1994, Volume 37, Issue 5
- 42-50 The myth of the forever leader: Organizational recovery from broken leadership
by Farquhar, Katherine
- 51-55 Flextime: Myth or reality?
by Kush, Karen S. & Stroh, Linda K.
- 56-63 Measuring global practices: Global strategic planning through company situational analysis
by Lussier, Robert N. & Baeder, Robert W. & Corman, Joel
- 64-69 The six shopping worlds of baby boomers
by Swinyard, William R. & Rinne, Heikki J.
- 70-75 Evaluating the performance of venture capital investments
by Schilit, W. Keith
- 76-81 Focusing the factory: Eight lessons
by Schroeder, Roger G. & Pesch, Michael J.
1994, Volume 37, Issue 4
- 1-4 The disconnect between scientists and corporations
by Gaines, Harry
- 5-10 Strategic alliances and joint ventures: Making them work
by Walters, Bruce A. & Peters, Steve & Dess, Gregory G.
- 11-18 Lessons learned from selfmanaged work teams
by Yeatts, Dale E. & Hipskind, Martha & Barnes, Debra
- 19-28 Reforming the traditional organization: The mandate for developing networks
by Cravens, David W. & Shipp, Shannon H. & Cravens, Karen S.
- 29-39 The myth of full disclosure: A look at organizational communications during crises
by Kaufmann, Jeffrey B. & Kesner, Idalene F. & Hazen, Thomas Lee
- 40-42 Overcoming the BOHICA effect
by Dunsing, Dick & Matejka, Ken
- 43-46 The power of flexibility
by Denton, D. Keith
- 47-50 Focus: Value
by Escover, John L.
- 51-54 Whose empire is this, anyway? Reflections on the empire state of multinational corporations
by Chan, Chi-fai & Holbert, Neil B.
- 55-60 MBA programs and business needs: Is there a mismatch?
by Elliott, Clifford J. & Goodwin, Jack S. & Goodwin, James C.
- 61-67 Business faculty perspectives on ethics: A national survey
by Rozenshe, Susan G. & Fergenson, P. Everett
- 68-73 A marketer's guide to Clausewitz: Lessons for winning market share
by Parks, Bill & Pharr, Steven W. & Lockeman, Bradley D.
- 74-79 Quality lessons from America's Baldrige winners
by Hodgetts, Richard M.
- 80-87 "Slash and burn" doesn't kill weeds: Other ways to downsize the manufacturing organization
by Schmenner, Roger & Lackey, Charles
1994, Volume 37, Issue 3
- 1-26 Summing up
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 27-31 Career strategies for the 1990s manager
by McCanna, Walter F. & Pearse, Robert F. & Zrebiec, Donald A.
- 32-39 The making of multimillion-dollar executives
by Patton, Arch
- 40-43 A dozen enduring myths about management
by Smolowitz, Ira E.
- 44-51 Espoused action: It's a matter of consistency
by Raelin, Joseph A.
- 52-60 ISO9000: The new strategic consideration
by Hayes, H. Michael
- 61-68 The case against job satisfaction
by Bassett, Glenn
- 69-70 Successful promotions and the bucket of ashes
by Meyer, Peter
- 71-79 The management termination trap
by Longenecker, Clinton O. & Pos, Frederick R.
- 87-88 Focus on books
by Tomasko, Robert M.
1994, Volume 37, Issue 2
- 1-6 The anti-capitalist mentality of Clintonomics
by Reiland, Ralph R. & McCarthy, Sarah J.
- 7-15 Is Saturn competitive?
by Rehder, Robert R.
- 16-21 Moving mountains to market: Reflections on restructuring the Russian economy
by Clark, Terry
- 22-28 Market orientation, customer value, and superior performance
by Slater, Stanley F. & Narver, John C.
- 29-41 Why empowerment doesn't empower: The bankruptcy of current paradigms
by Belasco, James A. & Stayer, Ralph C.
- 42-48 Sun Tzu's strategic thinking and contemporary business
by Chen, Min
- 49-57 How to increase employee loyalty while you downsize
by Emshoff, James R.
- 58-60 Karoshi: Alternative perspectives of Japanese management styles
by Brown, William S. & Lubove, Rebecca E. & Kwalwasser, James
- 61-67 The electrovisual manager: Media and American corporate management
by Marlow, Eugene
- 68-74 The high cost of motoring in Singapore
by Toh, Rex S.
