Does offshoring of materials and business services affect employment? Evidence from a small open economy
AbstractThe fear of massive job losses has prompted a fast-growing literature on offshoring and its impact on employment in advanced economies. This article examines the situation for Belgium. It improves the offshoring intensity measure by computing a volume measure of the share of imported intermediates in output, and it is among the first to address both materials and business services offshoring to high wage and low wage countries. Estimations of static and dynamic industry-level labour demand equations augmented by offshoring intensities do not reveal a significant impact of either materials or business services offshoring on total employment for Belgium between 1995 and 2003. This result holds for both the manufacturing sector and the service sector and it proves robust to splitting the manufacturing sector into high technology and low technology industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Bernhard Michel & François Rycx, 2009. "Does Offshoring of Materials and Business Services Affect Employment? Evidence from a Small Open Economy," Working Papers CEB 09-018.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel, Bernhard & Rycx, Francois, 2009. "Does Offshoring of Materials and Business Services Affect Employment? Evidence from a Small Open Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 4164, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernhard Michel & François Rycx, 2009. "Does Offshoring of Materials and Business Services Affect Employment? Evidence from a Small Open Economy," DULBEA Working Papers 09-10.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-45, May.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2004.
"International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
437, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2005. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 860-878, October.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Hine, Robert C., 2004. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," IZA Discussion Papers 1249, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006.
"The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing,"
NBER Working Papers
12398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory Mankiw, N. & Swagel, Phillip, 2006. "The politics and economics of offshore outsourcing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 1027-1056, July.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006. "The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2120, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M, 2002. " Outsourcing, Imports and Labour Demand," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 567-86, December.
- Amiti, Mary & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "Service Offshoring, Productivity and Employment: Evidence from the US," CEPR Discussion Papers 5475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2005.
"The Effect of Offshoring on Labor Demand: Evidence from Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
654, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2006. "The Effect of Offshoring on Labour Demand: Evidence from Sweden," CEPR Discussion Papers 5648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cadarso, Maria Angeles & Gomez, Nuria & Lopez, Luis Antonio & Tobarra, Maria Angeles, 2008. "The EU enlargement and the impact of outsourcing on industrial employment in Spain, 1993-2003," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 95-108, March.
- Vanessa Strauss-Kahn, 2003.
"The Role of Globalization in the Within-Industry Shift Away from Unskilled Workers in France,"
NBER Working Papers
9716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vanessa Strauss-Kahn, 2004. "The Role of Globalization in the Within-Industry Shift Away from Unskilled Workers in France," NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 209-234 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Arvind Panagariya & T. N. Srinivasan, 2004.
"The Muddles over Outsourcing,"
- Arndt, Sven W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk (ed.), 2001. "Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199243310, September.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1999. "The Impact Of Outsourcing And High-Technology Capital On Wages: Estimates For The United States, 1979-1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 907-940, August.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005.
"Fear of service outsourcing: is it justified?,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 308-347, 04.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 2004. "Where Ricardo and Mill Rebut and Confirm Arguments of Mainstream Economists Supporting Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 135-146, Summer.
- Falk, Martin & Wolfmayr, Yvonne, 2008. "Services and materials outsourcing to low-wage countries and employment: Empirical evidence from EU countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 38-52, March.
- Alexander Hijzen, 2005. "A Bird’s Eye View of International Outsourcing: Data, Measurement and Labour Demand Effects," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 104, pages 45-63.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2004. "Aspects of International Fragmentation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 793-816, November.
- Michel Dumont, 2006. "Foreign outsourcing, labour demand and the choice of functional form," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 255-273, November.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2000. "Outsourcing and skill-specific employment in a small economy: Austria and the fall of the Iron Curtain," Economics working papers 2000-24, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Dumont, Michel & Rayp, Glenn & Willemé, Peter, 2012. "The bargaining position of low-skilled and high-skilled workers in a globalising world," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 312-319.
- Fuster García, Begoña & Martínez Mora, Carmen, 2013. "Offshoring of Services in Spain: International Fragmentation of Activities or Change in Procurement Sources?/Offshoring de Servicios en España: ¿Fragmentación internacional de actividades o cambio ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 655-676, Septiembr.
- da Silveira, Giovani J.C., 2014. "An empirical analysis of manufacturing competitive factors and offshoring," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 163-173.
- João Amador & Sónia Cabral, 2014. "Global Value Chains: Surveying Drivers, Measures and Impacts," Working Papers w201403, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.