Volunteer opportunities at RePEcVolunteering with RePEc is an excellent opportunity to serve the profession and, for faculty, to fulfill the public service component of your position. RePEc is entirely volunteer based and we rely on the help of many to provide a free service to everyone. This is your chance to be part of this undertaking!
Here is a list of possible opportunities to volunteer:
- RePEc Archive Maintainer
- This is the most common volunteer work. As an archive maintainer, you make sure that the publications of your institution are listed in RePEc. Instructions are available.
- Technical consultant for new archives
- New archive maintainers follow the instructions, but sometimes face various difficulties. We are looking for someone(s) who could help them through that process. We are especially interested in somebody familiar with Windows and its various tools, as most of the current team works on other platforms. We are also looking for multilingual support. A team has now been assembled, but new volunteers on this team are always welcome.
- NEP Report Editor
- NEP Reports disseminate every week new online working papers in over 80 fields. Editors get a listing of all new papers and decide which ones should be featured in their report. We estimate the time an editor spends on a report is less than a hour every week. Tools based on artificial intelligence are being developed to cut this time down.
Editors for the following fields are currently being sought:
- No other editorship vacancies at this point: suggest a new field!
- Editor for the Munich Personal RePEc Archive
- The Munich Personal RePEc Archive allows authors whose institution does not yet participate in RePEc to upload papers and have them listed on RePEc. A team of editors helps making sure that uploaded documents are legitimate. New members to this team are welcome, in particular for languages that are not yet covered and for English. To volunteer, contact Ekkehart Schlicht.
- Metadata quality analyst for the Munich Personal RePEc Archive
- MPRA accepts uploads from anybody, which means there is variation in the quality of the data users input in the forms. We are seeking several individuals who would check on the quality of this data and make amends if necessary. To volunteer, contact Ekkehart Schlicht.
- Help with EDIRC
- EDIRC is a database that provides links to Economics departments, instutites, think tanks and relevant governmental institutions, as well as societies. This data is in particular used for affiliations in the RePEc Author Service and for rankings. This database has grown tremendously, and help is needed to maintain it. You can help fixing bad links or add new links. If you want to help with a particular country, contact Christian Zimmermann. Help is particularly needed for Russia, China, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan. Email also with any correction to the database you may have.
- Help with the RePEc Author Service
- RePEc Author Service enables authors to create online profiles linking to their works in RePEc. It also helps in identifying citations. Help is sought in monitoring the activity on the service and managing the profiles of deceased authors.
- Member of RePEc Plagiarism Committee<
- The RePEc Plagiarism Committee is looking for individuals with integrity to handle and vote on potential plagiarism cases.
- Specific projects
- General help with RePEc
- There are always various programming tasks that need tending. Also, users have questions, need help or otherwise require attention. For this, we draw on a pool of core volunteers that is always glad to find someone new for help. The basic requirements are: familiarity with programming, knowlegde of Unix/Linux, HTML, perl or mySQL are a plus.
- Spread the word about RePEc
- Encourage more people to use RePEc, more authors to register and more institutions to participate.
- Contribute hardware or hosting services
- As our databases grow and our services expand, our computing needs expand as well. If you have a spare machine, slot, component (memory, hard drive, UPS), they could be used! Also, we are always looking for some hosting.