Monetary Union, Entry Conditions and Economic Reform
This paper models the behaviour of a potential entrant into a monetary union where there is an inflation entry condition. In addition to making a monetary policy decision during a qualifying period, the potential entrant must make a decision about structural reform. The paper shows that the entry condition can have two undesirable effects. First, it can lead to multiple equilibria because inflationary expectations acquire a self-fulfilling property. Second, the entry condition can lead to a reduction in the amount of reform. This is because the entry condition reduces inflationary expectations and thus reduces the incentive to reform.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 3532 4411
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/epru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ozkan, F. Gulcin & Sutherland, Alan, 1998.
"A currency crisis model with an optimising policymaker,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 339-364, April.
- Gulcin Ozkan & Alan Sutherland, "undated". "A Currency Crisis Model with an Optimising Policymaker," Discussion Papers 96/11, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Artis, Michael, 1996. "Alternative Transitions to EMU," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 1005-1015, July.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1995. "Macroeconomic Policy During a Transition to Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 1222, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter, 1995. "Macroeconomic Policy During a Transition to Monetary Union," CEP Discussion Papers dp0261, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1995. "Macroeconomic policy during a transition to monetary union," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20701, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Winkler, B, 1997. "Of Sticks and Carrots. Incentives and the Maastricht Road to EMU," Economics Working Papers eco97/02, European University Institute.
- Anne Sibert, 1996. "Monetary Integration and Economic Convergence," Archive Working Papers 030, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Sibert, Anne, 1997. "Monetary Integration and Economic Convergence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1561, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1994. "The Logic of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 4640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1995. "Alternative strategies towards monetary union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 483-491, April.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1996. "Monetary union and convergence economics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1091-1101, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)