The age-productivity pattern: Do location and sector affiliation matter?
Current demographic developments are expected to challenge the sustainability of welfare in industrialised economies. Persistent low fertility levels and increasing survival rates to older age imply a decreasing share of younger individuals within the labour force that needs to support an increasing share of old people out of the labour force. We use matched employeremployee data for Austria at the firm level in order to study the link between the age structure and labour productivity and concentrate on the role played by regional location and sector affiliation. We apply multilevel estimation techniques in order to account for systematic variation of the age-productivity pattern with regard to these two dimensions. Our results indicate that the age-productivity pattern differs significantly across regions and across sectors and that sectoral differences are the more sizable source of heterogeneity in the link between the age structure and firm productivity.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10, 1040 Wien|
Phone: 0043 1 58801 10531
Fax: 0043 1 58801 105399
Web page: http://www.econ.tuwien.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benoit Dostie, 2011.
"Wages, Productivity and Aging,"
Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 139-158, June.
- Dostie, Benoit, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," IZA Discussion Papers 2496, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Dostie, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," Cahiers de recherche 0645, CIRPEE.
- Benoit Dostie, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," Cahiers de recherche 06-15, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Benoit Dostie, 2007. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-02, CIRANO.
- V. Vandenberghe & F. Waltenberg & M. Rigo, 2013. "Ageing and employability. Evidence from Belgian firm-level data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 111-136, August.
- Mariann RIGO & Vincent VANDENBERGHE & Fabio WALTENBERG, 2012. "Ageing and Employability. Evidence from Belgian Firm-Level Data," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2012011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Thierry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2009. "Are Older Workers Harmful for Firm Productivity?," De Economist, Springer, vol. 157(3), pages 273-292, September.
- Skans, Oskar Nordstrom, 2005. "Age effects in Swedish local labor markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 419-426, March.
- Nordström Skans, Oskar, 2002. "Age effects in Swedish local labour markets," Working Paper Series 2002:11, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2012. "Where Is The Economics In Spatial Econometrics?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 210-239, 05.
- Corrado, Luisa & Fingleton, Bernard, 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33581, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Corrado, L. & Fingleton, B., 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-02, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?," SERC Discussion Papers 0071, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?," Working Papers 1101, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Göbel, Christian & Zwick, Thomas, 2009. "Age and productivity: evidence from linked employer employee data," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-020, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark, 1995. "Are Earnings Profiles Steeper Than Productivity Profiles? Evidence from Israeli Firm-Level Data," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(1), pages 89-112.
- Raspe, Otto & van Oort, Frank G., 2011. "Firm heterogeneity, productivity and spatially bounded knowledge externalities," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 38-47, March.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Freund, Inga & Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Prskawetz, Alexia, 2013. "Ageing, productivity and wages in Austria," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 5-15.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Freund, Inga & Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Prskawetz, Alexia, 2011. "Ageing, productivity and wages in Austria," ECON WPS - Vienna University of Technology Working Papers in Economic Theory and Policy 03/2011, Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, Research Group Economics (ECON).
- Jan Ours & Lenny Stoeldraijer, 2011. "Age, Wage and Productivity in Dutch Manufacturing," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 113-137, June.
- Julia I. Lane & John C. Haltiwanger & James Spletzer, 1999. "Productivity Differences across Employers: The Roles of Employer Size, Age, and Human Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 94-98, May.
- Ana Cardoso & Paulo Guimarães & José Varejão, 2011. "Are Older Workers Worthy of Their Pay? An Empirical Investigation of Age-Productivity and Age-Wage Nexuses," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 95-111, June.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Guimaraes, Paulo & Varejão, José, 2010. "Are Older Workers Worthy of Their Pay? An Empirical Investigation of Age-Productivity and Age-Wage Nexuses," IZA Discussion Papers 5121, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aiello, Francesco & Pupo, Valeria & Ricotta, Fernand, 2011. "Explaining TFP at firm level in Italy. Does location matter?," MPRA Paper 35656, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Aiello & Valeria Pupo & Fernanda Ricotta, 2012. "Explaining Tfp At Firm Level In Italy. Does Location Matter?," Working Papers 201202, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza "Giovanni Anania" - DESF.
- Freund, Inga & Mahlberg, Bernhard & Prskawetz, Alexia, 2011. "A matched employer-employee panel data set for Austria: 2002 - 2005," ECON WPS - Vienna University of Technology Working Papers in Economic Theory and Policy 01/2011, Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, Research Group Economics (ECON).
- Inga Freund & Bernhard Mahlberg & Alexia Prskawetz, 2012. "A Matched Employer-Employee Panel Data Set for Austria: 2002-2005," Working Paper Series of the German Council for Social and Economic Data 206, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).