1986, Volume 29, Issue 3
- 23-27 Musings II: Revisiting the New Yorker's business ethics cartoons
by Cullather, James L.
- 28-37 Linking corporate culture to strategic planning
by Deshpande, Rohit & Parasuraman, A.
- 38-43 What do professors do?
by Gordon, Paul J.
- 44-50 When marketing services, 4 Ps are not enough
by Magrath, A. J.
- 51-55 The male queue at the checkout counter
by Michman, Ronald D.
- 56-64 Measurements to cure management myopia
by Merchant, Kenneth A. & Bruns, William Jr.
- 65-73 Strategies in cash-flow management
by Chastain, Clark E. & Thomas, S. & Cianciolo, A.
- 74-77 The current ratio revisited
by Fleming, Mary M. K.
- 78-83 Confronting alcoholism through team evaluation
by Edwards, Mark R. & Ruth Sproull, J.
1986, Volume 29, Issue 2
- 2-2 Antitakeover tactics
by Custer, Stephen W.
- 3-3 Expecting Excellence
by Bass, James Jr.
- 4-9 Whistle-blowing: Individual morality in a corporate society
by Hauserman, Nancy R.
- 10-20 War in the marketplace
by Cohen, William A.
- 21-26 The strategic options of least-cost, differentiation, and niche
by Wright, Peter
- 27-36 When entering growth markets, are pioneers better than poachers?
by Schnaars, Steven P.
- 37-39 Class conflict at the Burr Hamilton Bank
by Gray, Andrew
- 40-45 The marketing of funeral services: Past, present, and future
by Schwartz, Martin L. & Jolson, Marvin A. & Lee, Ronald H.
- 46-51 Absentee workers back on the job: The case of GM
by Dilts, David A. & Deitsch, Clarence R.
- 52-55 Cultivating companies for long-term growth: The cubic case
by Seidenman, Paul & Spanovich, David J.
- 56-60 Resisting takeovers isn't always bad
by Jennings, Robert & Mazzeo, Michael
- 61-67 Your legal relationship to the CPA
by Hooper, Paul & Page, John & St-Phard, Elizabeth
- 68-72 "Something More"--The nature of transcendent management
by Litzinger, William D. & Schaefer, Thomas E.
- 73-79 What good are value analysis programs?
by Reuter, Vincent G.
- 80-82 Formal integrated long-range planning: Its impact on financial risk decisions
by Malik, Z. A. & Basu, S.
- 83-87 The best-selling game in town
by Michael, Stephen R.
- 3-3 Not so obscure
by Gray, Andrew
- 2-2 Chartered financial analysts
by Kittell, Cathryn E.
1986, Volume 29, Issue 1
- 2-9 Looking out for #1
by Miller, J. Irwin
- 10-14 On the public's perception of capitalism
by Peterson, Robert A. & Kozmetsky, George & Albaum, Gerald
- 15-19 The manager's open door and the communication climate
by Beck, Charles E. & Beck, Elizabeth A.
- 20-25 Unclear contract language and its effect on corporate culture
by Suchan, James & Scott, Clyde
- 26-30 Why managers can't disengage
by Strasser, Stephen & Sena, John
- 31-38 How do you say, "you're fired"?
by Fulmer, William E.
- 39-40 The consequentiality index: The key to marketing success
by Naimark, George M.
- 41-48 The chief marketing officer: A Mavervick Whose time has come
by Gilliatt, Neal & Cuming, Pamela
- 49-53 How top executives use their intuition to make important decisions
by Agor, Weston H.
- 54-61 Sustainable competitive advantage--What it is, what it isn't
by Coyne, Kevin P.
- 62-66 The trouble with divisional hurdle rates
by Thode, Stephen F.
- 67-74 The corporate theater of action
by Kelly, Joe
- 75-78 Mastering your professional reading
by Davidson, Jeffrey P.
1985, Volume 28, Issue 6
- 2-8 Hong Kong or Albania: Which trade strategy should the U.S. adopt?
by Farmer, Richard N.
