Offshoring, Multinationals And Labour Market: A Review Of The Empirical Literature
AbstractThis paper reviews the empirical literature on the effects of offshoring and foreign activities of multinational enterprises on developed countries' labour markets. Results suggest that material offshoring worsens wage inequality between skilled and unskilled workers; it also seems to make employment more volatile, by raising the elasticity of labour demand and the risk of job losses. Service offshoring exerts at most small negative effects on total employment, and changes the composition of the workforce in favour of high-skilled white-collar employees. Multinationals tend to substitute domestic and foreign labour in response to changes in relative wages across countries; substitutability is weak, however, and mainly driven by horizontal, market-seeking foreign direct investments. Copyright � 2008 The Author. Journal compilation � 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economic Surveys.
Volume (Year): 23 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-0804
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Crinò, Rosario, 2010.
"Employment effects of service offshoring: Evidence from matched firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 253-256, May.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009. "Employment Effects of Service Offshoring: Evidence from Matched Firms," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 800.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Rosario Crinò, 2009. "Employment Effects of Service Offshoring: Evidence from Matched Firms," Working Papers 417, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009. "Employment Effects of Service Offshoring: Evidence from Matched Firms," Development Working Papers 286, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Rosario Crinò, 2010.
"Service Offshoring and the Skill Composition of Labor Demand,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
802.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Rosario Crinò, 2012. "Service Offshoring and the Skill Composition of Labour Demand," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(1), pages 20-57, 02.
- Silvia Rocha‐Akis & Ronnie Schöb, 2011.
"Welfare Policy in the Presence of Unionised Labour and Internationally Mobile Firms,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(1), pages 93-119, 03.
- Silvia Rocha-Akis & Ronnie Schöb, 2010. "Welfare Policy in the Presence of Unionised Labour and Internationally Mobile Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 3032, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rocha-Akis, Silvia & Schöb, Ronnie, 2009. "Welfare policy in the presence of unionised labour and internationally mobile firms," Discussion Papers 2009/14, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"Offshoring and firm performance: Self-selection, effects on performance, or both?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
153, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "Offshoring and firm performance: self-selection, effects on performance, or both?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 147(2), pages 217-247, June.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Offshoring and Firm Performance: Self-Selection, Effects on Performance, or Both?," IZA Discussion Papers 4605, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hess, Sebastian, 2011. "Outsourcing Decisions Of Pig Producers In Baden-Württemberg," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114509, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Hess, Sebastian, 2011. "Outsourcing, Regional Trade and Specialization: An Application to in the German Pig Sector," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114537, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.