Fiscal Reform and Monetary Union in West Africa
The paper explores the interaction between the proposed monetary union for ECOWAS and structural reforms of fiscal policy. The effects depend to a large extent on the degree of similarity of member countries. In a monetary union of similar countries, member states run a more distortive fiscal policy, while their structural reform efforts will fall. This is also the case for countries that unilaterally peg to an anchor currency or introduce a foreign currency. In an monetary union with dissimilar countries the reverse can happen for those member states that are confronted with high distortion countries. This result implies that current WAEMU members will run a less distortive fiscal policy after the inclusion of other members of ECOWAS.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, D-20347 Hamburg|
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/20
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fatás, Antonio & Rose, Andrew K, 2001. "Do Monetary Handcuffs Restrain Leviathan? Fiscal Policy in Extreme Exchange Rate Regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 2692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Etienne B Yehoue, 2005. "On the Pattern of Currency Blocs in Africa," IMF Working Papers 05/45, .
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers,"
1995-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Lans Bovenberg, A., 1998. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 239-258, August.
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg A. Lans, 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Research Memorandum 024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary Union without Fiscal Coordination May Discipline Policymakers," DELTA Working Papers 95-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Ernesto HernÃ¡ndez-CatÃ¡ & C. A. FranÃ§ois, 1998. "The West African Economic and Monetary Union; Recent Developments and Policy Issues," IMF Occasional Papers 170, International Monetary Fund.
- William Easterly, 1999.
"When is fiscal adjustment an illusion?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 55-86, 04.
- David Fielding & Kalvinder Shields, 2003. "Economic Integration in West Africa: Does the CFA Make a Difference?," Discussion Papers in Economics 03/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Beetsma, Roel & Jensen, Henrik, 1999.
"Structural Convergence Under Reversible and Irreversible Monetary Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2116, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Jensen, Henrik, 2003. "Structural convergence under reversible and irreversible monetary unification," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 417-439, June.
- Roel M.W.J. Beetsma & Henrik Jensen, "undated". "Structural Convergence under Reversible and Irreversible Monetary Unification," EPRU Working Paper Series 99-06, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Ozkan, F Gulcin & Sibert, Anne & Sutherland, Alan, 1997.
"Monetary Union, Entry Conditions and Economic Reform,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1720, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F. Gulcin Ozkan & Anne Sibert & Alan Sutherland, "undated". "Monetary Union, Entry Conditions and Economic Reform," Discussion Papers 97/15, Department of Economics, University of York.
- F. Gulcin Ozkan & Anne Sibert & Alan Sutherland, "undated". "Monetary Union, Entry Conditions and Economic Reform," EPRU Working Paper Series 00-03, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Fielding, David, 1996. "Asymmetries in the Behaviour of Members of a Monetary Union: A Game-Theoretic Model with an Application to West Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 5(3), pages 343-365, October.
- Honohan, Patrick & Lane, Philip R., 2000.
"Will the Euro trigger more monetary unions in Africa?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2393, The World Bank.
- Honohan, P. & Lane, P.R., 2000. "Will the Euro Trigger More Monetary Unions in Africa?," Research Paper 176, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Xavier Debrun & Paul Masson & Catherine Pattillo, 2005.
"Monetary union in West Africa: who might gain, who might lose, and why?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 454-481, May.
- Paul R Masson & Xavier Debrun & Catherine A Pattillo, 2002. "Monetary Union in West Africa; Who Might Gain, Who Might Lose, and Why?," IMF Working Papers 02/226, .
- Guillaume, Dominique M. & Stasavage, David, 2000. "Improving Policy Credibility: Is There a Case for African Monetary Unions?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1391-1407, August.
- Stanley Fischer & Ratna Sahay & Carlos A. Végh, 2002.
"Modern Hyper- and High Inflations,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 837-880, September.
- Helge Berger & Henrik Jensen & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2001.
"To Peg or Not To Peg? A Simple Model of Exchange Rate Regime Choice In Small Economies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
468, CESifo Group Munich.
- Berger, Helge & Jensen, Henrik & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2001. "To peg or not to peg?: A simple model of exchange rate regime choice in small economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 161-167, November.
- Patrick Honohan & Stephen A. O'Connell, 1997. "Contrasting Monetary Regimes in Africa," IMF Working Papers 97/64, .
- Beetsma, Roel & Uhlig, Harald, 1999. "An Analysis of the Stability and Growth Pact," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(458), pages 546-571, October.
- Stasavage, David, 1997. "The CFA Franc Zone and Fiscal Discipline," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 6(1), pages 132-167, March.
- Romain M Veyrune, 2007. "Fixed Exchange Rates and the Autonomy of Monetary Policy; The Franc Zone Case," IMF Working Papers 07/34, .
- Clausen, Volker & Wohltmann, Hans-Werner, 2005. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy in a Large Asymmetric Monetary Union - A Dynamic Three-Country Analysis," Economics Working Papers 2005,18, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash & Lambertini, Luisa, 2003. "Symbiosis of monetary and fiscal policies in a monetary union," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 235-247, August.
- Etienne B Yehoue, 2007. "The CFA Arrangements; More than Just An Aid Substitute?," IMF Working Papers 07/19, .
- Sibert, Anne & Sutherland, Alan, 1997.
"Monetary Regimes and Labour Market Reform,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1731, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwadp:26257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.