Deindustrialisation. Lessons from the StructuralOutcomes of Post-Communist Transition
Theoretical and empirical studies show that deindustrialisation, broadly observed in developed countries, is an inherent part of the economic development pattern. However, post-communist countries, while being only middle-income economies, have also experienced deindustrialisation. Building on the model developed by Rowthorn and Wells (1987) we explain this phenomenon and show that there is a strong negative relationship between the magnitude of deindustrialisation and the efficiency and consistency of market reforms. We also demonstrate that reforms of the agricultural sector play a significant role in placing a transition country on a development path that guarantees convergence to EU employment structures.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763-5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier & Kremer, Michael, 1997.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1091-1126, November.
- Blanchard, O & Kremer, M, 1996. "Disorganization," Working papers 96-30, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Michael Kremer, 1997. "Disorganization," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 38, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Kremer, Michael R., 1997. "Disorganization," Scholarly Articles 3659691, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grafe, Clemens & Wyplosz, Charles, 1997.
"The Real Exchange Rate in Transition Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1773, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clemens Grafe & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The real exchange rate in transition economies," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20268, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- C Grafe & C Wyplosz, 1998. "The Real Exchange Rate in Transition Economies," CEP Discussion Papers dp0395, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Roland, Gerard, 1994.
"On the Speed and Sequencing of Privatisation and Restructuring,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1158-68, September.
- Roland, Gérard, 1994. "On the Speed and Sequencing of Privatization and Restructuring," CEPR Discussion Papers 942, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1995.
"The Dynamics of Political Support for Reform in Economies in Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1115, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrik Dani, 1995. "The Dynamics of Political Suppport for Reform in Economies in Transition," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 403-425, December.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1999.03 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Melo, Martha & Denizer, Cevdet & Gelb, Alan & Tenev, Stoyan, 1997. "Circumstance and choice : the role of initial conditions and policies in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1866, The World Bank.
- Roland Dohrn & Ullrich Heilemann, 1996. "The Chenery hypothesis and structural change in Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(2), pages 411-425, October.
- Richard Jackman & C Pauna, 1997. "Labour Market Policy and the Reallocation of Labour Across Sectors," CEP Discussion Papers dp0338, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 1996. "Deindustrialisation and Economic Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 172-83, January.
- Xiangkang Yin, 1999.
"A Dynamic Analysis of Overstaff in China's State-Owned Enterprises,"
1999.03, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Yin, Xiangkang, 2001. "A dynamic analysis of overstaff in China's state-owned enterprises," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 87-99, October.
- Ruggerone, Luigi, 1996. "Unemployment and Inflationary Finance Dynamics at the Early Stages of Transition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 483-94, March.
- Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Eduardo Borensztein & Andrew Berg, 1999. "The Evolution of Output in Transition Economies; Explaining the Differences," IMF Working Papers 99/73, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Jackman & C Pauna, 1997. "Labour market policy and the reallocation of labour across sectors," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2047, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Aghion, P. & Blanchard, O.J., 1993.
"On the Speed of Transition in Central Europe,"
93-8, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey Sachs, 1994. "Poland's Jump to the Market Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262691744, June.
- Peter Christoffersen & Peter Doyle, 2000. "From Inflation to Growth," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 421-451, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wdi:papers:2002-463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.