1992, Volume 35, Issue 5
- 35-42 Managing marginal new products
by Rangan, V. Kasturi & Lai, Rajiv & Maier, Ernie P.
- 43-46 Why rich brands get richer, and what to do about it
by Gelb, Betsy D.
- 47-54 Strategic thinking is hip, but does it make a difference?
by Thakur, Manab & Calingo, Luis Ma. R.
- 55-58 The great paradox: Responsibility without empowerment
by Werner, Manuel
- 59-66 Managing the challenges of trigger events: The mindsets governing adaptation to change
by Isabella, Lynn A.
- 67-69 Ten rules for a company in trouble
by Lurie, Geoffrey D.
- 70-74 Successful CEOs talk about decision making
by Barnard, Janet
- 75-76 Rethinking social policy, race, poverty, and the underclass : Christopher Jencks, Rethinking Social Policy, Race, Poverty, and the Underclass. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press. 1992, 275pp
by Ostrom, Vincent & Bentley, Arthur F.
- 76-77 International business and government: Issues and institutions : Jack H. Bebrman and Robert E. Grosse, International Business and Governments: Issues and Institutions. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1990. 434 pp
by Alston, Jon P.
1992, Volume 35, Issue 4
- 3-5 Operations in the American economy: Liability or asset
by Mabert, Vincent A.
- 6-14 Catching up with the times
by Hall, Robert W.
- 15-23 American manufacturing competitiveness: The view from Europe
by Collins, Robert S. & Fischer, William A. & McMichael, Dalton L.
- 24-28 So you want to lower costs?
by Schmenner, Roger W.
- 29-43 Competing through development capability in a manufacturing-based organization
by Wheelwright, Steven C. & Clark, Kim B.
- 44-51 Accelerating innovation
by Starr, Martin K.
- 52-57 Customer supplier integration: Why being an excellent customer counts
by Moody, Patricia E.
- 58-65 Global outsourcing: Have U.S. managers thrown the baby out with the bath water?
by Davis, Edward W.
- 66-72 Japanese plants in the U.S.: How good are they?
by Schroeder, Roger G. & Sakakibara, Sadao & James Flynn, E. & Flynn, Barbara B.
- 73-81 Success factors in manufacturing
by Roth, Aleda V. & Miller, Jeffrey G.
- 82-87 Continuous improvement strategies for service organizations
by Showalter, Michael J. & Mulholland, Judith A.
- 88-95 Service, please: The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
by Collier, David A.
- 96-101 Time-based competition: White-collar activities
by Blackburn, Joseph D.
1992, Volume 35, Issue 3
- 3-5 The editor's chair The "Dismal science" revisited
by Anderson, L. McTier
- 6-12 The changing face of organization development: Views of a manager-turned-academic
by Clement, Ronald W.
- 13-22 Rewiring the corporation
by Heyer, Steven J. & Van Lee, Reginald
- 23-27 Value-driven management
by Glnsburg, Lee & Miller, Neil
- 28-33 Symbiotic leadership: A creative partnership for managing organizational effectiveness
by Edwards, Mark R.
- 34-42 Mission statements: Importance, challenge, and recommendations for development
by Ireland, R. Duane & Hirc, Michael A.
- 43-51 Mining for niches
by Linneman, Robert E. & Stanton, John Jr.
- 52-59 Integrating the personnel and marketing functions: The challenge of the 1990s
by Glassman, Myron & McAfee, Bruce
- 60-65 Pre-hire assessment of the New work force: Finding wheat (and work ethic) among the chaff
by Whitaker Shimko, Barbara
- 66-70 Industrial safety: Who is responsible and who benefits?
by Peskin, Myran I. & McGraf, Francis J.
- 71-76 Step into my parlor: A survey of strategies and techniques for effective negotiation
by Anderson, Terry
- 77-80 Experts among us
by Griesser, John W.
1992, Volume 35, Issue 1
- 3-12 In search of gold and sanctuary in Tijuana
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 13-16 The Baltic republics: Renaissance now?
by Davidson, Lawrence S.