- 75-79 Ergonomic improvements in the office environment
by Franchi, Kathy & Fleck, Robert Jr.
- 80-85 Creativity and play: A systematic approach to managing innovation
by Andersen, Joseph V.
- 86-89 New member of the family?
by Foegen, J. H.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 6
- 1-4 Organizational survival means embracing change
by Harvey Hegarty, W.
- 5-10 Global strategic management in a new world order
by Halal, William E.
- 11-15 Preparing for the hybrid economy: The new world of public-private partnerships
by Sternberg, Ernest
- 16-22 Future problem solving in the year 2000--Challenges and opportunities for business
by Alvino, James
- 23-29 Global telecommunications and export of services: The promise and the risk
by Coates, Vary T. & La Porte, Todd M. & Young, Mark G.
- 30-34 The nature of work in the twenty-first century: Certain uncertainties
by Shostak, Arthur B.
- 35-43 Franchising into the twenty-first century
by Hoffman, Richard C. & Preble, John F.
- 44-49 The post-information age: New horizons for business and education
by Glenn, Jerome C.
- 50-54 Interface design issues in the future of business training
by Boling, Elizabeth & Sousa, Gerald A.
- 55-63 Congress and the year 2000: Peering into the demographic future
by Morrison, Peter A.
- 64-69 The American labor movement in the year 2000
by Craver, Charles B.
- 70-74 The future of urban environments: Implications for the business community
by Gappert, Gary
1993, Volume 36, Issue 5
- 1-2 Bridging the chasm
by Cole, Robert W.
- 3-8 Schooling, business, and the new American dream
by Schlechty, Phillip C.
- 9-12 Old lies, new truths: Demographic realities and economic consequences facing America
by Crouch, Ronald T.
- 13-23 Accountability, testing, and schools: Toward local responsibility and away from change by mandate
by Wiggins, Grant
- 24-28 Business partnerships with families
by Rich, Dorothy
- 29-32 Sowing the seeds of change: The role of business in education
by Becker, Charles E.
- 33-38 Dreaming of the show: Rating major-league high schools
by Nolte, Bob
- 39-48 The spider's web: Influences on school performance
by Waddock, Sandra A.
- 49-51 A day care consortium in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
by Ecker, Tom
- 52-56 Kids are everybody's business in Hammond, Indiana
by Knarr, Thomas C. & Knarr, Kay Dell
- 57-59 Partners at Lake Washington
by Barnes, Ron & Bates, Karen
- 60-63 Real world partnerships in Tupelo, Mississippi
by Daniels, Bruce
- 64-69 Open communication
by Keith Denton, D.
- 70-78 Team building: Answering the tough questions
by Stoner, Charles R. & Hartman, Richard I.
- 79-84 Deming versus traditional management theorists on goal setting: Can both be right?
by Carson, Paula Phillips & Carson, Kerry D.
- 85-86 Focus on books
by Kearns, David T. & Nadler, David A.
- 86-87 Technology and work in Germany
by Altmann, Norbert & Meil, Pamela
- 88-89 The unbounded mind: Breaking the chains of traditional business thinking
by Mitroff, Ian I. & Linstone, Harold A.
- 89-90 The race without a finish line: America's quest for total quality
by Schmidt, Warren H. & Finnigan, Jerome P.
- 90-91 Reengineering the corporation: A manifesto for business revolution
by Hammer, Michael & Champy, James
1993, Volume 36, Issue 4
- 1-4 Behind the curve
by Keith Denton, D.
- 5-9 AIDS in the workplace: The pandemic firms want to ignore
by Knotts, Rose & Johnson, J. Lynn
- 10-15 Growth industries: Another look
by Starry, Claire & McGaughey, Nick
- 16-27 The emerging approach to business strategy: Building a relationship advantage
by Berling, Robert J.
- 28-33 Breakthroughs in corporate nurturing strategies
by Braun, David & Bertsch, Thomas
- 34-40 After the layoff: Closing the barn door before all the horses are gone
by Ford, Robert C. & Perrewe, Pamela L.
- 41-47 The isolation of upper management
by Richard Krachenberg, A. & Lyons, Thomas F. & Henke, John Jr.
- 48-53 A miss manners guide to doing business in Europe
by Hill, John S. & Dulek, Ronald E.
