Does offshoring reduce industry employment?
AbstractThis paper looks at the implications of offshoring for industry employment whilst explicitly accounting for the scale and technology effects of offshoring. The effects of offshoring on employment are analysed using industry-level data for 17 high income OECD countries. Our findings indicate that offshoring has no effect or a slight positive effect on sectoral employment. Offshoring within the same industry (“intra-industry offshoring”) reduces the labour-intensity of production, but does not affect overall industry employment. Inter-industry offshoring does not affect labour-intensity, but may have a positive effect on overall industry employment. These findings suggest that the productivity gains from offshoring are sufficiently large that the jobs created by higher sales completely offset the jobs lost by relocating certain production stages to foreign production sites.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Nottingham, GEP in its series Discussion Papers with number 07/24.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
international outsourcing; labour demand;
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mitra, Arup, 2013. "Can industry be the key to pro-poor growth? : An exploratory analysis for India," ILO Working Papers 484346, International Labour Organization.
- Ronald Bachmann & Sebastian Braun, 2008.
"The Impact of International Outsourcing on Labour Market Dynamics in Germany,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2008-020, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ronald Bachmann & Sebastian Braun, 2011. "The Impact Of International Outsourcing On Labour Market Dynamics In Germany," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 58(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Ronald Bachmann & Sebastian Braun, 2008. "The Impact of International Outsourcing on Labour Market Dynamics in Germany," Ruhr Economic Papers 0053, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Rosario Crinò, 2010.
"Service Offshoring and the Skill Composition of Labor Demand,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
802.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Rosario Crinò, 2012. "Service Offshoring and the Skill Composition of Labour Demand," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(1), pages 20-57, 02.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Meland, Frode & Straume, Odd Rune, 2009.
"Can deunionization lead to international outsourcing?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 109-119, February.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Meland, Frode & Straume, Odd Rune, 2006. "Can deunionization lead to international outsourcing?," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2006-23, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Frode Meland & Odd Rune Straume, 2005. "Can Deunionization Lead to International Outsourcing?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1545, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Meland, Frode & Straume, Odd Rune, 2008. "Can Deunionization Lead to International Outsourcing?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Meland, Frode & Straume, Odd Rune, 2005. "Can deunionization lead to international outsourcing?," Working Papers in Economics 15/05, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Anna M. Falzoni & Lucia Tajoli, 2008. "Offshoring and the skill composition of employment in the Italian manufacturing industries," KITeS Working Papers 219, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2008.
- Neil Foster, 2012. "Offshoring and Labour Markets," FIW Specials series 003, FIW.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Swaim, Paul, 2010.
"Offshoring, labour market institutions and the elasticity of labour demand,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 1016-1034, November.
- Alexander Hijzen & Paul Swaim, . "Offshoring, Labour Market Institutions and the Elasticity of Labour Demand," Discussion Papers 08/05, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Nana Bourtchouladze, 2007. "Offshoring and Heterogeneous Firms: One Job Offshored, One Job Lost?," IHEID Working Papers 28-2007, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Dec 2007.
- Deschryvere, Matthias & Kotiranta, Annu, 2008. "Domestic Employment Effects of Offshoring: Empirical Evidence from Finland," Discussion Papers 1166, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Parteka, Aleksandra & Wolszczak-Derlacz, Joanna, 2013. "Integrated Sectors - Diversified Earnings: The (Missing) Impact of Offshoring on Wages and Wage Convergence in the EU27," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt3tm2935j, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Aleksandra Parteka, 2009. "The EU enlargement and domestic employment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2202-2217.
- Neil Foster-McGregor & Mario Holzner & Michael Landesmann & Johannes Pöschl & Robert Stehrer & Roman Stöllinger, 2013. "A ‘Manufacturing Imperative’ in the EU – Europe's Position in Global Manufacturing and the Role of Industrial Policy," wiiw Research Reports 391, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.