- 17-23 The globalization of venture capital
by Schilit, W. Keith
- 24-35 The icarus paradox: How exceptional companies bring about their own downfall
by Miller, Danny
- 36-43 Self-confidence and decisiveness: Prerequisites for effective management in the 1990s
by Ireland, R. Duane & Hitt, Michael A. & Williams, J. Clifton
- 44-46 Rambo doesn't work here anymore
by Knotts, Rose
- 47-54 Women in middle management: Their career development and aspirations
by Wentling, Rose Mary
- 55-61 The meaning of service in business
by Watson, Charles E.
- 62-67 Smoke-free environments: A critical review
by Bowers, Mollie H. & De Cenzo, David A. & Grazer, William F.
- 68-75 Getting payoff from investment in human resource management
by Baird, Lloyd & Meshoulam, Ilan
- 76-79 Minority ownership for key employees: Dividend or disaster?
by Osborne, Richard L.
- 80-83 A review of current biographies and business histories
by Odiorne, George S. & Odiorne, George S.
- 84-85 Economic reform in China: Problems and prospects : Edited by James A. Dorn and Wang Xi James A. Dorn and Wang Xi, eds., Economic Reform in China: Problems and Prospects. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1990. 374 pp
by Hartland-Thunberg, Penelope
- 85-86 The measurement of savings, investment, and wealth: Studies in income and wealth : Edited by Robert E. Lipsey and Helen Stone Tice Robert E. Lipsey and Helen Stone Tice, eds., The Measurement of Savings, Investment, and Wealth: Studies in Income and Wealth. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press, 1989. 861 pp
by Kendrick, John W.
- 86-87 Flying blind: The failure of airline deregulation : By Paul Stephen Dempsey Paul Stephen Dempsey, Flying Blind: The Failure of Airline Deregulation. Washington, D.C.: Economic Policy Institute, 1990. 89 pp
by Leahy, Arthur S.
- 87-87 The federal role in urban mass transportation : By George M. Smerk George M. Smerk, The Federal Role in Urban Mass Transportation. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 1991. 384 pp
by Cydahy, Brian J.
1991, Volume 34, Issue 6
- 3-6 The elusive concept of national competitiveness
by Daniels, John D.
- 7-13 Changing patterns of U.S. trade: 1985-1989
by Green, Robert T. & Larsen, Trina L.
- 14-22 Global corporate competition II: Is the large American firm an endangered species?
by Franko, Lawrence G.
- 23-26 Competitiveness and the "global capital shortage"
by Reynolds, Alan
- 27-34 The competitiveness of U.S. industry: A view from the outside
by Moller, J. Orstrom
- 35-42 Expatriate and Saudi managers' perceptions of Japanese and U.S. competitiveness: A survey
by All, Abbas J. & Al-Aali, Abdulrahman
- 43-48 Strategies for U.S. competitiveness: A survey of business leaders
by Shetty, Y. K.
- 49-53 How well do foreign firms compete in the United States?
by Li, Jiatao & Guisinger, Stephen
- 54-58 Japanese/American management myths
by Matejka, Ken & Dunsing, Dick
- 59-67 Culture as the critical factor in implementing innovation
by Brannen, Mary Yoko
- 68-75 Technical workers and competitive advantage: What we can learn from the Germans
by Dowling, Michael J. & Albrecht, Karl-Otto
- 76-81 Europe 1992 and competitive strategies for North American firms
by Rugman, Alan M. & Verbeke, Alain
- 82-85 Are maquiladoras a menace to U.S. workers?
by deForest, Mariah E.
- 86-91 International information needs for U.S. competitiveness
by Czinkota, Michael R.
- 92-100 Internationalization of business and economics programs: Issues and perspectives
by Cavusgil, S. Tamer
1991, Volume 34, Issue 5
- 3-8 Lessons from down under
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 9-10 Is there strategy in America? A response to Nelson
by Leal, Ricardo P. C. & Volkema, Roger J.
- 11-12 Foreign assignments: Why the high failure rate?
by Gray, Andrew
- 13-20 Sex and decency issues in advertising: General and international dimensions
by Boddewyn, Jean J. & Kunz, Heidi
- 21-25 Retailing's dinosaurs: Department stores and supermarkets
by Rauch, Richard A.
- 26-27 How are you doing? Ask your clients
by Graulich, David
- 28-34 Core value statements: The corporate compass
by Osborne, Richard L.
