consequences of EMU Enlargement,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0258, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Michal Brzozowski, 2006. "Exchange Rate Variability and Foreign Direct Investment: Consequences of EMU Enlargement," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(1), pages 5-24, February.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Sung, Hongmo & Lapan, Harvey E, 2000.
"Strategic Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange-Rate Uncertainty,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(2), pages 411-23, May.
- Sung, Hongmo & Lapan, Harvey E., 2000. "Strategic Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Staff General Research Papers 1335, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- KaSaundra M. Tomlin, 2000. "The Effects of Model Specification on Foreign Direct Investment Models: An Application of Count Data Models," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 460-468, July.
- Alan Carruth & Andy Dickerson & Andrew Henley, 1998.
"What Do We Know About Investment Under Uncertainty?,"
Studies in Economics
9804, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Carruth, Alan & Dickerson, Andrew & Henley, Andrew, 2000. " What Do We Know about Investment under Uncertainty?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 119-53, April.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," NBER Working Papers 11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bettina Becker & Stephen Hall, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in industrial R&D and exchange rate uncertainty in the UK," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 4, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Robert Grosse & Len J Trevino, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: An Analysis by Country of Origin," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(1), pages 139-155, March.
- Marchant, Mary A. & Saghaian, Sayed H. & Vickner, Steven S., 1999. "Trade And Foreign Direct Investment Management Strategies For U.S. Processed Food Firms In China," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 2(02).
- Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1998. "Exchange Rate Effects on the Relationship between FDI and Trade in the U.S. Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1073-1079.
- Nikolina Kosteletou & Panagiotis Liargovas, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment and Real Exchange Rate Interlinkages," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 135-148, April.
- Blonigen, Bruce A, 1997. "Firm-Specific Assets and the Link between Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 447-65, June.
- Sylvia Gottschalk & R. Barrel & S.G. Hall, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment and exchange rate uncertainty in imperfectly competitive industries,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
39, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Sylvia Gottschalk & Ray Barrell & Stephen Hall, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment And Exchange Rate Uncertainty In Imperfectly Competitive Industries," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 64, Royal Economic Society.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Zadia Feliciano, 2002. "Foreign Entry into U.S. Manufacturing by Takeovers and the Creation of New Firms," NBER Working Papers 9122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Russ, Katheryn Niles, 2007. "The endogeneity of the exchange rate as a determinant of FDI: A model of entry and multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 344-372, April.
- Harris, Robert S & Ravenscraft, David, 1991. " The Role of Acquisitions in Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from the U.S. Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 825-44, July.
- Katheryn Niles Russ, 2007.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and First-Time Entry by Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
13659, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katheryn Russ, 2012. "Exchange rate volatility and first-time entry by multinational firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 269-295, June.
- Dewenter, Kathryn L, 1995. "Do Exchange Rate Changes Drive Foreign Direct Investment?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 405-33, July.
- Gregory Clare, 1992. "The impact of exchange rate risk on the foreign direct investment of U.S. multinational manufacturing companies," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 143-163, June.
- Qin, Jie, 2000. "Exchange Rate Risk and Two-Way Foreign Direct Investment," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 221-31, July.
- Isabel Faeth, 2005. "Determinants of FDI in Australia : Which Theory Can Explain it Best?," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 946, The University of Melbourne.
- Urata, Shujiro & Kawai, Hiroki, 2000. " The Determinants of the Location of Foreign Direct Investment by Japanese Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 79-103, September.
- Bruce Kogut & Nalin Kulatilaka, 1994. "Operating Flexibility, Global Manufacturing, and the Option Value of a Multinational Network," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 123-139, January.
- D. Alba, Joseph & Park, Donghyun & Wang, Peiming, 2009. "The Impact of Exchange Rate on FDI and the Interdependence of FDI over Time," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 164, Asian Development Bank.
- Yang, Jeannie Yih Yun & Groenewold, Nicolaas & Tcha, Moonjoong, 2000. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 76(232), pages 45-54, March.
- Sarkar, Sudipto, 2000. "On the investment-uncertainty relationship in a real options model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 219-225, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:161899. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.