Ageing, productivity and wages in Austria
The current demographic developments and their consequences for workforce ageing challenge the sustainability of intergenerational transfers and economic growth. A shrinking share of the young workforce will have to support a growing share of elderly, non-working people. Therefore, the productivity of the workforce is central to a sustainable economic future. In order to study the relation between the age structure of employees and labour productivity at the firm level, we use a new matched employer-employee panel data set for Austrian firms spanning the period 2002- 2005. These data allow us to account simultaneously for socio-demographic characteristics of the employees as well as firm heterogeneity to explain labour productivity. Our results clearly show that the age-productivity as well as age-wage profile have a strong industry-specific component. In the service sector, an ageing workforce does not necessarily imply a negative productivity effect. Moreover, we cannot find any evidence for an overpayment of elderly employees.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10, 1040 Wien|
Phone: 0043 1 58801 10531
Fax: 0043 1 58801 105399
Web page: http://www.econ.tuwien.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Guimaraes, Paulo & Varejão, José, 2010.
"Are Older Workers Worthy of Their Pay? An Empirical Investigation of Age-Productivity and Age-Wage Nexuses,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5121, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ana Cardoso & Paulo Guimarães & José Varejão, 2011. "Are Older Workers Worthy of Their Pay? An Empirical Investigation of Age-Productivity and Age-Wage Nexuses," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 95-111, June.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis, 1999. "The analysis of labor markets using matched employer-employee data," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 40, pages 2629-2710 Elsevier.
- Alexia Prskawetz & Thomas Fent, 2007. "Workforce Ageing And The Substitution Of Labour: The Role Of Supply And Demand Of Labour In Austria," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 95-126, 02.
- van Ours, J.C., 2009.
"Will You still Need Me - When I'm 64?,"
2009-51, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Benoit Dostie, 2011.
"Wages, Productivity and Aging,"
Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 139-158, June.
- Benoit Dostie, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," Cahiers de recherche 06-15, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Dostie, Benoit, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," IZA Discussion Papers 2496, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Dostie, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," Cahiers de recherche 0645, CIRPEE.
- Benoit Dostie, 2007. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-02, CIRANO.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2007.
"Fun with Matched Firm-Employee Data: Progress and Road Maps,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2580, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hamermesh, Daniel, 2008. "Fun with matched firm-employee data: Progress and road maps," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 662-672, August.
- Jan C. van Ours & Lenny Stoeldraijer, 2010.
"Age, Wage and Productivity,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2965, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hellerstein, J-K & Neumark, D, 1995.
"Sex, Wages, and Productivity : an Empirical Analysis of Israeli, Firm-Level Data,"
9501, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Hellerstein, Judith K & Neumark, David, 1999. "Sex, Wages, and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis of Israeli Firm-Level Data," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 95-123, February.
- Thierry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2009. "Are Older Workers Harmful for Firm Productivity?," De Economist, Springer, vol. 157(3), pages 273-292, September.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark & Kenneth R. Troske, 1996.
"Wages, Productivity, and Worker Characteristics: Evidence from Plant-Level Production Functions and Wage Equations,"
NBER Working Papers
5626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hellerstein, Judith K & Neumark, David & Troske, Kenneth R, 1999. "Wages, Productivity, and Worker Characteristics: Evidence from Plant-Level Production Functions and Wage Equations," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(3), pages 409-46, July.
- James L. Medoff & Katharine G. Abraham, 1980.
"Experience, Performance, and Earnings,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 95(4), pages 703-736.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Maliranta, Mika, 2007. "Aging, Labor Turnover and Firm Performance," Discussion Papers 1092, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Patrick Aubert & Bruno Crépon, 2003. "La productivité des salariés âgés : une tentative d'estimation," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 368(1), pages 95-119.
- Abowd, John M. & Kramarz, Francis, 1999. "Econometric analyses of linked employer-employee data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 53-74, March.
- Inga Freund & Bernhard Mahlberg & Alexia Prskawetz, 2012.
"A Matched Employer-Employee Panel Data Set for Austria: 2002-2005,"
Working Paper Series of the German Council for Social and Economic Data
206, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).
- Freund, Inga & Mahlberg, Bernhard & Prskawetz, Alexia, 2011. "A matched employer-employee panel data set for Austria: 2002 - 2005," ECON WPS - Vienna University of Technology Working Papers in Economic Theory and Policy 01/2011, Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, Research Group Economics (ECON).
- Alexia Prskawetz & Bernhard Mahlberg & Vegard Skirbekk, 2007. "Firm Productivity, Work-force Age and Educational Structure in Austrian Industries in 2001," Chapters, in: Population Aging, Intergenerational Transfers and the Macroeconomy, chapter 3 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1979. "Why Is There Mandatory Retirement?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1261-84, December.
- Dietmar Harhoff, 1998.
"R&D and Productivity in German Manufacturing Firms,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 29-50.
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 1994. "R&D and productivity in German manufacturing firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 94-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Anna Cristina D'Addio & Mark Keese & Edward Whitehouse, 2010. "Population ageing and labour markets," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(4), pages 613-635, Winter.
- Julia I. Lane & John C. Haltiwanger & James Spletzer, 1999. "Productivity Differences across Employers: The Roles of Employer Size, Age, and Human Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 94-98, May.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark, 1995. "Are Earnings Profiles Steeper Than Productivity Profiles? Evidence from Israeli Firm-Level Data," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(1), pages 89-112.
- James Levinsohn & Amil Petrin, 2003. "Estimating Production Functions Using Inputs to Control for Unobservables," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 317-341.
- Göbel, Christian & Zwick, Thomas, 2009. "Age and productivity: evidence from linked employer employee data," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-020, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jan Ours & Lenny Stoeldraijer, 2011. "Age, Wage and Productivity in Dutch Manufacturing," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(2), pages 113-137, June.
- Stoeldraijer, Lenny & van Ours, Jan C, 2010. "Age, wage and productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 7713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- BÃ¶rsch-Supan, Axel & DÃ¼zgÃ¼n, Ismail & Weiss, Matthias, 2005. "Altern und ProduktivitÃ¤t: Zum Stand der Forschung," MEA discussion paper series 05073, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuweco:032011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.