- 35-38 Who gets fired under restructuring?
by Imberman, Woodruff
- 39-44 Corporate cultures: A color coding metaphor
by Brink, T. L.
- 45-49 What's wrong with these employees?
by Keith Denton, D.
- 50-54 Accepting the truth about equal employment opportunity: Introducing the EEO philosophy index
by B.P. Robert Stephen Silverman
- 55-58 Corporate education: A new parochialism
by Foegen, J. H.
- 59-63 The public's attitude toward capitalism: 1980-1989
by Peterson, Robert A. & Kozmetsky, George & Albaum, Gerald
- 64-67 Dealing successfully with hecklers and snipers
by Thomas, Susan G.
- 68-71 Nonprofit businesses in the 1990s: Models for success
by Dabbs, Gordon
1991, Volume 34, Issue 4
- 3-8 Are corporations inherently wicked?
by Dunn, Craig P.
- 9-18 Foundational considerations in the corporate social responsibility debate
by Klonoski, Richard J.
- 19-31 Corporate responsibility and the good society: From economics to ecology
by Buchholz, Rogene A.
- 32-38 Managing as if the earth mattered
by Post, James E.
- 39-48 The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders
by Carroll, Archie B.
- 49-55 Managerial responsibilities on the micro level
by Hosmer, LaRue Tone
- 56-65 New directions in corporate social responsibility
by Bowie, Norman
- 66-73 Toward improving corporate social performance
by Wood, Donna J.
- 74-78 The constituents of corporate responsibility: Separate, but not separable, interests?
by Dalton, Dan R. & Daily, Catherine M.
- 79-86 Searching for the common good: A process-oriented approach
by Mahon, John F. & McGowan, Richard A.
- 87-91 Business organizations and the sense of community
by Heerema, Douglas L. & Giannini, Robert
- 92-98 Corporate social responsibility: A critical approach
by Freeman, R. Edward & Liedtka, Jeanne
- 99-109 Managing with integrity: Social responsibilities of business as seen by America's CEOs
by Watson, Charles E.
1991, Volume 34, Issue 3
- 3-9 Fizzle 1992?
by Clark, Terry
- 10-15 The short-term orientation of American managers: Fact or fantasy?
by Bruce, Grady D. & Taylor, James W.
- 16-19 Top management relevance: The effect of key executive death on stock prices
by Chandy, P. R. & Garrison, Sharon
- 20-22 The phases of the chief executive's career
by Piercy, James E. & Forbes, J. Benjamin
- 23-31 Negative product safety news: Coverage, responses, and effects
by Weinberger, Marc G. & Romeo, Jean B. & Piracha, Azhar
- 32-38 The dual-drive concept of product innovation
by Crawford, C. Merle
- 39-50 Mature markets and revitalization strategies: An American fable
by Gordon, Geoffrey L. & Calantone, Roger J. & di Benedetto, C. Anthony
- 51-58 Consumer behavior: Yesterday, today, and tomorrow
by Zaichkowsky, Judith Lynne
- 59-66 Strategically positioning your way into the aging marketplace
by Schewe, Charles D.
- 67-71 Choosing health care coverage: Considerations of physician motivation
by Hoffman, Alan N. & Nurick, Aaron J.
- 72-76 Eldercare: Personal triumph! Professional downfall?
by Stead, Bette Ann
- 77-82 Strategic management of human resources: The American steel and wire company
by Oswald, Sharon & Scott, Clyde & Woerner, William
- 83-91 Reinventing the MBA the European way
by Muller, Helen J. & Porter, James L. & Rehder, Robert R.
1991, Volume 34, Issue 2
- 3-7 In search of light
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 8-12 Merit Myopia and business school faculty publications
by Fielden, John S. & Gibbons, Jean D.
- 13-17 Finding the international Niche: A "how to" for American small business
by Wolfe, Bonnie Heineman
- 18-26 Managerial barriers to U.S. exports
by Korth, Christopher M.
- 27-36 Executive behavior: Its facts, fictions, and paradigms
by Kelly, Joe & Bakr Ibrahim, A.
- 37-43 Management delegation myths and the paradox of task assignment
by Bushardt, Stephen C. & Duhon, David L. & Fowler, Aubrey Jr.