- 9-14 Building industrial cooperation through Japanese strategies
by Heenan, David A.
- 15-22 Japan's success: Luck or skill?
by Near, Janet P. & Olshavsky, Richard W.
- 23-26 Lifetime employment in Japan: Exploding the myth
by Maher, Thomas E.
- 27-33 Guidelines for export market research
by Cavusgil, S. Tamer
- 34-38 Marketing your company's stock overseas
by Mulligan, M. Isabel
- 39-46 HMOs may be dangerous to your company wealth
by Greenfield, W. M
- 47-54 Are organizational vegetables growing where you work?
by Villere, Maurice F.
- 55-59 Is the cold war a marketing problem?
by Morris, Michael H.
- 60-64 Deterrence--A strategy that pays
by James, Barrie G.
- 65-71 Just how much should a financial statement really disclose?
by Kneer, Dan C. & Reckers, Philip M. & Reed, Wallace & Jennings, Marianne M.
- 72-78 Postponing retirement: Can government and organizations make it attractive?
by Rosen, Benson & Jerdee, Thomas H.
- 79-80 Remaining sexual bias: Unconscious or unconscionable?
by Foegen, J. H.
- 81-82 The money bazaars: Understanding the banking revolution around us : Martin Mayer New York: E.P. Dutton, Inc., 1984. 385 pp.$22.50
by Emir Morgan, George
- 82-84 German big business and the rise of Hitler : Henry Ashby Turner New York: Oxford University Press, 1985. 504 pp. $25
by Schweitzer, Arthur
1985, Volume 28, Issue 5
- 2-2 Comparable worth
by McEnrue, M. P.
- 3-7 Business and journalism: Bedfellows or mortal enemies?
by Siddons, Patrick
- 8-11 The two faces of creativity
by Matherly, Timothy A. & Goldsmith, Ronald E.
- 12-16 Start your acquisition program ten minutes from now
by Hamilton, George
- 17-25 Antitakeover tactics: Management 42, stockholders 0
by Kesner, Idalene F. & Dalton, Dan R.
- 26-27 An expectation of excellence
by Hill, George
- 28-37 What's wrong with plant-closing legislation and industrial policy
by Chrisman, James J. & Carroll, Archie B. & Gatewood, Elizabeth J.
- 38-42 Thinking of opening your own business? Be prepared!
by Kennedy, Carson R.
- 43-49 Joint sales promotion: An emerging marketing tool
by Varadarajan, P. Rajan
- 50-59 Improving salesforce productivity
by LaForge, Raymond W. & Cravens, David W. & Young, Clifford E.
- 60-64 ABC = auditing business communications
by Campbell, Mary Ellen & Hollmann, Robert W.
- 65-70 A systems approach to business intelligence
by Gilad, Benny & Gilad, Tamar
- 71-77 Decision support systems: Strategic management tools for the eighties
by Reimann, Bernard C.
- 78-79 University-industry research interactions : edited by Herbert I. Fusfeld and Carmela S. Haklisch Pergamon Press, 1984
by Meyer, E. Gerald
- 79-80 Civil rights: Rhetoric or reality? : by Thomas Sowell William Morrow, 1984
by Baye, Michael R.
- 80-81 Shaping an American institution: Robert E. Wood and Sears, Roebuck : by James C. Worthy University of Illinois Press, 1984
by Hawley, Ellis W.
- 81-81 Advertising, the uneasy persuasion: Its dubious impact on American Society : by Michael Schudson Basic Books, Inc., 1984
by Norton, Nancy P.
- 2-2 Forecasting laws
by Gray, Andrew
1985, Volume 28, Issue 4
- 2-8 Impassioned excellence
by Hartley, Joseph R.
- 9-14 The caveats in mentorship
by Myers, Donald W. & Humphreys, Neil J.
- 15-22 How unions view gainsharing
by Ross, Timothy L. & Hatcher, Larry L. & Adams, Dan B.
- 23-29 In defense of enlightened hardball management
by Muczyk, Jan P. & Hastings, Robert E.
