Sectoral adjustment of employment to shifts in outsourcing and trade: evidence from a dynamic fixed effects multinomial logit model
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effects of trade and outsourcing on the transition probabilities of employment between sectors, using a dynamic multinomial logit framework with fixed effects. The data cover a sample of individual Austrian male workers over the period 1988-2001. Our results strongly support the view that international economic forces are important determinants of labor market turnover. In particular, an increase in the outsourcing intensity negatively affects the probability of staying in or changing into the manufacturing sector, even more so for industries with a comparative disadvantage. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Hofer, Helmut & Huber, Peter, 2001.
"Wage and Mobility Effects of Trade and Migration on the Austrian Labour Market,"
97, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Helmut Hofer & Peter Huber, 2003. "Wage and Mobility Effects of Trade and Migration on the Austrian Labour Market," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 107-125, June.
- Kohler, Wilhelm, 2001. "A specific-factors view on outsourcing," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 31-53, March.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998.
"Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the US Dollar,"
NBER Working Papers
6749, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "Employment Versus Wage Adjustment And The U.S. Dollar," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 477-489, August.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1999. "Employment versus Wage Adjustment and the U.S. Dollar," Working Papers 99-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1998. "Employment versus wage adjustment and the U.S. dollar," Staff Reports 56, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Joseph Tracy & Linda Goldberg & Stephanie Aaronson, 1999. "Exchange Rates and Employment Instability: Evidence from Matched CPS Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 204-210, May.
- Aiginger, Karl & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 1995. "East European Trade and the Austrian Labour Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 1168, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stahl, Florian & Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labour Market: The Case of Austria,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alfred Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef ZweimÃ¼ller, 2003. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 127-148, June.
- Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Stahl, Florian & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," IZA Discussion Papers 546, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alfred Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," Working Papers 78, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Alfred M Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweim�ller, 2002. "Job creation and job destruction in a regulated labor market: The case of Austria," Economics working papers 2002-05, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Boeri, Tito & Cramer, Ulrich, 1992. "Employment growth, incumbents and entrants : Evidence from Germany," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 545-565, December.
- Egger, Hartmut & Falkinger, Josef, 2003. "The distributional effects of international outsourcing in a 2 x 2 production model," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 189-206, August.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter, 2001. "Cross-border sourcing and outward processing in EU manufacturing," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 243-256, November.
- Gene M. Grossman, 1986.
"Imports as a Cause of Injury: The Case of the U.S. Steel Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M., 1986. "Imports as a cause of injury: The case of the U.S. steel industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Vivarelli, Marco & Evangelista, Rinaldo & Pianta, Mario, 1996. "Innovation and employment in Italian manufacturing industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1013-1026, October.
- Magnac, Thierry, 2000. "Subsidised Training and Youth Employment: Distinguishing Unobserved Heterogeneity from State Dependence in Labour Market Histories," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(466), pages 805-37, October.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.