- 44-50 A manager's guide to executive support systems
by Watson, Hugh J. & Rainer, R. Jr.
- 51-55 In search of competence: Structured behavior interviews
by Van Clieaf, Mark S.
- 56-67 Using psychotherapy to deal with mental health problems in organizations
by Davis, Tim R. V.
- 68-73 The high cost of bureaucratic written communications
by Suchan, James & Colucci, Robert
- 74-78 A chink in marketing's armor: Strategy above tactics
by German, Myna & Donahue, Donald Jr. & Schnaars, Steven P.
- 79-81 Complaints as opportunities
by Plyrnire, Jerry
- 82-86 Efficiency does not equal productivity
by Nemeth, Laszlo I.
1991, Volume 34, Issue 1
- 3-5 The power of negative thinking
by Altier, William J.
- 6-8 The high cost of America's economic ignorance
by Lee, James A.
- 9-12 Corporate ethics should start in the boardroom
by Bavaria, Steven
- 13-19 Myopic management: The hollow strength of American competitiveness
by Onkvisit, Sak & Shaw, John J.
- 20-25 International communication: An executive primer
by Dulek, Ronald E. & Fielden, John S. & Hill, John S.
- 26-34 Succession planning for the 21st century: How well are we grooming our future business leaders?
by Oddou, Gary R. & Mendenhall, Mark E.
- 35-42 U S West: The architecture of corporate transformation
by Ottensmeyer, Edward J. & McGowan, Robert P.
- 43-47 Competitive intelligence: Insights from executives
by Gelb, Betsy D. & Saxton, Mary Jane & Zinkhan, George M. & Albers, Nancy D.
- 48-52 Six steps to distribution network design
by Magrath, Allan J. & Hardy, Kenneth G.
- 53-61 Market-driven strategies for competitive advantage
by Cravens, David W. & Shipp, Shannon H.
- 62-70 Surviving a deposition
by Mears, Peter
- 71-80 Bypassing in managerial communication
by Sullivan, Jerry & Kameda, Naoki & Nobu, Tatsuo
- 81-87 Managers: On the defensive
by Sussman, Lyle
1990, Volume 33, Issue 5
- 3-5 The editor's chair Cursing the darkness
by Metzger, Michael B.
- 6-12 Law, social change, and the legalization of management practice
by Metzger, Michael B.
- 13-20 Easing the pain of legal disputes: The evolution and future of reform
by Allison, John R.
- 21-27 The changing relationship between managers and their lawyers
by Samuelson, S. S.
- 28-39 Positive law as the ethic of our time
by Fisher, Bruce D.
- 40-46 The weaning of the green: Environmentalism comes of age in the 1990s
by Cross, Frank B.
- 47-52 Product liability reform: What happened to the crisis?
by Zollers, Frances E. & Cook, Ronald G.
- 53-60 Civil rights and affirmative action: Revolution or fine-tuning?
by Morehead, Jere W. & Shedd, Peter J.
- 61-65 Employee appraisals, discrimination cases, and objective evidence
by Shaw, Bill
- 66-79 Defamation in the business setting: Basics and practical perspectives
by Langvardt, Arlen W.
- 80-87 The continuing expansion of RICO in business litigation
by Maurer, Virginia G.
- 88-93 Reading the tea leaves: Future regulation of product-extrinsic advertising
by Reed, O. Lee
1990, Volume 33, Issue 4
- 3-9 The gospel according to Deming: Is it really new?
by Jack Duncan, W. & Van Matre, Joseph G.
- 10-14 Strategic discontinuities: When being good may not be enough
by Beam, Henry H.
- 15-23 Is there strategy in Brazil?
by Nelson, Reed E.
- 24-30 The second wave arrives: Japanese strategy in the U.S. auto parts market
by Newman, Richard G.
- 31-37 Telecommuting in America
by Goodrich, Jonathan N.
- 38-41 The trend toward the quarterly performance review
by Odiorne, George S.
- 42-44 The politics of employment: How to keep people from becoming a corporate liability
by Ritzky, Garry M.
- 45-46 The ability gap
by Foegen, J. H.
- 47-51 CEO turnover: Causes and interpretations
by Comte, Thomas E. & Mihal, William L.
- 52-57 The new language barrier: Closer to home than you think
by Massimilian, Richard D.
