Locational determinants of the US direct foreign investment in food and kindred products
This article investigates locational determinants of US direct foreign investment (DFI) in food and kindred products by using data from six industrialized countries from 1983 to 1989. Separate equations were fitted to explain DFI position, outflow, and reinvestment. Cultural linkages, trading blocs, host market size, tax considerations, exchange differentials, and host market growth rates are found to be significant determinants of DFI in food manufacturing. Wage rate differentials were found to be important in the position and reinvested equations, but not in the outflow equation. Thus, cheap labor may not be as important in attracting DFI as in the past. © 1995 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 11 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Raymond Vernon, 1966. "International Investment and International Trade in the Product Cycle," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(2), pages 190-207.
- Reed, Michael R. & Marchant, Mary A., 1992. "The Global Competitiveness Of The U.S. Food-Processing Industry," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 21(1), April.
- Tsai, Pan-Long, 1991. "Determinants of foreign direct investment in Taiwan: An alternative approach with time-series data," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 275-285.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:77-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.