- 54-58 Managers' views on potential investment opportunities
by McCarthy, Mark & Pointer, Martha & Ricks, David & Rolfe, Robert
- 59-65 The provocative practice of price signaling: Collusion versus cooperation
by Miller, Larry L. & Schnaars, Steven P. & Vaccaro, Valerie L.
- 66-69 The ethics of sales: Finding an appropriate balance
by Clark, Ralph W. & Lattal, Alice Darnell
- 70-74 Politics at work: Sharpening the focus of political behavior in organizations
by Michele Kacmar, K. & Ferris, Gerald R.
- 75-78 What ever happened to supervisory training?
by Imberman, Woodruff
1993, Volume 36, Issue 3
- 1-3 We've had enough business ethics
by Wolfe, Art
- 4-10 The delta force approach to balancing long-run performance
by Ernst, Ricardo & Ross, Douglas N.
- 11-14 How to stop talking about, and begin progress toward, total quality management
by Mears, Peter
- 15-18 Quality confusion: Too many gurus, not enough disciples
by Chatterjee, Sangit & Yilmaz, Mustafa
- 19-29 Planning deming management for service organizations
by Rienzo, Thomas F.
- 30-39 The mandated benefit mirage
by McKenzie, Richard B.
- 40-46 "Buy american": economic concept or political slogan?
by Harvey, Michael G.
- 47-54 Forced withdrawal from a country market: Managing political risk
by Akhter, Syed H. & Choudhry, Yusuf A.
- 55-58 Rate of return- the poison apple?
by Parks, Bill
- 59-65 Key ingredients for successful implementation of just-in-time: a system for all business sizes
by Tucker, Marvin W. & Davis, David A.
- 66-68 A quick guide to total quality management
by Aggarwal, Sumer
- 69-78 Cross-Cultural Communication for Managers
by Munter, Mary
- 79-84 Entrepreneurial Spirit
by Keith Denton, D.
- 85-89 Theory and practice: Their roles, relationship, and limitations in advanced management education
by Raelin, Joseph A.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 2
- 1-5 The (R)evolution of the American woman
by Daily, Catherine M.
- 6-11 Cracks in the glass: The silent competence of women
by Dalton, Dan R. & Kesner, Idalene F.
- 12-16 Attitudes toward women as managers: Still the same
by Owen, Crystal L. & Todor, William D.
- 17-22 Managing conflict over the perceived progress of working women
by Kay Snavely, B.
- 23-29 Sex stereotyping in the workplace: A manager's guide
by Kelly, Eileen P. & Young, Amy Oakes & Clark, Lawrence S.
- 30-34 Benefiting from nonsexist language in the workplace
by Daily, Bill & Finch, Miriam
- 35-41 The wounded feminine: From organizational abuse to personal healing
by Lindsay, Cindy P. & Pasquali, Janis M.
- 42-51 Women mentoring women: Creating conditions for connection
by Parker, Victoria A. & Kram, Kathy E.
- 52-58 Harassment in the 1990s
by Dworkin, Terry Morehead
- 59-65 Female entrepreneurs: How far have they come?
by Holly Buttner, E.
- 66-70 Women on the move in family business
by Frishkoff, Patricia A. & Brown, Bonnie M.
- 71-81 Dangerous liaisons: The "feminine-in-management" meets "globalization"
by Calas, Marta B. & Smircich, Linda
- 82-86 American female expatriates and the civil rights act of 1991 : Balancing legal and business interests
by Feltes, Patricia & Robinson, Robert K. & Fink, Ross L.
- 87-88 The new GE: How Jack Welch revived an American institution
by Beam, Henry H.
1993, Volume 36, Issue 1
- 3-4 From the editor ..
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 5-9 The lesson from Europe
by Heerema, Douglas L.
- 10-15 Process expertise--A critical managing fundamental
by Altier, William J.
- 16-26 Executive behavior: Classical and existential
by Kelly, Joe
- 27-35 Crisis management lessons: When push shoved Nike
by Jackson, Janice E. & Schantz, William T.
- 36-40 Thinking and managing beyond the boundaries
by Quinn Spitzer, T. & Tregoe, Benjamin
- 41-46 Mind mapping: A tool for creative thinking
by Anderson, Joseph V.
- 47-53 America's global companies: A leadership profile
by Bassiry, G.R. & Hrair Dekmejian, R.
- 54-56 Communicating to a diverse Europe
by McLauchlin, James E.
- 57-64 Assessment of shifting global competitiveness: Patent applications and grants in four major trading countries
by Kotabe, Masaaki & Cox III, Eli P.