- 58-66 Transmitting signals to consumers for competitive advantage
by Bloom, Paul N. & Reve, Torger
- 67-77 Managing multiple channels
by Cespedes, Frank V. & Corey, E. Raymond
1990, Volume 33, Issue 3
- 3-6 An interview with Niccolo Machiavelli
by Parkhouse, Gerald C.
- 7-14 Family responsibilities and career progress: The good, the bad, and the ugly
by Stoner, Charles R. & Hartman, Richard I.
- 15-22 Pan-European manufacturing: The yellow brick road to 1992
by Collins, Robert S. & Schmenner, Roger W. & Whybark, D. Clay
- 23-29 Managing in China: Expatriate experiences and training recommendations
by Weiss, Joseph W. & Bloom, Stanley
- 30-36 Youth consumers: Growing pains
by Vandermerwe, Sandra
- 37-43 Can sales promotion go global?
by Kashani, Kamran & Quelch, John A.
- 44-54 Stage-gate systems: A new tool for managing new products
by Cooper, Robert G.
- 55-58 Planning for uncertain futures: Building commitment through scenario planning
by Werner, Manuel
- 59-63 The American corporate elite: A profile
by Bassiry, G. R. & Dekmejian, R. Hrair
- 64-71 Conquering the costs of complexity
by Gingrich, James A. & Metz, Horst J.
- 72-74 Managing the business risks of plant closings
by Carr, Steven D.
- 75-78 Management's stock ownership: Irrelevant?
by Chacko, Cherackal
- 79-81 The "secret" response to kidnapping
by Revzan, Henry A.
- 82-86 Randomized responses: A better way to obtain sensitive information
by Hosseini, Jamshid C. & Armacost, Robert L.
1990, Volume 33, Issue 2
- 3-5 Lessons from Singapore: A rejoinder
by Devan, Janamitra
- 6-9 More about the United States and some about Singapore
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 10-14 The corporate apology
by Wolfe, Art
- 15-22 Ethical codes are not enough
by Hyman, Michael R. & Skipper, Robert & Tansey, Richard
- 23-28 Let's not teach management as if it were a profession
by Raelin, Joseph A.
- 29-37 Academe and the goose that lays its golden egg
by Udell, Gerald G.
- 38-42 Look ma, no hands ... crash! Feedback for hands-on management
by Miller, Ernest C.
- 43-47 The crisis in the morgue
by Young, Scott T.
- 48-52 Strategic considerations of the EC 1992 plan for small exporters
by Samiee, Saeed
- 53-57 Motivating your international channel partners
by Rosenbloom, Bert
- 58-62 The 1988 tax bill: Ignorance is not bliss
by McKee, Tim C.
- 63-69 Midwest auto transplants: Japanese investment strategies and policies
by Newman, Richard G. & Rhee, K. Anthony
- 70-73 Should you assemble products before an order is received?
by Zinn, Walter
- 74-76 Is demotion a four-letter word?
by Kohl, John P. & Stephens, David B.
1990, Volume 33, Issue 1
- 3-13 The editor's chair Pax Americana
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 14-19 Setting the political agenda
by Carter, Byrum E.
- 20-25 Business-government relations in the 1990s
by Lesher, Richard
- 26-32 Government policies in the 1990s
by McKenzie, Richard B.
- 33-36 The effects of 1992 on European business
by Delachaux, Francois B.
- 37-43 Managing the mixed marriage
by Agthe, Klaus E.
- 44-49 U.S. exports in the 1990s
by Ernst, Maurice
- 50-61 Managing in the 1990s
by Steingraber, Fred G.
- 62-73 Portrait of a changing consumer
by Dychtwald, Ken & Gable, Greg
- 74-80 Human resources management in the 1990s
by Redwood, Anthony
- 81-86 Telecommunications in the 1990s
by Tobias, Randall L.
- 87-98 Japanese transplants: After the honeymoon
by Rehder, Robert R.
- 99-103 The auto business in the 1990s
by Poling, Harold A.
- 104-112 Fossils, nuclei, parsimony, and sunlight
by Heinz, Richard M.
- 113-117 Keeping our balance
by Popoff, Frank
- 118-126 Health resource allocation in the 1990s
by Mahler, D. Mark