- 30-34 Knowing the ropes: Organizational requirements for quality circles
by Smeltzer, Larry R. & Kedia, Ben L.
- 35-41 It doesn't need to be dull to be good: How to improve staff presentations
by Wiegand, Richard
- 42-47 Dangerous territory: The societal marketing concept revisited
by Gaski, John F.
- 48-53 Forecasting "laws" for management
by Flores, Benito E. & Whybark, D. Clay
- 54-62 Strategic planning: Fulfilling the promise
by Rosenberg, Larry J. & Schewe, Charles D.
- 63-67 Uncle Remus meets regulatory reform: The brier-patch phenomenon
by Worrell, Dan L. & Gray, Edmund R.
- 68-75 Cutbacks, layoffs, and other obscenities: Making human resource decisions
by Perry, Lee Tom
- 76-81 Eliminating the gender-based earning gap: Two alternatives
by Carlson, Barbara Mackey & McEnrue, Mary Pat
- 82-86 Evaluating comparable worth: Three perspectives
by Rynes, Sara & Rosen, Benson & Mahoney, Thomas A.
1985, Volume 28, Issue 3
- 2-9 An economist's last hurrah
by Bunke, Harvey C.
- 10-10 A note of appreciation
by Wentworth, Jack R.
- 11-20 Building a strong legal strategy
by Sturdivant, Frederick D. & Green, Charles H.
- 21-26 Beyond the corporation: Who represents business to the government and public?
by Useem, Michael
- 27-31 The control gap at the top
by Aggarwal, Sumer C. & Aggarwal, Vimla S.
- 32-40 Advertising regulation: Fiddling with the FTC while the world burns
by Boddewyn, J. J.
- 41-43 The fine art of dealing with CEOs
by Limpert, John Jr.
- 44-52 Quality counts in services, too
by Berry, Leonard L. & Zeithaml, Valarie A. & Parasuraman, A.
- 53-58 The case for merit bonuses
by Overstreet, James S.
- 59-68 Solving the double bind in performance appraisal: A saga of wolves, sloths, and eagles
by Edwards, Mark R. & Borman, Walter C. & Sproull, J. Ruth
- 69-73 Puzzles or problems? Cutting through the manager's dilemma
by Chimezie, A. B. & Osigweh, Yg.
- 74-80 How robotization affects people
by Hollon, Charles J. & Rogol, George N.
- 81-86 Careers, marriage, and children: Are women changing their minds?
by Banbury-Masland, Brooke & Brass, Daniel J.
1985, Volume 28, Issue 2
- 2-8 The editor's chair What's wrong with Latin America?
by Lombardi, John V.
- 9-16 The dogma of growth: A re-examination
by Funkhouser, G. Ray & R. Rothberg, Robert
- 17-21 The increasing risks and responsibilities of the bank director's role
by Knapp, Michael C.
- 22-29 At-home shopping: Will consumers let their computers do the walking?
by Moschis, George P. & Goldstucker, Jac L. & Stanley, Thomas J.
- 30-37 SERPs come of age
by Thurman, William Jr. & West, Richard R.
- 38-45 Making it happen: How to execute an acquisition
by Willensky, David R.
- 46-52 Searching for investments--the race is on, the runners should be wary
by Weigand, Robert E.
- 53-62 How companies use University-based executive development programs
by Schrader, Albert W.
- 63-80 Business facts for decision makers: Where to find them
by Milutinovich, Jugoslav S.
- 81-87 Folded, spindled, and mutilated: Economic analysis and U.S. v. IBM
by Fisher, Franklin M. & McGowan, John J. & Greenwood, Joen E.
1985, Volume 28, Issue 1
- 2-6 Business ethics, by the book
by Pastin, Mark
- 7-11 The right kind of business advocacy
by Fox, Karen F. A. & Calder, Bobby J.
- 12-19 Finding a way through the venture capital maze
by Bruno, Albert V. & Tyebjee, Tyzoon T. & Anderson, James C.
- 20-25 The mystique of the MBA degree
by Gannon, Martin J. & Arlow, Peter
- 26-34 The managerial clerk syndrome
by Larson, Richard W. & Fielden, John S.