- 65-71 MBAs: A recruiter's-eye view
by Kane, Kimberly F.
- 72-76 The light at the end of the HRM tunnel: Window of opportunity or an oncoming train?
by McTier Anderson, L. & Fenton, James Jr.
- 77-79 Filling the gaps: Challenges for today and tomorrow
by Foegen, J.H.
- 80-81 198 pp.Alan Bryman, Charisma and Leadership in Organizations, Sage Publications (1992)
by Santora, Joseph C.
1992, Volume 35, Issue 6
- 3-7 The editor's chair Ethnicity in the service of motivation
by Hershey, Robert
- 8-18 Sayonara, uddevalla?
by Render, Robert R.
- 19-26 Volkswagen's American assembly plant: Fahrvergnugen was not enough
by Beaver, William
- 27-34 Japanese national culture as a basis for understanding Japanese business practices
by Ford, John B. & Honeycutt, Earl Jr.
- 35-43 Fitting socially in fortress Europe: Understanding, reaching, and impressing Europeans
by Boddewyn, Jean J.
- 44-52 What is customer-driven marketing?
by Naumann, Earl & Shannon, Patrick
- 53-57 Replacing the Founder: Exploding the myth of the entrepreneur's disease
by Rubenson, George C. & Gupta, Anil K.
- 58-63 Entrepreneurial renewal
by Osborne, Richard L.
- 64-71 Alcohol abuse in the workplace: A managerial dilemma
by Sell, Alan R. & Newman, Richard G.
- 72-76 The parable of the strategic scopes
by Gordon, Shelley S.
- 77-79 Boosting plant performance with gainsharing
by Imberman, Woodruff
- 80-81 Scuutiny on the bounty: Business rewards for crime tips
by Geis, Gilbert & Huston, Ted & Wells, Joseph
1992, Volume 35, Issue 5
- 3-12 Must we send congress packing?
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 13-19 Why fight the system? The non-choice facing beleaguered business faculties
by Dulek, Ronald E. & Fielden, John S.
- 20-24 The cultural literacy of graduate management students
by Vance, Richard P. & Saladin, Brooke A. & Prichard, Robert W. & Peacock, Peter R.
- 25-29 Urwick on the business academy
by Trinkaus, John
- 30-34 Ten easy ways to lose your customer's trust
by Naumann, Earl
- 35-42 Managing marginal new products
by Rangan, V. Kasturi & Lai, Rajiv & Maier, Ernie P.
- 43-46 Why rich brands get richer, and what to do about it
by Gelb, Betsy D.
- 47-54 Strategic thinking is hip, but does it make a difference?
by Thakur, Manab & Calingo, Luis Ma. R.
- 55-58 The great paradox: Responsibility without empowerment
by Werner, Manuel
- 59-66 Managing the challenges of trigger events: The mindsets governing adaptation to change
by Isabella, Lynn A.
- 67-69 Ten rules for a company in trouble
by Lurie, Geoffrey D.
- 70-74 Successful CEOs talk about decision making
by Barnard, Janet
- 75-76 Rethinking social policy, race, poverty, and the underclass : Christopher Jencks, Rethinking Social Policy, Race, Poverty, and the Underclass. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press. 1992, 275pp
by Ostrom, Vincent & Bentley, Arthur F.
- 76-77 International business and government: Issues and institutions : Jack H. Bebrman and Robert E. Grosse, International Business and Governments: Issues and Institutions. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1990. 434 pp
by Alston, Jon P.
1992, Volume 35, Issue 4
- 3-5 Operations in the American economy: Liability or asset
by Mabert, Vincent A.
- 6-14 Catching up with the times
by Hall, Robert W.
- 15-23 American manufacturing competitiveness: The view from Europe
by Collins, Robert S. & Fischer, William A. & McMichael, Dalton L.
- 24-28 So you want to lower costs?
by Schmenner, Roger W.
- 29-43 Competing through development capability in a manufacturing-based organization
by Wheelwright, Steven C. & Clark, Kim B.
- 44-51 Accelerating innovation
by Starr, Martin K.
- 52-57 Customer supplier integration: Why being an excellent customer counts
by Moody, Patricia E.
- 58-65 Global outsourcing: Have U.S. managers thrown the baby out with the bath water?
by Davis, Edward W.
