Determinants of US direct foreign investment in the Caribbean
This study evaluates two groups of variables (economic and structural/locational) associated with US short- and long-run direct foreign investment (DFI) in the Caribbean over the 1983-1994 period. Separate generalized least square models for the Caribbean and Latin America were estimated to determine whether differences existed between the two regions as to the variables associated with the levels of DFI. This helped provide insights as to the strategies that should be maintained or introduced to give the Caribbean a competitive edge in attracting the limited amounts of US DFI likely to be available for investment in the Western hemisphere.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schneider, Friedrich & Frey, Bruno S., 1985. "Economic and political determinants of foreign direct investment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 161-175, February.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Pooran Lall & Allen Featherstone & David Norman, 2000. "Productive efficiency and growth policies for the Caribbean," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(11), pages 1483-1493.
- James Tobin, 1956. "Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 14, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1980.
"The Location of Overseas Production and Production for Export by U.S. Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
0482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kravis, Irving B. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1982. "The location of overseas production and production for export by U.S. multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Yulin Ning & Michael R. Reed, 1995. "Locational determinants of the US direct foreign investment in food and kindred products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 77-85.
- Arrow, Kenneth J, 1974. "Limited Knowledge and Economic Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Jeffrey J. Schott, 1994. "Western Hemisphere Economic Integration," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 75.
- Coase, R H, 1988. "The Nature of the Firm: Meaning," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 19-32, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:13:p:1485-1496. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.