- 35-38 Crisis communications: Planning for the unplanned
by Dilenschneider, R. L. & Hyde, Richard C.
- 39-41 Fringe benefits at the Burr Hamilton Bank
by Gray, Andrew
- 42-47 A new corporate weapon against terrorism
by Harvey, Michael
- 48-53 Executive compensation: Performance and patience
by Platt, Harlan D. & McCarthy, Daniel J.
- 54-58 Is the social drinker killing your company?
by Beeman, Don R.
- 59-63 Creating a corporate culture for the eighties
by Gardner, Meryl P.
- 64-74 Using scenarios in strategic decision making
by Linneman, Robert E. & Klein, Harold E.
- 75-79 The myth and reality of supervisory development
by Hays, Richard D.
1984, Volume 27, Issue 6
- 2-6 We owe it to ourselves
by Bateman, J. Fred
- 7-9 A nickel for your thoughts
by Boone, Louis E.
- 10-14 "Yes, but ...": Hidden criteria for judging managerial innovations
by Elbing, C. J.
- 15-20 The zero-sum management disease and the von Thunen prescription
by Richardson, Barrie
- 21-28 Product rejuvenation strategies
by Lazer, William & Luqmani, Mushtaq & Quraeshi, Zahir
- 29-35 The collaborative approach to marketing
by Rosenberg, Larry J. & Van West, James H.
- 36-37 Numbers don't lie--do they?
by Seymour, Daniel
- 38-42 Demographic data banks: A new management resource
by Vaughn, Ronald L.
- 43-49 An industrial policy: What does it mean?
by Neef, Marian G.
- 50-56 Why Sam can't plan: Industrial policy and the perils of a nonadaptive political economy
by Daneke, Gregory A.
- 57-61 Videoconferencing
by Green, David & Hansell, Kathleen J.
- 62-66 Managing innovation: Military strategy in business
by Cawood, David
- 67-76 Untangling the muddled management of public affairs
by Sonnenfeld, Jeffrey
- 77-81 Information packages for directors
by Waldo, Charles N.
- 82-83 The welfare state and beyond : by Gunnar Heckscher, University of Minnesota Press, 1984
by Tilton, Timothy A.
- 83-84 East-West trade at a Crossroad : by Robert Roosa, Michiya Matsukawa, and Armin Gutowski
by Marer, Paul
1984, Volume 27, Issue 5
- 2-6 The 1984 election: What difference will it make?
by O'Lessker, Karl
- 7-16 The product life cycle trap
by Bennett, Roger C. & Cooper, Robert G.
- 17-23 Can quality circles survive in the United States?
by Blair, John D. & Whitehead, Carlton J.
- 24-29 Planning for employee health and safety
by Hunt, Herbert III
- 30-33 Zero-in: A Technique for formulating better mission statements
by Lundberg, Craig C.
- 34-41 Ironies of our computer age
by McGarrah, Robert E.
- 42-48 Altering the fabric of work: Beyond the behavioral sciences
by Bowman, James S.
- 49-53 Survival
by Custer, Stephen W.
- 54-58 Entrepreneurial managers in large organizations
by Molz, Richard
- 59-61 Creating the illusion of indispensability
by Roush, John A.
- 62-65 Balancing dominance: Diagnosing the buyer-supplier relationship
by Watson, Craig M.
- 66-70 Planning trees: A CEO's guide through the corporate planning maze
by Rubin, Leonard R.
- 71-77 Selling assertively
by Jolson, Marvin A.
- 78-82 Say goodbye to the merchant mystique
by Cornwall, Deborah J.
- 83-84 Human systems are different
by Vickers, Sir Geoffrey
- 85-86 Macroeconomics and micropolitics: The electoral effects of economic issues
by Kiewiet, D. Roderick
1984, Volume 27, Issue 4
- 2-8 Where reaganomics succeeded, where it failed, and why
by Wilson, George W.
- 9-16 Reducing the economic and human cost of layoffs
by Fouler, Myron D. & Shuler, Dennis W.