- 66-72 Japanese plants in the U.S.: How good are they?
by Schroeder, Roger G. & Sakakibara, Sadao & James Flynn, E. & Flynn, Barbara B.
- 73-81 Success factors in manufacturing
by Roth, Aleda V. & Miller, Jeffrey G.
- 82-87 Continuous improvement strategies for service organizations
by Showalter, Michael J. & Mulholland, Judith A.
- 88-95 Service, please: The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
by Collier, David A.
- 96-101 Time-based competition: White-collar activities
by Blackburn, Joseph D.
1992, Volume 35, Issue 3
- 3-5 The editor's chair The "Dismal science" revisited
by Anderson, L. McTier
- 6-12 The changing face of organization development: Views of a manager-turned-academic
by Clement, Ronald W.
- 13-22 Rewiring the corporation
by Heyer, Steven J. & Van Lee, Reginald
- 23-27 Value-driven management
by Glnsburg, Lee & Miller, Neil
- 28-33 Symbiotic leadership: A creative partnership for managing organizational effectiveness
by Edwards, Mark R.
- 34-42 Mission statements: Importance, challenge, and recommendations for development
by Ireland, R. Duane & Hirc, Michael A.
- 43-51 Mining for niches
by Linneman, Robert E. & Stanton, John Jr.
- 52-59 Integrating the personnel and marketing functions: The challenge of the 1990s
by Glassman, Myron & McAfee, Bruce
- 60-65 Pre-hire assessment of the New work force: Finding wheat (and work ethic) among the chaff
by Whitaker Shimko, Barbara
- 66-70 Industrial safety: Who is responsible and who benefits?
by Peskin, Myran I. & McGraf, Francis J.
- 71-76 Step into my parlor: A survey of strategies and techniques for effective negotiation
by Anderson, Terry
- 77-80 Experts among us
by Griesser, John W.
1992, Volume 35, Issue 1
- 3-12 In search of gold and sanctuary in Tijuana
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 13-16 The Baltic republics: Renaissance now?
by Davidson, Lawrence S.
- 17-23 The globalization of venture capital
by Schilit, W. Keith
- 24-35 The icarus paradox: How exceptional companies bring about their own downfall
by Miller, Danny
- 36-43 Self-confidence and decisiveness: Prerequisites for effective management in the 1990s
by Ireland, R. Duane & Hitt, Michael A. & Williams, J. Clifton
- 44-46 Rambo doesn't work here anymore
by Knotts, Rose
- 47-54 Women in middle management: Their career development and aspirations
by Wentling, Rose Mary
- 55-61 The meaning of service in business
by Watson, Charles E.
- 62-67 Smoke-free environments: A critical review
by Bowers, Mollie H. & De Cenzo, David A. & Grazer, William F.
- 68-75 Getting payoff from investment in human resource management
by Baird, Lloyd & Meshoulam, Ilan
- 76-79 Minority ownership for key employees: Dividend or disaster?
by Osborne, Richard L.
- 80-83 A review of current biographies and business histories
by Odiorne, George S. & Odiorne, George S.
- 84-85 Economic reform in China: Problems and prospects : Edited by James A. Dorn and Wang Xi James A. Dorn and Wang Xi, eds., Economic Reform in China: Problems and Prospects. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1990. 374 pp
by Hartland-Thunberg, Penelope
- 85-86 The measurement of savings, investment, and wealth: Studies in income and wealth : Edited by Robert E. Lipsey and Helen Stone Tice Robert E. Lipsey and Helen Stone Tice, eds., The Measurement of Savings, Investment, and Wealth: Studies in Income and Wealth. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press, 1989. 861 pp
by Kendrick, John W.
- 86-87 Flying blind: The failure of airline deregulation : By Paul Stephen Dempsey Paul Stephen Dempsey, Flying Blind: The Failure of Airline Deregulation. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute, 1990. 89 pp
by Leahy, Arthur S.
- 87-87 The federal role in urban mass transportation : By George M. Smerk George M. Smerk, The Federal Role in Urban Mass Transportation. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 1991. 384 pp
by Cydahy, Brian J.
1991, Volume 34, Issue 6
- 3-6 The elusive concept of national competitiveness
by Daniels, John D.
- 7-13 Changing patterns of U.S. trade: 1985-1989
by Green, Robert T. & Larsen, Trina L.
- 14-22 Global corporate competition II: Is the large American firm an endangered species?
by Franko, Lawrence G.