Job Creation, Job Destruction, and International Competition
AbstractThe authors present a picture of how the effects of international trade on employment in U.S. manufacturing industries vary widely. They explore the labor-market dynamics and adjustment costs associated with international factors, particularly the way fluctuations in exchange rates, overseas economic activity, and the altering of trade restrictions contribute to churning-the simultaneous job creation among some firms and job destruction among others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research in its series Books from Upjohn Press with number jcjd and published in 2003.
ISBN: cloth 9780880992725 paper 9780880992718
Note: PDF is the book's first chapter.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 300 S. Westnedge Ave. Kalamazoo, MI 49007 USA
Web page: http://www.upjohn.org
More information through EDIRC
job creation; job destruction; trade; international trade; international competition; exchange rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Italo Colantone, 2012. "Trade openness, real exchange rates and job reallocation: evidence from Belgium," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(4), pages 669-706, December.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter & Kreickemeier, Udo, 2013.
"Trade, wages, and profits,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 332-350.
- Udo Kreickemeier & Peter Egger & Hartmut Egger, 2012. "Trade, Wages, and Profits," 2012 Meeting Papers 188, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger & Udo Kreickemeier, 2012. "Trade, Wages, and Profits," CESifo Working Paper Series 3911, CESifo Group Munich.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter & Kreickemeier, Udo, 2011. "Trade, Wages, and Profits," CEPR Discussion Papers 8727, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Egger, Hartmut & Egger, Peter & Kreickemeier, Udo, 2011. "Trade, wages, and profits," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 23, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Luca MARCHIORI & Olivier PIERRARD & Henri R. SNEESSENS, 2011.
"Demography, capital flows and unemployment,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2011040, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Marchiori, Luca & Pierrard, Olivier & Sneessens, Henri R., 2011. "Demography, Capital Flows and Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 6094, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Augusto Ruperez Micola & Francisco Penaranda, 2011. "On the divers of commodity co-movement: Evidence from biofuels," CREA Discussion Paper Series 11-14, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Luca Marchiori & Olivier Pierrard & Henri R. Sneessens, 2011. "Demography, capital flows and unemployment," BCL working papers 69, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Edgar Trujillo C. & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"El Proteccionismo No Arancelario Y La Coyuntura Económica: El Caso Colombiano Reciente (1990-2005),"
Borradores de Economia
399, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Edgar Trujillo C. & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2006. "El Proteccionismo No Arancelario Y La Coyuntura Económica: El Caso Colombiano Reciente (1990-2005)," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002541, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael & Weber, Andrea, 2003.
"Sectoral Adjustment of Employment: The Impact of Outsourcing and Trade at the Micro Level,"
145, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael & Weber, Andrea, 2003. "Sectoral Adjustment of Employment: The Impact of Outsourcing and Trade at the Micro Level," IZA Discussion Papers 921, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mark Gius, 2006. "Using Panel Data to Estimate the Effect of the North American Free Trade Agreement on Employment and Wages at the State Level," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 37(1), pages 20-31.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.