- 17-23 The trouble with Japanese management systems
by Odiorne, George S.
- 24-30 How to use bottom-line writing in corporate communications
by Fielden, John S. & Dulek, Ronald E.
- 31-36 Sales force budgeting
by Dalrymple, Douglas J. & Thorelli, Hans B.
- 37-42 Are there any real benefits from office automation?
by Foley Curley, Kathleen
- 43-48 The driving force of successful organizations
by Truskie, Stanley D.
- 49-54 Using intuition to manage organizations in the future
by Agor, Weston H.
- 55-58 Beyond rationality
by Caballero, Marjorie & Dickinson, Roger
- 59-64 New directions for lifestyle behavior patterns
by Michman, Ronald D.
- 65-69 Applying marketing principles to social causes
by Barach, Jeffrey A.
- 70-74 Faculty turnover within academics: The case of business professors
by Daniels, John P. & Shane, Hugh M. & Wall, Jerry L.
- 75-79 Reactions to the career plateau
by Near, Janet P.
- 80-85 Controlling burnout: A leadership guide for managers
by Niehouse, Oliver I.
1984, Volume 27, Issue 3
- 2-6 The editor's chair The cathedral and the parish
by Heerema, Douglas
- 7-14 Technology and marketing: The magic mix?
by Kiel, Geoffrey
- 15-21 The action profile: A practical aid to career development and succession planning
by Burnett, Robert S. & Waters, James A.
- 22-32 Managing cross-gender mentoring
by Clawson, James G. & Kram, Kathy E.
- 33-36 Is there life after 5?
by Foegen, J. H.
- 37-39 Manufacturing market share
by Kaydos, W. J.
- 40-43 Product quality: An important strategic weapon
by Garvin, David A.
- 44-47 Ideational item Avoiding the pitfalls of managementThink
by Leo, Mario
- 48-52 Quality circles--The latest fad or a real winner?
by O'Donnell, Merle & O'Donnell, Robert J.
- 53-56 Attributes of the entrepreneurial type
by Olson, Philip D. & Bosserman, Debra A.
- 57-64 Getting results from your MRP system
by Anderson, John C. & Schroeder, Roger G.
- 65-68 The impact of crisis on managerial behavior
by Slatter, Stuart St. P.
- 69-75 Up on the wall: Posting salaried openings
by Miller, J. W.
- 76-83 Organizational imperatives and cultural modifiers
by Gorden, William I.
- 84-86 Latin American experiments in neoconservative economics : by Alejandro Foxley
by Weeks, John
1984, Volume 27, Issue 2
- 2-4 The editor's chair The responsibility of schools of business to teach ethics
by Long, John D.
- 5-11 Can free enterprise survive ethical Schizophrenia?
by Chewning, Richard C.
- 12-15 Next to godliness
by Farmer, Richard
- 16-21 Balancing the "Family" and the "Business" in family business
by Holland, Phyllis G. & Boulton, William R.
- 22-29 Ideational item The politics of the press
by Evans, Fred J.
- 30-37 The hidden value: Key to successful acquisition
by Parsons, Andrew J.
- 38-46 Robotics: Challenges for the human resources manager
by Knod, Edward Jr. & Wall, Jerry L. & Daniels, John P. & Shane, Hugh M. & Wernimont, Theodore A.
- 47-49 Avoid meetings or make them work
by Soden, Glenn W.
- 50-56 The sales manager: Tomorrow's super marketer
by Rosenbloom, Bet & Anderson, Rolph E.
- 58-59 Managerial ignorance or savvy? Another look
by Gannon, Martin J.
- 60-63 Managerial ignorance or savvy--revisited
by Von der Embse, Thomas J.
- 64-68 Planning the multinational's future
by Popoff, Frank P.
- 69-76 Streamlining: Necessary strategy for licking a profit crunch
by Chastain, Clark E.
- 77-79 The paperless chase: Gaining support for office automation
by Matherly, Donna M.
- 80-86 Academic strategy: The management revolution in American higher education : by George Keller
by Mehlinger, Howard